[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Congratulations Brees!

Shaft

Happy for Breezy, couldn't have happened to a better guy.  I was sad to see him leave SD after the injury, but glad he found success in Nawlins.  Was lucky enough to interview him in person 2 months ago and couldn't be a more stand up guy in person as well!

22 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

yeah, i know that, but it's funny how a pseudo-irrelevant player is put into a very huge moment.

Like did you know who was the QB when the great Don Shula broke the most wins by a HC record? It wasn't Dan Marino. It was a backup QB who never did much until he became the HC of PHI.

Well, that pseudo-irrelevant player just got his 2nd TD. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shaft said:

Yeah, it was weird to watch them drive it down and then knee, classy move. 

I would've preferred a game winning FG.

Brees's numbers speak for themself.    But he's a dome QB pure and simple. 

Watching him throughout his career, he's a fair-weather QB all the way. 

He was in the perfect spot in New Orleans.   He would not have gotten to the status he has if he played where Brady, Favre, Elway, etc. have.

9 hours ago, rajncajn said:

The announcers were talking so much about the 500 mark that when Ingram slid down just past the first down marker I thought they were setting up for it. Glad they didn't force it there. 

It is an amazing accomplishment, I just wish they would have talked more about the game, during the entire first half even when WAS had the ball they were talking mostly about the record. It was still a close and competitive game, typical ESPN garbage. 

As a Dolphin fan this just hurts. He should have been a Dolphin instead of a Saint.  He certainly would not have put up the numbers in Miami that he has in New Orleans and most likely have not become the first ballet Hall of Famer he is but he certainly would have been miles better than Daunte Culpepper and everything else they have trotted out there since, including Tannehill.

Congrats to Brees on a great accomplishment and becoming one of the greats!

Edited by blaw23

22 hours ago, rebdog said:

Brees's numbers speak for themself.    But he's a dome QB pure and simple. 

Watching him throughout his career, he's a fair-weather QB all the way. 

He was in the perfect spot in New Orleans.   He would not have gotten to the status he has if he played where Brady, Favre, Elway, etc. have.

I've heard this argument time and time again. It's always something, gets to play in a dome, plays in a QB friendly era, plays in a QB friendly system, has Payton for a coach, blah, blah, blah. 

Why is it that Brees is the only QB that gets the asterisks thrown in when talking about his accomplishments? Did Manning not play in a dome for most of his career and have Marvin Harrison and Edge to throw to? Has Brady not had probably the greatest coach of all time and mostly great defenses, Randy Moss, Wes Welker? Aaron Rodgers has played in the same era, has he not? Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson? If you're going to throw out the positives, how about factor in the negatives as well? First off the fact that he's done it despite not being the prototypical build for a QB? Brees is 6' tall with platform shoes on. He often can't even see the player he is throwing to. Yet he's one of the most accurate QBs in league history. Brees also never had the huge arm strength of a Brady or Favre. And speaking of arm strength, how do you come back from a fully dislocated throwing shoulder, a 360-degree tear of his labrum and a 50-percent tear of his rotator cuff? Hard work, dedication, determination. That's why Brees has broken just about every single record there is for a QB, not because of anything else. Are his stats a little higher playing in a dome? Yeah, I'll give you that, but to shrug off his accomplishments because he didn't play where these other guys did and ignore what advantages they have is ridiculous.

So here you go, I'll play this game. I'll compile all of Brees' stats for every single game he's ever played and come up with a figure that we can agree is fair of what advantage Brees had playing in a dome. Then I'll take that figure and subtract it from each home game he's had for the Saints and see where he's at by comparison and how much longer he would have to play in order to accomplish what he already has in reality. Maybe then we can stop hearing this fair weather QB nonsense  Anybody want to chime in on a good way to quantify that figure is more than welcome. I'd like it to show as little bias as I possibly can. 

Edited by rajncajn
Auto correct

he's a great QB.  good leader.  no question.   not sure what his physical attributes or lack thereof has to do with anything.   Lebron James is has ridiculous physical advantages but he plays on the same exact court as all players do.  

not looking to get on Brees.  he's one of the best.  just wouldn't be in my top 10 or probably 20 all-time just taking everything into account.   

2 minutes ago, rebdog said:

he's a great QB.  good leader.  no question.   not sure what his physical attributes or lack thereof has to do with anything.   Lebron James is has ridiculous physical advantages but he plays on the same exact court as all players do.  

not looking to get on Brees.  he's one of the best.  just wouldn't be in my top 10 or probably 20 all-time just taking everything into account.   

Not even top 20? Ok, so what are you taking into account? What makes you knock Brees down when comparing to other QBs?

Back to my last post, how about this? I'll take a number of contemporary outdoor QBs, Brady, Favre and Rodgers and come up with an average home field advantage for the three of them (I won't even factor in Favre's dome seasons), then I'll figure out Brees' home field advantage, subtract the difference and then subtract that amount from every home game Brees had with New Orleans. 

23 hours ago, blaw23 said:

As a Dolphin fan this just hurts. He should have been a Dolphin instead of a Saint.  He certainly would not have put up the numbers in Miami that he has in New Orleans and most likely have not become the first ballet Hall of Famer he is but he certainly would have been miles better than Daunte Culpepper and everything else they have trotted out there since, including Tannehill.

Congrats to Brees on a great accomplishment and becoming one of the greats!

I don't feel bad about this as a Dolphin fan at all.  Brees was coming off a very concerning shoulder injury coupled with up and down play in San Diego and his inherit small stature.  There was just a lot of risk so I don't fault the team for not signing him.  Can only fault them for the stupid trade for Culpepper which also had a lot of risk due to the knee injury and that's why it looks so bad.  But the NFL is one massive 'could of drafted or signed *insert name here*' sport.  It's just not worth going through all the 20/20 hindsight scenarios. 

3 hours ago, rebdog said:

:lol: You're koo-koo.