[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Recent rental movies

Thews40

"Pretends to be a real series of events"?  :D

I don't recall Collateral posing as anything but a work of fiction. B)

645264[/snapback]

I said that wrong. What I mean is that even as the work of fiction that it is, it still sort of needs to follow logical rules of what can happen.

I don't think I can get into words what I am trying to say. Some fiction can be totally out of whack and still be a very good story, however, other fiction that seems to try to mimic real life, as bizarre as it may be, needs to stick more in line with what really could happen and what wouldn't.

Again, probably not saying what I mean very well but that's about how I see it. :D

Oh and :D

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you actually believe the Tom Cruise character would have killed the taxi driver’s mom?

Yep. And even if I didn't, the taxi driver has just seen him off two people - does he want to take that chance?

Why didn’t he just rent a car and do the dirty deeds?

As he said in the film, he wanted it done quickly and the taxi driver knew the city FAR better than he did.

Do you really think a hired gun would walk into a hospital where a camera might ID him?

That was one thing I hadn't thought of.

Do you think a high powered lawyer would fall for a taxi driver in a 15 min ride?

645336[/snapback]

Stranger things have happened. Jamie Foxx's character was presented as a smart, charming guy who talked a good game.

I don't disagree; but for modern composers, I wouldn't have clue where to start. There are very few media - film, popular music, jazz, lit - that I feel that way about. I'm not saying I'm not partly to blame, but the obscurity (where do you go to get a line on "good" (yeah, subjective term) new classical?) and snobbery (real or merely perceived) often inherent in the classical genre combine to make it both off in it's own quiet little corner and a tad daunting when you're starting from square one.

645115[/snapback]

two things off the top of my head i would recommend...one has already been mentioned here -- check out the film naqoyqatsi, with the score by phillip glass. second, check out the cd on the transmigration of souls, composed by john adams -- a 9/11 memorium that won the pulitzer prize last year. both these works are extremely "modern", by two heavy hitters in contemporary music, and both are very accessible.

I said that wrong.  What I mean is that even as the work of fiction that it is, it still sort of needs to follow logical rules of what can happen.

I don't think I can get into words what I am trying to say.  Some fiction can be totally out of whack and still be a very good story, however, other fiction that seems to try to mimic real life, as bizarre as it may be, needs to stick more in line with what really could happen and what wouldn't.

645469[/snapback]

I get where you're coming from, but I'd have to say you're limiting yourself (though I realize that suspension of disbelief is not a conscious process); I may be naming films that you already hate, but I'll use the Coen Brothers as an example - in many of their films, they are plausibly set in the real world, but the events and characters are exaggerated into caricature; IMO it creates somewhat of a heightened, hyper-real (or surreal) sense of reality that is as convincing (to me) and certainly FAR more entertaining than the less exaggerated, more likely worlds of stuff like, I dunno, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (not to pick on it, but it was a 90 minute sitcom episode).

I'd guess that when Collateral moved from the plausible to the improbable, it lost you; to me, that's when Mann upped the ante and the movie really started cookin'. Potato, potatoe, I suppose.

Absolutely Jamie Foxx's character could've pulled it off with the attorney. Did you hear his rap? Not one "uhh" or "umm". The intellect baby!, that's what got her. I thought that that conversation was actually one of the better parts of the flick. It was right on par with one of this guys (Michael Mann?) other movies called Heat. The conversation between Deniro and Pacino in the coffee shop! Come on now, it doesn't get any better. Nothing to special, very little background noise, just up close and intense. I thougt it was pretty cool.

Did you actually believe the Tom Cruise character would have killed the taxi driver’s mom? Why didn’t he just rent a car and do the dirty deeds?

As he said in the film, he wanted it done quickly and the taxi driver knew the city FAR better than he did.

Just had to add one thing. If you listened to the undercover cop, there was a cab driver who drove around and killed a bunch of people then committed suicide the year before. He added that he never thought it was suicide and that someone had made it look like the cabbie had done it.

I took this to mean that Cruise had been there before, and that his M.O. was to force the cab drivers to drive him around while he killed his targets. By then killing the cabbie, making it look like a suicide, he was able to keep his identity a secret.

I took this to mean that Cruise had been there before, and that his M.O. was to force the cab drivers to drive him around while he killed his targets.  By then killing the cabbie, making it look like a suicide, he was able to keep his identity a secret.

646458[/snapback]

I missed that part. It still doesn't make sense, as there wasn't a bomb ticking that was to go off in 12 hours and he needed to kill 5 people before it happens. If he drives his own car it takes an extra half hour... but this is a movie. Part of what makes the Tom Cruise character interesting is that he’s an empty human that doesn’t feel emotion for his victims. Like Johnny Ringo in Tombstone, you almost feel sorry for them. When he befriends the Jamie Foxx character, if you want to call it that, it adds a complexity that’s interesting. When he kills the guys who steal the taxi driver’s wallet, you cheer for him because they deserve it. When he kills the cop, it brings the fact that he’s a cold blooded killer back into focus. When I watch movies like this I guess I fall victim to what I would have done differently. In Gone in 60 seconds, the Nick Cage character gets back into crime to save his brother. A poor analogy to draw as that was a bad movie, but if somehow the Tom Cruise character had something on the taxi driver it would have made it plausible. I just kept thinking if I were driving the taxi I would have bolted about twenty different times. The sad thing about this story is the acting was very good… just missed the target by a few rings.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday Night Lights was pretty good, I recomend it highly.

Friday Night Lights was pretty good, I recomend it highly.

662428[/snapback]

Good call, Nsab. I thought it was great. Bush said it was his favorite movie of the year. He and I have very similar taste. I might pick up the book its based on.

I might pick up the book its based on.

662433[/snapback]

I've heard it called one of the greatest sports books ever written; I'm inclined to agree, but I don't read too many books without lotsa pichers in 'em. :D

Rented Chronicles of Riddick. Very entertaining. Better than I thought it would be. The sequel to Pitch Black, which I never saw and didn't know about til recently.

Wife rented The Princess Diaries 2. No comment, except that Anne Hathaway is a hottie....

634704[/snapback]

The Chronicles of Riddick :D:D (you'll like Pitch Black too)

The Clearing with Robert Redford and Deniro B)

Hildago :D

• 5 weeks later...
Last theatrical flick I saw was Sideways; terrific flick, and it reminded me of an adult version of Say Anything in many respects - slight, specific story, brilliant performances, great characterizations. And anyone who prefers those 20 year old teeny boppers over fortyish 100% woman Virginia Madsen is quite clearly insane.

645004[/snapback]

Just did a search on "Sideways" since I went to see this last night. After this movie being out in the theatres for quite some time, I was surprised to see the show at a 75% capacity.

This is an EXCELLENT film. It comes highly recommended from both adult members of the Thorp household. :D

We watched “Anchorman” a few nights ago. Some funny parts… bout what I expected.

I found “Evil Dead II” on VHS for $5 at Blockbuster, so we’ll watch that tonight. Speaking of Blockbuster, while they say there’s no more late fees, they still charge them. When they told me there was a “Re-stocking fee” for a movie my son rented, I questioned why. She said it was because it was late. I came back questioning at what point a late fee is warranted, and she says they don’t have late fees. I then asked at what point I would be charged a fee for being late with the movies I was renting, and she handed me the new policy. I asked again at what date I would be charged a late fee, and she answered back with one week. I hate Blockbuster.

We watched “Anchorman” a few nights ago. Some funny parts… bout what I expected. 

I found “Evil Dead II” on VHS for $5 at Blockbuster, so we’ll watch that tonight. Speaking of Blockbuster, while they say there’s no more late fees, they still charge them. When they told me there was a “Re-stocking fee” for a movie my son rented, I questioned why. She said it was because it was late. I came back questioning at what point a late fee is warranted, and she says they don’t have late fees. I then asked at what point I would be charged a fee for being late with the movies I was renting, and she handed me the new policy. I asked again at what date I would be charged a late fee, and she answered back with one week. I hate Blockbuster.

705462[/snapback]

I rented 2 DVDs at Blockbuster a couple weeks ago and both were faulty. They have no auto-replacement policy after a DVD has been rented out xx times, and they don't clean them when they come in. Much of their shelf stock is damaged - 6 out of my last 9 have had faults.

I'd switch to Netflix but they don't have a payment system I like.

I HIGHLY recommend Netflix.

Got Throne of Blood and Sleepers from them this weekend; Sleepers was brilliant.

Also, I suggest a movie out on DVD called Better Luck Tomorrow - it's about overachieving California teens getting involved in petty crime due to boredom (sure, it SOUNDS cheesy, but it's really, really f'in good).

I rented 2 DVDs at Blockbuster a couple weeks ago and both were faulty. They have no auto-replacement  policy after a DVD has been rented out xx times, and they don't clean them when they come in.  Much of their shelf stock is damaged - 6 out of my last 9 have had faults.

I'd switch to Netflix but they don't have a payment system I like.

705477[/snapback]

i bet a new dvd player would solve 90% of your issues. i was in a similar boat about a year ago, the final straw was when a brand new dvd i bought was having problems. bought a new player and have hardly had any issues since.

i bet a new dvd player would solve 90% of your issues.  i was in a similar boat about a year ago, the final straw was when a brand new dvd i bought was having problems.  bought a new player and have hardly had any issues since.

705511[/snapback]

Alternatively, if one does not already own an X-box or PS2, both double as DVD players for just a few more bucks relative to a DVD player alone.

i bet a new dvd player would solve 90% of your issues.  i was in a similar boat about a year ago, the final straw was when a brand new dvd i bought was having problems.  bought a new player and have hardly had any issues since.

705511[/snapback]

No, both my DVD players are brand new and totally clean. All my purchased DVDs play just fine on them. The copy of Gladiator I took back was so bad it looked like someone had put it through a friggin' cheese grater, even after I'd cleaned the thing. The next copy from the shelf played just fine. There are two problems, IMO - no autoreplacement after xx playings and a very poor reproduction process. They did at least give me a $4 credit, which I might use tonight to watch Jurassic Park or something else that needs a lot of sound.

Or I might do my taxes. :D

I think I will give Netflix a shot, but I was wondering if similar problems pop up there too. :D