[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Recent rental movies

Thews40

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regarded Huckabees as one of two things:

- a mainstream version of Richard Linklater's Waking Life, which is an amibitious film where he shoots for a cinema of idea instead of a cinema of action (can explain further but that's the capsule version); I like it but consider it for the most part to be in the "interesting failure" category

- The Matrix series without the chop-socky action

Neither of these are slams, Huckabees was COMPLETELY my cup of tea (probably didn't hurt that I have a man-crush on Jude Law and regular crush on Naomi Watts), but I can see where it ain't for everybody.

on the "Texas movie" thing, I saw "LONE STAR" a few years ago, and still think it is/was a great movie...

711099[/snapback]

Lone Star is good. Watched Saw tonight--meh. It was mildly disturbing but too implausible and trying way too hard.

Guest THEbigred
One of the worst movies I have ever seen IMHO.

Congrats on being smart enough to avoid Merlin Rouge, Traffic, Mulholland Drive, and About Schmidt.

GDB that hot tub scene :shiver:

The Movie "The Cooler "  with William H. Macy and Alec Baldwin is a good movie.I recommend it

713308[/snapback]

Rent it with Rounders and Croupier for a nice "Gambling themed films " night

Congrats on being smart enough to avoid Merlin Rouge, Traffic, Mulholland Drive, and About Schmidt.

GDB that hot tub scene  :shiver:

713285[/snapback]

I didn't like Traffic at all either. I also went to see Hitch and that blew as well.

May as well add Hard Eight to the theme.  It is also a gambling movie set in Vegas.

713567[/snapback]

Hard Eight was pretty good. I thought a much better gambling-related film was Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, though. A classic.

This weekend I watched:

- Employee Of The Month (a good film film with lots of twists). Stars Matt Dillon, Christina Applegate, and Steve Zahn. Funny, bizarre, but enough sex, violence, and drug references that it earned its R rating.

- The Maltese Falcon. What can I say about Bogart's classic that hasn't already been said? I've just never seen it start to finish as an adult, so I gave it a whirl.

I regarded Huckabees as one of two things:

- a mainstream version of Richard Linklater's Waking Life, which is an amibitious film where he shoots for a cinema of idea instead of a cinema of action (can explain further but that's the capsule version); I like it but consider it for the most part to be in the "interesting failure" category

- The Matrix series without the chop-socky action

Neither of these are slams, Huckabees was COMPLETELY my cup of tea (probably didn't hurt that I have a man-crush on Jude Law and regular crush on Naomi Watts), but I can see where it ain't for everybody.

711027[/snapback]

My wife almost killed me after we saw Huckabees. I, however, thought it was very clever.

• 1 month later...
I want to have The Salton Sea's baby. GREAT flick. If you haven't seen it, walk past The Day After Tomorrow next time you're at Blockbuster and grab the Kilmer flick.

708258[/snapback]

You were right. I really liked the movie.

Spartan with Val Kilmer is excellent. It is by David Mamet but not typical of his stuff.

Kilmer also did a very dark movie a couple years ago that is outstanding: The Salton Sea.

Ice Man has certainly redeemed himself in my book.

706055[/snapback]

I agree with Spartan, I liked this movie a lot. I did not have high hopes as I was renting it which may have added to my pleasant surprise.

Haven't seen The Salton Sea though, might have to check it out.

Have you noticed how asstacular the movies are recently? Hollywood is consistantly crapping out heapin' helpings of utter crap.

768230[/snapback]

Also really liked City of God, which I recently rented. Subtiled. But there was simply too much sex, drugs, and violence not to like it.

Also really liked City of God, which I recently rented.  Subtiled.  But there was simply too much sex, drugs, and violence not to like it.

768269[/snapback]

City of God was very good.

Anyone seen Chavez lately?