[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers' new head coach is Matt LaFleur

Wolverines Fan

LaFleur is a first time head coach.

His only play calling experience was this season with the Titans, I think.

Seriously, thought GB would go after somebody with a bigger resume.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

1 hour ago, Shorttynaz said:

I'm in the Green Bay area this week for work and a lot of the locals here love the hire.  Guess they should though, right? 

I'm surprised.

With Aaron Rodgers there, I thought they'd want somebody like Josh McDaniels or Bruce Arians. 

13 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

like who?  The only experienced NFL HCs are Caldwell and Gase.  Monken OC in Tampa.  All the others are college guys with little to no NFL coaching experience.   Maybe they should have hired Rex Ryan?  :o

Edited by Dcat

20 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

I heard on the news this was pretty much the resume of McCarthy when he was hired (OK just checked, he was OC for the 49ers for one year, but had also been OC in NO for several years before that). 

I'm facing the same possibility here in CLE, talk of Freddie Kitchens as new head coach, half a season as an OC. Not saying these guys cannot succeed but it seems teams are now looking for the next Sean McVay, which was a rare find and partnered with an experienced DC and former HC who can help him out. 

46 minutes ago, loaf said:

and in another head-scratching move, hires Nathaniel Hackett, fired from the Jaguars in November, to be their OC. What's going on with that brain trust over there?

Maybe they don't think the Jaguars firing him eliminates what he does well. His offense has led the league in rushing twice (#1 in attempts 2013 with BUF, 2nd in yards and #1 in attempts/yards 2017 with JAX, but yards per attempt were never that great, 9th the year with JAX). Maybe they Packers brain trust thinks they need to improve the running game and stop leaning on Rodgers so much.

Or maybe there just aren't a lot of other candidates?

I keep seeing this statements in various places, coach X was fired from job Y, why would any other team every hire him to do that same job?  Even to this extent "Packers fired McCarthy, why would anybody want that retread"

Edited by stevegrab

On 1/8/2019 at 3:30 PM, League_Champion said:

He was the OC for that unstoppable record breaking Titans offense. What's not to like?

Lots of injuries on that Titan offense.  Not LaFleur's fault.  

4 hours ago, loaf said:

and in another head-scratching move, hires Nathaniel Hackett, fired from the Jaguars in November, to be their OC. What's going on with that brain trust over there?

Hackett did some decent things with that JAG* Bortles a couple years ago.  Yeah, the offense went in the crapper this season, but there are some things to like about this guy.  LaFleur is calling plays, FYI.

*and by JAG I don't mean Jaguar, I mean "just a guy"

Edited by darin3
clarification
  • Like 1