[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bad weather this weekend ...

Grits and Shins

Okay apparently there are going to be some cold weather games this weekend, specifically:

BUF @ CIN ~ Snow Showers & Wind, 30° / 50% chance (17 MPH winds)

HOU @ CHI ~ Snow Showers & Wind, 20° / 30% chance

SDC @ CLE ~ Snow & Wind, 32° / 60% chance (21 MPH winds)

SEA @ NYJ ~ Few Showers, 47° / 30% chance

DAL @ PHI ~ Rain & Snow Showers, 46 ° / 30% chance

JAC @ GBP ~ Snow Showers & Wind, 13° / 30% chance (18 MPH winds)

How much do you let weather impact your starting lineup decisions? Obviously for those of us that are still playing it's win or go home this week.

If you have WRs in one of these games ... are you going to bench them?

If you have QBs in one of these games ... are you going to bench them?

Are you more likely to start the RB in one of these games?

Now I know alot depends on your alternatives ... just curious as to how much importance you guys place on the weather.

As it turns out I have 3 WRs of my 5 that are playing in those games, 1 of my QBs, and 2 of my RBs.

Unless the weather is extreme, I don't give it a lot of thought. I will say this though. I don't really shy away from playing a WR on a sloppy field as I think most people do. My thought is that the sloppy conditions actually favor the guy that knows where he wants to go. I actually think that the RB's have it more difficult is the slop then anyone else based on them having to try to cut and run away from people so much.

I have no data to back up my thought but it is what I think.

Unless the weather is extreme, I don't give it a lot of thought.  I will say this though. I don't really shy away from playing a WR on a sloppy field as I think most people do.  My thought is that the sloppy conditions actually favor the guy that knows where he wants to go.  I actually think that the RB's have it more difficult is the slop then anyone else based on them having to try to cut and run away from people so much.

I have no data to back up my thought but it is what I think.

615884[/snapback]

Yeah ... I have heard it postulated that the WR knows his route and his coverage does not ... so in sloppy conditions it makes it easier for you to elude his coverage. The only question is if it is windy can the QB throw the ball accurately and if it is that cold can the WRs catch it (cold hands and all).

I have in the past made lineup decisions based on extreme weather. With mixed results. However I have noticed at Lambeau field the wind more than anything seems to effect passing and kicking more than anything else. Doesn't the wind come into play quite a bit at Giants stadium also/

The only real example we have this year is the Denver vs Oakland game. It snowed the entire game and the QBs and wrs went off. Wrs do have the advantage of knowing where they are going. I tend to believe this and also think that RBs have a harder time in bad weather IMO.

i think that it has to...It feels like my whole team is playing in the elements this weekend:

CPep

S. Alexander/Deuce/F Taylor

A Johnson/J Walker/M Clayton/ D Mason

Vanderjadgt

I'm strugglin' with whether to start Deuce over Taylor

615913[/snapback]

Well ... you saw that I mentioned I have SEVEN players in those games ... :eek: I was already struggling with my lineup decisions has I have several difficult decisions to make ... just trying to figure how much weight to give the "weather factor" when considering my options.

As of right now I have only 2 of my skill position players are in those games ... as is my kicker and defense. But I am still considering another RB from one of those games.

Wind is the biggest factor IMO.

With wind around 15mph or lower and the field either covered by snow or sleet I think it favors the QB's and WR's. It favors the QB's because the defensive line can't get decent footing to get to the QB, giving him more time. The WR's know where they're going but the CB do not.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the wind. Anything over 15mph and I'll probably look elsewhere.

McNabb, Bettis, DJackson, AGreen, Westbrook, 2K'ers, and 2Def's.....

Gotta love football being played in the elements it was intended to be played in. LOL

Other than a heavy wind I don't usually let bad weather change decisions on who to play. Some RB's are real 'mudders' and can have a very decent game in bad weather.

Have to remember that most of the cold weather teams are used to it and that has to give them an advantage..... wouldn't you think?

I think it makes the most difference for kickers and DEFs. Though, I'm always encouraged if I have a RB in bad weather, as they tend to get leaned on more. Assuming they don't have a fumbling problem that might get exacerbated, you can expect a few extra carries.

The only real example we have this year is the Denver vs Oakland game.  It snowed the entire game and the QBs and wrs went off.  Wrs do have the advantage of knowing where they are going.  I tend to believe this and also think that RBs have a harder time in bad weather IMO.

615910[/snapback]

Packers v. Detroit @Lambeau. Wind played a huge part. Any soft passes were moving like crazy.

My entire starting lineup (except for my liquored up, idiot kicker) was listed in Grits list above. Would love to start Bulger in AZ, but I won't start Chandler in a playoff game. That leaves Favre. Would love to start Stokley in the dome, but doh! game time decision. That leaves Owens and Walker (unless I'm willing to start Chambers against NE). Ain't gonna start that no-scoring former stud Fred Taylor in GB, ain't gonna start Chester Taylor because it sounds like Jamal will play. That leaves McGahee in Cincy and DDavis in Chicago. Good backs, bad situations. So much for having the best record and the best scoring average this year. Another semifinal loss.

Me: Favre, McGahee, DDavis, Owens, Walker, Witten

Opponent: Culpepper, Larry Johnson, Onterrio, Kennison, Moulds, LJ Smith

My opponent couldn't even field a starting team a few weeks ago, now all his players are red-hot. I now hate Priest Holmes and Blaylock for getting hurt.

DDavis in Chicago.  Good backs, bad situations. 

616038[/snapback]

His situation got better with (the allegedly overrated???) Urlacher out, and the Bears run defense not being what it was earlier in the year, no? I kinda like Dom this week, though the Texans passing game has been nonexistent.

Despite the weather, I'm actually OK-comfortable with my backs this week. I love the fact that Davis catches so many passes as well. If the Texans move the ball, Davis will get his yards. My QB and WR's scare me to death. My team looked unstoppable 4 weeks ago.

I'm suffering from bad weather matchups as well... let's see:

Culpepper (dome, thankfully)

Westbrook (possible sloppy/cold conditions)

R. Johnson (snow, cold, wind)

Pittman (Nice weather)

C. Brown (injured anyhow)

A. Johnson (possible snowy/cold/windy conditions)

J. Smith (snowy/cold/windy conditions)

R. Smith (cold, but at least no snow/slop/wind)

B. Stokley (dome, but injured)

A. Gates (snowy/cold/windy conditions)

I'm officially depressed about some of my best players being out in some bad elements this weekend... my opponent doesn't have to face those kinds of conditions at all (has Goings & Muham in a dome, Hasselbeck & D. Jax in decent weather).

But oh well... I'm going to put my best talent on the field and let it ride. If the weather kicks my ***, so be it.

A case in point with big time "snow" conditions is the Bronco/Raider game from this year.

Rarely will you see a dominant pass rusher collapse the pocket in these conditions. QB's have more time than usual and I would suppose this is also created by the D Coordinators not wanting to roll the dice and get burned.

I like having a QB in snowy conditions, but when the wind is whipping, you just never know. :D

i would go with what got ya here. i don't have many choices to make and some players are playing in bad elements. i wouldn't do anything drastic is what i'm saying. weather might keep points down in a game, but in general, i think its overrated. unless we are talking about some unreal conditions. fog bowl, snow storm, sustained 20 m.p.h. winds, torrential rain. i would have a hard time justifying benching a regular starter for a "better weather player". jmo.

I very much watch the weather..... cold, wet, wind, sloppy conditions all lead to turnovers. not every game of course..... but more often than not IMO. and from that comes lower scoring games..... or games with defensive TD's.

From a FF stand point, I'd much rather have mt WR's & QB's playing in perfect conditions...... the RB's get more slack.