[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Recent rental movies

Thews40

Guest THEbigred

OK I saw these on pay movie channels vs renting but w-t-fudge....

"Magic in the Water" (starring Mark Harmon) - starts out as a possible feel-good family flick w/the deadbeat dad who learns the errors of his ways ie that his career is NOT more important than his kids, with a little Disney-ish twist of some swimming dinosaur, but about 1/2 way through it does a major tailspin and proves a pathetic flick. Even kids would find it very lame IMO.

"Secret Window" (starring Johnny Depp) - thriller kinda flick which wasn't dazzling but well worth the watch I think. He's a writer harassed by a psycho guy who claims Depp plaguarized his work.

Edited by THEbigred

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched SAW  I would say see it...not for the faint of heart! Not your typical gore flick it is twisted is all i will say!

706243[/snapback]

:D I wanted to rent that last weekend. Mrs. RR loves/hates those movies. She'll watch them with her eyes wide open. Then she'll dream/nightmare about them all night for several nights. I opted for Dodgeball. It was ok, but I slept well Sat. night! :D

Guest THEbigred
Just saw the Borne Supremacy. It was ok if you can get past the cinematography.  The action scenes were choppy to the point you didn’t know who was ass was being kicked.

Man I fn hate hate that "MTV mentality" (ie changing the pic every sec) BS :D Thx for saving me the bother of trying to watch it.

my adopted nieces are all over me to watch Shrek 2. Does that sound like fun, er what?

706945[/snapback]

Shrek 2 was actually a good movie.

Riding Giants -- a 90 documentary of sorts on Big Wave surfing...very interesting...a good watch...

Collateral -- liked it ok, a decent way to spend a couple of hours...but, there are better movies out there...

Napoleon Dynamite -- I liked it better than my wife did ... definately offbeat

Riddick -- both are very good ... enjoyed them quite a bit

Recently viewed:

Zatoichi: The Bilnd Swordsman - This one really disappointed me. Apparently Zatoichi is a famous samurai series in Japan, but I found the fight sequences lacked imagination and I didn't really see how the "musical numbers" fit into the whole genre of the movie.

Nine Queens - Very good. An Argentinian grifter movie revolving around a con that involves selling a very rare stamp (fake of course). The plot has some interesting twists and turns. I must warn you that it is in spanish with subtitles though.

Lost in Translation - Lived up to the hype IMO. I really liked it. [Homer]Mmmm...Scarlett Johansson [\Homer]

Cellular - Not a great movie, but it was entertaining enough. I would like to see the numbers on the production costs of this movie. The product placement for Nokia, Cingular, Office Depot, and Porshe, was insane.

John Q - I like this one. Denzel stars as a desperate father whose son needs a new heart, but his health insurance won't cover it. He takes an emergency room hostage and wants a new heart for his son as ransom. A little bit over the top on the social agenda meter, but still an entertaining movie.

The Rundown - Stars "The Rock" and Stifler. Some nice action sequences and The Rock and Stifler have pretty good comedic chemistry going on. Nothing amazing for a plot but for what it is, it is worth a viewing. Plus, it has monkeys in it and let's face it - monkeys are funny :D

The Grudge - Had its suspenseful moments, but overall it did not stack up to others in the genre (i.e. The Ring). IMO they tell you too much about the "tragedy" early in the movie and leave you no mystery to figure out.

Harold and Kumar - Pretty good. Not quite on the level of Road Trip or Half Baked IMO, but it had its moments.

Kilmer also did a very dark movie a couple years ago that is outstanding: The Salton Sea.

706055[/snapback]

I want to have The Salton Sea's baby. GREAT flick. If you haven't seen it, walk past The Day After Tomorrow next time you're at Blockbuster and grab the Kilmer flick.

I want to have The Salton Sea's baby. GREAT flick. If you haven't seen it, walk past The Day After Tomorrow next time you're at Blockbuster and grab the Kilmer flick.

708258[/snapback]

I've read the box cover a few times, but never rented it. I'll toss it into the Netflix cue.

Let's see since Friday I've seen quite a few movies but I don't remember a thing from any one of these movies due to being sick and heavily medicated. :D

Troy - long battle scene, somewhat true to The Illiad, managed to stay awake for most of the film

Resident Evil:Apocolypse - saw dead people, slept, saw more dead people

Garden State - dude from scrubs, slept some more

Napolean Dynamite - something about steaks and ligers

Collateral - when did Tom Cruise get so old, slept through 1/4 of the movie

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - really dark movie so I fell asleep again

I, Robot - complete blur, tried a different cold medication

Mean Girls- Lindsey Lohan and her breasts, even the strongest cold med. couldn't knock me out from looking at those pillows of goodness. :D

Edited by twiley

Let's see since Friday I've seen quite a few movies but I don't remember a thing from any one of these movies due to being sick and heavily medicated.  :D 

Troy - long battle scene, somewhat true to The Illiad, managed to stay awake for most of the film

Resident Evil:Apocolypse - saw dead people, slept, saw more dead people

Garden State - dude from scrubs, slept some more

Napolean Dynamite - something about steaks and ligers

Collateral - when did Tom Cruise get so old, slept through 1/4 of the movie

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - really dark movie so I fell asleep again

I, Robot - complete blur, tried a different cold medication

Mean Girls- Lindsey Lohan and her breasts, even the strongest cold med. couldn't knock me out from looking at those pillows of goodness. B)

708319[/snapback]

:D Siskel and Twiley :D

I loved Napolean Dynamite- check your brain at the door and just enjoy 90 minutes of some pretty *** good comedy. Also a pretty original movie- I can't think of anything else that is like this one, so if you are tired of the same old plot lines and gags give this a try. Napolean, Kip & Uncle Rico are funny to just look at.

634743[/snapback]

Great assesment! I agree. Original stupid comedy.

Recently viewed:.

Harold and Kumar - Pretty good.  Not quite on the level of Road Trip or Half Baked IMO, but it had its moments.

707312[/snapback]

I, too, watched it this weekend. Pretty funny at times I agree.

Talked a bunch of friends into watching Shaun of the Dead Sunday night. It was roundly loved (although one of them - the med student, shockingly enough - looked like he was about to cry and/or throw up during some of the gorier parts).

For those of you who've been under a rock, SotD is a British "romzomcom" (or "romantic zombie comedy") and it's sort of like - imagine if Spiccoli and Hamilton from Fast Times at Ridgemont High faced zombie apocalypse.

I, too, watched it this weekend.  Pretty funny at times I agree.

708338[/snapback]

Plenty of funny stuff, but the winner for me was Neil Patrick Harris in the flick ("Dude, I hit everything on that Doogie Howser set")

Plenty of funny stuff, but the winner for me was Neil Patrick Harris in the flick ("Dude, I hit everything on that Doogie Howser set")

708347[/snapback]

That was pretty good. I also liked Kumar's speech at the cliff. Something about their ancestors coming to America because they were really hungry. I can't find the quote anywhere, but to me it was one of the funnier lines in the movie.

We watched Napolean Dynamite last night. There were a couple laugh out loud moments, but mostly because I was embarrassed for the characters. The dead pan delivery and almost complete lack of body language was funny. I was sure that LaFonda was going to turn out to be a man or something.

Saw - Nice ending, but a pretty sick movie.

Collateral - I guessed what was going to happen in this movie about a 1/3rd of the way through, but it was a good way to waste some time.

Constantine - This movie is not for kids or for people who don't like scary occult-type movies. Keanu sucked as usual but the other actors and the CGI make up for it, again.

Edited by WaterMan

We watched Napolean Dynamite last night. There were a couple laugh out loud moments, but mostly because I was embarrassed for the characters.  The dead pan delivery and almost complete lack of body language was funny. I was sure that LaFonda was going to turn out to be a man or something.

709711[/snapback]

One of the worst movies I have ever seen IMHO. It was aweful except for the dance scene at the end and the part where he knocks the guy off the bike with the Hamburger. Other then that a total sleeper, not even really funny.