[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kids Gear

Delicious_bass

The Mrs and I are expecting our first child (boy) this September. We're in the process of picking out stuff for the little fella. For the "bigger" stuff, I have been reading up on a lot of products via Consumer Reports, reviews/ratings, etc. I know there are a lot of parents (particularly, dads) out there and I am hoping to get some discussion going here about what folks have found to be good (and bad) products out there. Anything you really like or find useful? How bout unneccessary items? Any brands/models that you've found to be particulary good or bad? If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be interested to read them. TIA.

Awesome time of your life, hope all goes well. First child, you use the baby monitor, second child, you don't use the baby monitor, lol.

The bottle warmer will be one of your new best friends (even if breast feeding, because that can even be stored in the fridge). My real advice is for you to change as many diapers now, while they are easy. Plus it builds good brownie points. From what I remember, there are certain diaper pails that can use any trash bag. Get a good one of those.

Again, chip in all you can for momma, you will be a hero. Good times, my friend, good times. :tup:

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Reminds me of the scene in an Arrested Developement episode that went something like ...

Mr. Bluth holding a breast pump

Michael: ...that's a breast pump, Dad.

Mr. Bluth: That is certainly not what I was using it for ...

Michael Bluth stares spooky eyed back into the camera

Graco carseat with base so you can pop it in and out. Buy extra base for 2nd vehicle. Graco stroller for car seat to latch onto. Use without carseat when older. When older Britax car seats.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Graco carseat with base so you can pop it in and out. Buy extra base for 2nd vehicle. Graco stroller for car seat to latch onto. Use without carseat when older. When older Britax car seats.

Was coming to post this exact thing.... Britax is top notch. Graco infant carrier that snaps into the stroller is key and a definite must have.

I don't have anything to add about "big ticket items" The car seat that just locks in is great and the extra base is essential. My parents were our primary daycare provider and we bought them an extra base also. It just makes it that much easier.

We spent more money on our first born in the way of name brand outfits and shoes. Don't do this! They outgrow clothes too quickly to spend that extra money on them. While you can sell them in garage sales later on, you will not make that money back because it is a name brand and it is just a waste of money!

I'll tell you one thing to avoid. Perego strollers.

My wife went to a used baby stuff thingy at one of the churches in town. The stroller was basically brand new, no tire wear, everything in top shape. THe stroller sucks, this is why it had no tire wear. You can't steer the things, they're awful. And new they're like $300...

This. And, the pack-n-play will be your best friends. Get a decent baby monitor, too.

Beware of video monitors, even though they're kinda cool. You could cross-signals with another video monitor and actually start watching someone elses baby and vice-versa. When I first saw into someone else's baby room I was freaked-out...I was like...what am I seeing, that's not our son's room...and then low-and-behold, some woman strolls in and starts breast-feeding her kid..was I wrong to keep watching...and make popcorn... :shades:

A $35 Fisher Price bouncy seat

We have about $35k worth of baby gear, but that thing's the best. You can move it around, with the kid in it, with ease, which is particularly good if he falls asleep in it. Take it with you on the road. He doesn't overheat in it like he does in the armored car seat. Throw some hanging toys on the bar and he even has something with which to occupy himself.

:tup:

Graco carseat with base so you can pop it in and out. Buy extra base for 2nd vehicle. Graco stroller for car seat to latch onto. Use without carseat when older.

Very solid advice.

Never forget kids love cardboard boxes. Congrats.

Very solid advice.

Never forget kids love cardboard boxes. Congrats.

Who doesn't love cardboard boxes?!?!?!

I remember back during the 2000 - 2003 recession when I lived in one behind the Greyhound Station, it was awesome. I customized, drew a kitchen on one side, a bed in thee middle of the floor and a bathroom on the other side wall. THe only problem is that they don't feel quite as secure as I would like so I would mark my territory by smearing my feces on the outside of the box and on trees around the area.

Who doesn't love cardboard boxes?!?!?!

I remember back during the 2000 - 2003 recession when I lived in one behind the Greyhound Station, it was awesome. I customized, drew a kitchen on one side, a bed in thee middle of the floor and a bathroom on the other side wall. THe only problem is that they don't feel quite as secure as I would like so I would mark my territory by smearing my feces on the outside of the box and on trees around the area.

Cardboard box? You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

We spent more money on our first born in the way of name brand outfits and shoes. Don't do this! They outgrow clothes too quickly to spend that extra money on them.

This. All 3 of my kids have been raised on garage sale clothes and hand me downs. The clothes are barely used and you save a TON of money this way. Plus, you'll be getting clothes as gifts from everyone you know.

On top of that, if you have friends around you with kids, don't be shy about asking for hand me downs. Most parents are ready and willing to trade clothes as kids grow out of them.

• Like 1

In addition to garage sale/hand me down clothes, Children's Place has great deals on clothes. Considering they almost always have coupons/sales, you can often get something like 5 T-shirts for $15, 5 pants for $15, etc. then add in a coupon and walk out of there with plenty of clothes for the kid for each size for a very reasonable cost.

What we did is as the kid grew out of each ting is pack each size of clothing up in a plastic container that we stored in the garage. Then, when we had kid #2, it was simply a matter of pulling down the bin with the 3-6 month old clothes to use, then as the baby grew, pack those back up and pull down the 6-9 month, etc.

Now that we are on the last kid, as he grows out of each range, clothes either go to friends with kids or get donated to local charities, and I slowly get a bit more space back in the garage, though that is quickly getting replaced with the ever expanding amount of sports gear for the boys.

Spread the word you want some clothes for next season/size or year. You'll find you get 50 newborn/infant stuff and they outgrow it before it's even used.

We wished we got a video monitor for the nursery. We have just audio.

Craigslist is your friend. You'll find $50 items for $10 and maybe a little side toy is missing at most.

Was coming to post this exact thing.... Britax is top notch. Graco infant carrier that snaps into the stroller is key and a definite must have.

Agree with this.

And something to think about a little down the line (although not too far) - http://www.stridersports.com/

Basically, the kids can start running with it. Before long, they are gliding longer and longer without putting their feet down. By the age of 2, my son would glide for blocks if he had the downhill momentum. Piece of cake moving to a bike with pedals - no need for training wheels.

This. All 3 of my kids have been raised on garage sale clothes and hand me downs. The clothes are barely used and you save a TON of money this way. Plus, you'll be getting clothes as gifts from everyone you know.

On top of that, if you have friends around you with kids, don't be shy about asking for hand me downs. Most parents are ready and willing to trade clothes as kids grow out of them.

This, my oldest son is 3-1/2 and I don't think we've ever bought him clothes from a store. LOTS of hand-me-downs from friends and consigment sales, etc...Of course, now that our youingest is almost 2, we are starting to pay-it-forward. It's great having a network of friends/family for kids clothes!

Edited by The Next Generation

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I think we've got most material things covered. Or, at least, we've registered for most of it, anyway. Still a couple left to decide on. We go back and forth on the monitor (audio only vs video). Most of our family/friends have gone audio but some do swear by the video units. And we're still trying to decide which nursery furniture to go with. Most of the furniture in our house is dark cherry or espresso finish and my wife wants that for the nursery, too. I obviously like the look, too, but think it may be a little dark for a nursery(plus dark stain over light wood = scratches that much more visible). Anyone out there go with a dark finish for the crib and dressers and later wish you had gone lighter? :thinking: I dont think it would be an issue right away, but (down the line) I can see many meetings of hockey stick to dresser/bed frame :)

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I think we've got most material things covered. Or, at least, we've registered for most of it, anyway. Still a couple left to decide on. We go back and forth on the monitor (audio only vs video). Most of our family/friends have gone audio but some do swear by the video units. And we're still trying to decide which nursery furniture to go with. Most of the furniture in our house is dark cherry or espresso finish and my wife wants that for the nursery, too. I obviously like the look, too, but think it may be a little dark for a nursery(plus dark stain over light wood = scratches that much more visible). Anyone out there go with a dark finish for the crib and dressers and later wish you had gone lighter? :thinking: I dont think it would be an issue right away, but (down the line) I can see many meetings of hockey stick to dresser/bed frame :)

We went with the espresso for the 1st kid (now 3-1/2) where it converts to a different bed for all satges of his childhood until he leaves, so 1 crib/bed until he's out the door. Still in great shape. We went with the same setup (different manufacturer) for the 2nd kid only the lighter wood (now 22 mos) and his rail is all chewed up from him teething.

I like the espresso better. Just make sure you brighten the room with some lighter paint. Although, we have dark blue along the bottom half and beige on the top half separated by a border that matches his sports-themed bedding/room.