[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buster Posey

Brent

Giants announced he broke a bone in his lower leg, and also needs an MRI to determine any ligament damage in his knee....done for the season, and his catching days may be over if his knee needs to be reconstructed.

Terrible loss for the Giants....I wish him well in his recovery.

you guys know i am a hugh giants fan..my reaction has little to do with my allegiance to them. i am conflicted on this...was watching the game as it happened:

- plays to the plate are one of the most exciting plays in the game-> wouldn't want to see them go away.

- these plays are relatively rare (so apples and oranges when looking at protecting qb's and wr's)

on the other hand:

- catchers are very vulnerable on these plays

- we do see career ending injuries from them

i guess i would like to see a legitimate attempt to touch home plate when crossing. in this case i saw coghlan lunge at posey. flukish injury, but could have been avoided if he didn't put his head down and bull rush him. posey was not in position yet and did not have the plate blocked. if coghlan had gone straight or to the right instead of veering left into posey, i don't think the injury happens.

you guys know i am a hugh giants fan..my reaction has little to do with my allegiance to them. i am conflicted on this...was watching the game as it happened:

- plays to the plate are one of the most exciting plays in the game-> wouldn't want to see them go away.

- these plays are relatively rare (so apples and oranges when looking at protecting qb's and wr's)

on the other hand:

i guess i would like to see a legitimate attempt to touch home plate when crossing. in this case i saw coghlan lunge at posey. flukish injury, but could have been avoided if he didn't put his head down and bull rush him. posey was not in position yet and did not have the plate blocked. if coghlan had gone straight or to the right instead of veering left into posey, i don't think the injury happens.

It was actually Scott Cousins (not Coughlan) who collided with Posey. Terribly unfortunate, and I have mixed feelings, which I'll share later. I don't think it was a dirty play, but it was a somewhat unnecessary collision, IMO. What makes it worse is that Cousins is from San Francisco, and had a bunch of family at the game for his homecoming. Sucks for him (I don't think there was any ill intent, and the last thing he probably wanted to do was hurt the Giants best player), and obviously sucks even worse for Buster. Hopefully, he can come back (most likely next season) at full strength, and this injury doesn't have any major long-term negative impact on his career.

Edited by Gopher

on the other hand:

I'm not going to watch the play, so I'll take your word for this one, but so many times, the catchers block the plate so well that there really isn't a way without doing a crazy head-first hook slide to get to the plate. You'd just end up with more Josh Hamilton type injuries. To me, it bluntly comes down to.....if you value your catcher and need him in the lineup, give him a different glove.

Edited by Seahawks21

It was actually Scott Cousins (not Coughlan) who collided with Posey.

yes... i was never looking at the name during the live play or replays

Terribly unfortunate. I don't think it was a dirty play, but it was a somewhat unnecessary collision, IMO. Sucks for him (I don't think there was any ill intent, and the last thing he probably wanted to do was hurt the Giants best player), and obviously sucks even worse for Buster. Hopefully, he can come back (most likely next season) at full strength, and this injury doesn't have any major long-term negative impact on his career.

mostly agree. looked like he lunged though

mostly agree. looked like he lunged though

Agreed... That's why I said it was probably somewhat unnecessary, in hindsight. The problem with that, though, is that it's easy for us to say, but at full speed, it's not like a base-runner decides at the last minute, whether they are going to slide or collide with the catcher. In other words, in most cases, that decision is made some time between the point where they round third base, and when they are about 1/2-2/3 of the way between third and home. The best base-runners in the game might decide when they are just a few steps from the plate, while the worst base-runners may decide when they make the turn, and see the catcher's position. None of them decide when they are 1-2 steps away, which means they often decide BEFORE the catcher has put himself in position to make the play.

Posey wasn't exactly blocking the plate (other than with his left foot), but he was certainly in a position where he could have, if the throw had been more to the third-base side of the plate. It wasn't (it was closer to the first-base side), which was why he wasn't able to block the plate completely. I don't think Cousins did anything wrong... He's a high-energy guy, trying to keep his job in the majors. The only thing going through his mind (once he left third), on that play, is that he needs to do whatever it takes, to score that run. That's a much different mindset than some players (whose jobs are far more secure) would take, in that situation. I don't fault him for that, one bit.

Everybody who I have heard talk about Cousins, who knows him (including his college coach, current/former teammates, etc.) has said that he's a class act, who would never do anything to intentionally hurt another player. I just think it was a very unfortuante set of circumstances/events. As far as rules changes go, I'm not sure what could be done to avoid this. The only thing that I think would be somewhat effective, would be if MLB takes a stance similar to the NFL, in that they would critically review these types of plays, after the fact. In instances where it is clear that the base-runner was head-hunting, a significant fine is justified. That said, I think the NFL has gone slightly overboard, where it's more about the collsion being helmet-to-helmet (intentioal or not), and less about intent.

It is unfortunate that some of the rules of baseball whether written or unwritten , result in injuries on occasion. Early in the year swisher put a guy out for the year trying to break up a double play if my memory serves

It is unfortunate that some of the rules of baseball whether written or unwritten , result in injuries on occasion. Early in the year swisher put a guy out for the year trying to break up a double play if my memory serves

Look it's bad enough that they pussified football, leave baseball alone. go pussify hockey or bb,

Look it's bad enough that they pussified football, leave baseball alone. go pussify hockey or bb,

Easy Joe Douschmaggio. I didnt say to change anything. I just said its unfortunate when people get hurt due to these plays

Right. Baseball is such a manly game. :wacko:

As I see it Cousins went out of his way to level Posey. Posey was not blocking the plate. That type of play should not be tolerated. Period.

If the NFL reviews hits that are based upon a decision that might be made in split second in the midst of violent activity, than certainly baseball can review that play.

So if baseball permits catchers to block the plate (which I think is silly, but whatever), there should be a rule that a runner shouldn't be allowed to run into a catcher that is not blocking the plate.

It ain't that hard, really.

Right. Baseball is such a manly game. :wacko:

As I see it Cousins went out of his way to level Posey. Posey was not blocking the plate. That type of play should not be tolerated. Period.

If the NFL reviews hits that are based upon a decision that might be made in split second in the midst of violent activity, than certainly baseball can review that play.

So if baseball permits catchers to block the plate (which I think is silly, but whatever), there should be a rule that a runner shouldn't be allowed to run into a catcher that is not blocking the plate.

It ain't that hard, really.

This.

I do not for the life of me understand why the catcher is not permitted to simply step on the plate for a guy to be out (or have to turn back) as is the case with all the other bases.

This.

I do not for the life of me understand why the catcher is not permitted to simply step on the plate for a guy to be out (or have to turn back) as is the case with all the other bases.

He can do this for a forceout if the bases are loaded. Otherwise it has to be a tag out (like other bases if the preceding bases are not full).

Easy Joe Douschmaggio. I didnt say to change anything. I just said its unfortunate when people get hurt due to these plays

sorry wasn't directed at you, just used your comment. Just a general overall statement.

He can do this for a forceout if the bases are loaded. Otherwise it has to be a tag out (like other bases if the preceding bases are not full).

I get that. So, if a player running to second is forced to turn back or be tagged out, why is the same not true for the player running for home? The player running to second isn't allowed to smash into the shortstop.

I get that. So, if a player running to second is forced to turn back or be tagged out, why is the same not true for the player running for home? The player running to second isn't allowed to smash into the shortstop.

For a forceout, the 2B or SS usually gets out of the way of the baserunner after the forceout is applied, and the rule is the baserunner can't go out of the way to get to the fielder but can do so if the fielder is still in the basepath. The ump can call for a douple play if the runner goes out of the basepath to disrupt a double play attempt.

The giants GM is a complete joke for his comments, and Selig should drop the hammer on him for them.

I also feel the comments were absolutely unnecessary and a downright bad call by Sabean. But bring the hammer down :wacko: I've seen and heard a lot worse than the comments he made. He stated his opinion whether right or wrong he has the right to do that. Everybody knows that teams have a long memory about lots of things that happen between them and other players/teams. Whether it is or isn't an intentional thing that happens between teams like throwing at a guy taking a guy out at second or plowing a Catcher there is usually some type of price to pay that's just part of the game. Him stating it publicly is just dumb as you know in August when they go to Florida the spotlight will be shining bright and any tight pitch or marginally agressive play will be under the microscope and warnings will quickly be issued. As far as the whole Posey thing am I pissed it happened yep. Do I think it was a legal play yep. Do I care about Cousins and his feelings nope. Do I want to move on with it and root for the first place Giants yep. Do I hope Posey can get over it and get right back to form yep. If there is some kind of payback will I care nope. Is it all part of the game plowing catchers hitting batters payback for something a team feels there is a need for Double Yep and that's why I love to play this game and love to watch this game. So I say everyone media, Giants, fans, haters, East Coast Media get over it move on shut up about it and let's play some ball. Last time I checked we just took 3 outta 4 from the best offense in the Cards and did that by out slugging them. Game on.... Champions have to dig deep especially in controversial times. Here we go World Champs!! :lol:

Let's Go Giants :tup:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe