[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

Then again.....the Packers could be nothing but a bunch of BIG FAT LIARS! :D

The Press Gazette reports whatever evidence the Green Bay Packers have of the Minnesota Vikings' alleged tampering with QB Brett Favre, it does not include records from a team-issued cell phone for Favre. Contrary to several well publicized media reports, two sources — one in the NFL, another close to Favre — said Favre does not have a cell phone issued by the Packers. “One-hundred percent, without a doubt, no Packers-issued phone,” said the source close to Favre.

Bevell Wisconsin Badger.

:wacko: Maybe it was all hatched up to make Childress look dumber than Mike Tice. We want Tice back. We miss him.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, then where in the heck does he think that he's going to be able to start? It won't be in Seattle or Philly. Tampa sounds like the only reasonable fit, but it doesn't sound like either party is interested. And even then, he'd still have a small learning curve with Gruden's offense. Good luck with that with the season a month and a half way.

Oh, I'm in 100% agreement with you on that, Bill.

Letting your 2 guards and center go at the same time was pretty tough.

Wahle and Rivera went in '05, Flanagan left the NEXT year - and when you compare Scott Wells vs Flanagan from that point on, it looks like that also was a pretty wise move by TT.

Losing Wahle hurts, but a large part of losing Wahle was due to a bad contract that Mike Sherman signed him to - really, what team is going to give a LG a $6 million bonus?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/...hlightModules:2

GREEN BAY, Wis. — The Green Bay Packers, driven to the brink of desperation in their ongoing spat with Brett Favre, have discussed internally the possibility of trading the quarterback within the NFC North Division.

A source close to the situation told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Wednesday that the Packers were considering seeking a deal with one of their division rivals, most probably the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears, if backed into a corner by the NFL and public sentiment.

On Monday, general manager Ted Thompson said flatly that the Packers would not trade Favre within the division.

But having no prospects of trading Favre anywhere else and under increasing pressure from Commissioner Roger Goodell, the Packers are considering doing almost the unthinkable: not only trading Favre, but also to the Vikings, a team that will be their opponent Sept. 8 on opening night at Lambeau Field.

An NFL source said he understood from the Packers that trading within the NFC North would be a last resort. They still hope to persuade Favre to be amenable to what the team regards as realistic trade possibilities with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Jets.

Although it has appeared to be quiet on the trading front in the last week, a deal with either team is far from dead. The Packers have had ongoing talks with both teams as recently as this week.

However, Favre has frustrated the Packers by refusing to speak with officials from the Buccaneers or Jets. That makes it almost impossible for the deal to materialize.

The Packers remain adamant about not releasing Favre. With Goodell expected to act on Favre's request for reinstatement as soon as Thursday, the Packers clearly don't want him in Green Bay and are running out of options.

On Wednesday, Packers President Mark Murphy met with James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, at Cook's law office in Hattiesburg, Miss., for about eight hours. The source said a central reason why Murphy went to Hattiesburg in the first place was that Goodell put heavy pressure on him to make the trip.

WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee reported that during the meeting, Murphy presented Favre and Cook with an offer in which the Packers would compensate Favre in the area of $20 million for the next 10 years in order to remain retired.

According to a source familiar with both sides, this was not the first time that the two sides had discussed a financial arrangement that would tie Favre to the organization for years to come. It is thought that the discussions began as early as a few months ago.

It remains unclear whether the offer was made shortly after Favre retired or when he began expressing a desire to play football again.

If the offer was made, in some people's opinion it might reflect poorly on the organization and general manager Ted Thompson, who is in charge of football decisions. Some might interpret it as the Packers trying to buy off their Hall of Fame player.

Favre, who worked out Wednesday morning at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, participated in the meeting with Murphy for several hours before leaving without comment.

When Murphy left several hours later, he had a frustrated expression on his face and also declined to comment.

In a statement issued Wednesday night, Murphy says: "We discussed a number of topics not related to football, including Brett's long-term relationship with the Packers. I consider our conversation to be confidential, and am going to be respectful of Brett and his family and keep the details private.

"Ted and Mike (McCarthy) and I are going to continue to work on the football side of this issue. They have my full support."

Later, Cook emerged and was asked about Murphy.

"I don't know about all that," Cook said. "When you're doing negotiations there's ups and downs. I can't speak for Mark's feelings."

Cook went on to say that if Favre was reinstated on Thursday, it was a "very good possibility" that he would report Friday. The Packers don't practice Thursday, work twice Friday and once Saturday before holding their intra-squad scrimmage Sunday night at Lambeau Field.

"There's nothing that says he has to be there at a certain time," Cook said. "Except for the fact that once he's reinstated the Packers are practicing.

"Will they cut him? Will they trade him? I don't know."

Cook said he and Favre hadn't talked to any teams that might have expressed interest in a trade.

"He'd love to go back to Green Bay," Cook said. "That's why he started working out. But right now it looks like he'll be the quarterback at Oak Grove High School."

The New York Jets wanted to talk to Favre, but their efforts were rebuffed by Favre, the source said. The Jets appear to have little hopes of luring Favre.

The Vikings plan to start Tarvaris Jackson at quarterback, with Gus Frerotte and Brooks Bollinger in relief. The Bears have Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman competing for the job.

Greg Aiello, a spokesman for the NFL, said Goodell took no action on Favre's request for reinstatement Wednesday.

"He wants to give both the Packers and Brett an appropriate amount of time to make decisions, including decisions impacting the team's roster and salary cap," Aiello said.

A source told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Packers “were considering seeking a deal with one of their division rivals, most probably the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears, if backed into a corner by the National Football League and public sentiment.”

An unnamed source I'll bet. :wacko:

If Favre is going to be a jerk abut this and try and bully the team sit him down like MeShawn. He won't talk to the Jets or Tampa. Deactivate his ass if he won't cooperate.

A source told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Packers “were considering seeking a deal with one of their division rivals, most probably the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears, if backed into a corner by the National Football League and public sentiment.”

An unnamed source I'll bet. :wacko:

If Favre is going to be a jerk abut this and try and bully the team sit him down like MeShawn. He won't talk to the Jets or Tampa. Deactivate his ass if he won't cooperate.

The team has kind of brought this on itself at this point. They still seem to fail to realize that Favre IS coming back and there is nothing they can do to stop it. It's like they keep thinking if they close enough doors Favre will eventually just give it up. They need to get real. Either release him and let him negotiate his own deal, or trade him to a team that wants him (and that is a short list). One thing they do not need is for Favre to show up on Friday. They have stalled all they can on this. If they want to get something for him they better just take whatever the Vikings or the Bears have to offer. TODAY!

Please just let this thing end already...

The team has kind of brought this on itself at this point. They still seem to fail to realize that Favre IS coming back and there is nothing they can do to stop it. It's like they keep thinking if they close enough doors Favre will eventually just give it up. They need to get real. Either release him and let him negotiate his own deal, or trade him to a team that wants him (and that is a short list). One thing they do not need is for Favre to show up on Friday. They have stalled all they can on this. If they want to get something for him they better just take whatever the Vikings or the Bears have to offer. TODAY!

Please just let this thing end already...

The team has brought this on? He retired, then unretired to retire again and then un-retired. Give me a break.

He has refused to even speak to the teams they tried trading him to. Trying to bully a trade to an NFC North team is really going to help you in the eyes of fans Brett. Nice job man. Keep up the good work.

The team has brought this on? He retired, then unretired to retire again and then un-retired. Give me a break.

He has refused to even speak to the teams they tried trading him to. Trying to bully a trade to an NFC North team is really going to help you in the eyes of fans Brett. Nice job man. Keep up the good work.

No, I will not give you a break.

I think all of us rational adults can agree that Favre is in the wrong here, that is not the issue I am discussing if you are paying attention.

The issue here is that the Packers have underestimated Favre's resolve to push this thing to the limit. I mean, trying to bribe him with $$? The Packers are the ones that need to get real. The very notion that they could buy their way out of this mess shows just how clueless they are as to what they are up against.

Favre is going to get his way. The Packers need to just accept that and resolve the situation and appease him however necessary. He wants to play for the Vikings? Fine. Send him there. The only other choice is to let Favre come in and blow up the locker-room. Pick your poison.

This is getting ridiculous.

The Packers are only SLIGHTLY at fault for creating the initial bad situation. But since the bad situation has reared its ugly head, I am NOT impressed with the way Ted Thompson has handled it -- and the Packers' PR staff is an embarrassment right now. They better address this "bribe" situation IMMEDIATELY or the tide is going to turn against ALL of them at once -- Thompson, McCarthy, and Murphy, too.

If Bob Harlan hasn't become involved yet, he needs to step in for some trusted counsel. And I certainly hope TT has been consulting with Ron Wolf.

The only way this whole thing will make any sense is if there's something we don't know yet about the division between Favre and the management.

This whole thing is getting ridiculous.

On GB's behalf, it's good business making him wait if in fact they are going to release him. The longer they keep him from getting into camp with another team, the more disruptive it's going to be for that team, and the less time he'll have to work in the system and with the WRs.

In the meantime, from what I understand, there is a blogger logging every pass that non-Favre QBs make during 11 on 11 drills at GB's camp and posting it for all to see. Rodgers was 7 for 8 yesterday, with the only inc. being a throw-away to avoid a sack. :wacko:

Actually, there is something more to be said. Unless I've misread my Constitution and Bill of Rights, there is no right to be employed as a QB in the NFL. There are also some issues regarding the CBA and contracts signed by both Green Bay and Favre.

Perhaps I'm wrong and you can point me in the proper direction.

Pay attention BB over the next couple of days when Roger Goodell (who probably knows a wee bit more than you about the NFL) forces the Packers to release or trade Favre. As I said, the man has a right to work :wacko::D

Here's a question that hasn't been asked yet...

Now that Favre has faxed his signed reinstatement letter, where the hell is the NFLPA? It seems to me that Goodell is stalling, and his stalling certainly doesn't serve Favre's purposes -- it only helps the team.

If I were Brett, I'd be on my way to Green Bay right now so I can walk into Lambeau the very instant Goodell reinstates me. That's Favre's only leverage right now.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Pay attention BB over the next couple of days when Roger Goodell (who probably knows a wee bit more than you about the NFL) forces the Packers to release or trade Favre. As I said, the man has a right to work :wacko::D

:D

A man does have a right to work. What he doesn't have is a right to be a NFL QB.

Pay attention yourself. Goodell wouldn't be the one forcing GB - and if he did, it would be a giant step down the slippery slope. League rules state that a team has 24 hours (I believe) to determine what to do with a player once they are reinstated by the commish, either add him to the roster or release him. If they add him to the roster, they can then trade him.

If GB really wants to play hardball, they'll keep Favre on the roster and then make him part of the last cuts, which would be well within their rights. I don't think they'd do it, but the way Favre has been acting he deserves it.

Here's a question that hasn't been asked yet...

Now that Favre has faxed his signed reinstatement letter, where the hell is the NFLPA? It seems to me that Goodell is stalling, and his stalling certainly doesn't serve Favre's purposes -- it only helps the team.

If I were Brett, I'd be on my way to Green Bay right now so I can walk into Lambeau the very instant Goodell reinstates me. That's Favre's only leverage right now.

I believe Favre, Bus Cook, and GB have agreed to have Goodell wait on the reinstatement request while they tried to negotiate yesterday. Once Favre and/or Cook tells Goodell to move forward, the commish will accomodate him.

Edited by Bronco Billy

:D

A man does have a right to work. What he doesn't have is a right to be a NFL QB.

He does have a right if he is under contract to do so :wacko:

You mean he can't be cut? Really? And Favre's contract specifically states that if he is under contract with a NFL team, that 1) He has to play QB, and 2) that the team has to start him? Could you provide that documentation for us, please?

Stop already. You've dropped trou enough.

Now blackmail is getting involved and all sides look bad for that. :wacko:

Fixed....both sides already look bad. Thye are offering him $20M to NOT play football....this thing is about as ridiculous a situation as I have seen in my 25+ years of enjoying the NFL.

My stance: I make bad decisions all the time, and I have to live with them. Favre made a bad one by "officially" retiring early. He needs to live with the consequences that go along with trying to "undo" his decision, and the fact that the Packers can control his desitiny however they see fit. No one forced Favre into a profession where he had to sign a contract to play a game...he decided to do it himself. He needs to live with the pre-mature choice he made.

For a guy that is 'all about the Packers", he certainly seems to have no remorse about having backed them into a small corner.

He does have a right if he is under contract to do so :wacko:

You mean he can't be cut? Really? And Favre's contract specifically states that if he is under contract with a NFL team, that 1) He has to play QB, and 2) that the team has to start him? Could you provide that documentation for us, please?

Stop already. You've dropped trou enough.

Of course he can be cut, I would imagine nothing would make him and Bus Cook happier. Green Bay's has asked him not to report and has basically offered him a bribe not to play. Here's what you don't get, the guy wants to start at QB in the NFL and is one of the few people on the planet who can and the Packers are doing all they can to prevent it. He got his team to the NFC championship last year and as of today is better that at least 50% of the starters in the NFL. Green Bay's position is outrageous and you are a dope. I think I hear footballguys crying out for some lame RB rankings and a know a vilage somewhere weeps.

the guy wants to start at QB in the NFL and is one of the few people on the planet who can and the Packers are doing all they can to prevent it.

If that is the case, why is he refusing to talk to the Bucs or Jets about a trade that the Packers gave him permission to do so?

Let's understand that GB is trying to do what is best for GB. That's reasonable.

Paying Favre $20M over 10 years just to stay retired ends the whole controversy, and gets them off the hook for having to make the tough decision while giving Favre a little additional compensation. My question is who went to the press with this? It sure as hell wasn't GB, so again Favre attempts to embarrass GB - which he's done repeatedly throughout this whole thing - which was his own doing.

GB has been trying to trade him to get some return, but apparently that isn't good enough for Favre. The GB tries to give him additonal money to stay retired. Still not good enough. Favre wants to not only play again, but he wants to dictate all the terms of his reinstatement and subsequent employment. He's screwing GB every which way in this whole thing, and he's constantly put GB into no-win situations and then gone running to the press with it.

GB needs to come to grips with the fact that Favre no longer has any loyalty to the team whatsoever and is willing to make them look bad at every opportunity. Release him and live with the results. With any luck, and if there is karma, he'll come up with one of his infamous 6 pick games when GB plays MIN in week 1.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Of course he can be cut, I would imagine nothing would make him and Bus Cook happier. Green Bay's has asked him not to report and has basically offered him a bribe not to play. Here's what you don't get, the guy wants to start at QB in the NFL and is one of the few people on the planet who used to be able to and the Packers are doing all they can to prevent it. He got his team to the NFC championship last year and as of today is better that at least 50% of the starters in the NFL. Green Bay's position is outrageous and you are a dope. I think I hear footballguys crying out for some lame RB rankings and a know a vilage somewhere weeps.

Fixed.