[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

draft order ALWAYS reverse of last year, right?

Todd1

This isn't a keeper league and surprisingly, the guy picking 12th wants to change the draft order to random, instead of reversing last year's standings.

I need some advice/ammo to fight this one out.

Thanks!

(Oh, and THANK GOD FOOTBALL IS HERE!)

If it is not a keeper league, then order should be random every year, as the new season is completely INDEPENDENT of the previous season.

IMO, the only time the previous year's standings should have an affect on the draft order is with keepers involved, and this is more important the greater the number of keepers are. The less keepers there are, the more even teams will be starting out in theory (depending on keeper rules), and thus the weaker the argument that previous season's performance should have an affect on the new season's draft order.

Hate to say it as you came looking for "ammo", but in this case, the guy with the #12 pick is absolutely right, last year's standings should have absolutely no bearing on this year's draft as there is absolutely no relationship between the two seasons.

why didn't he make that arguement last year then?

In 3 seasons we've only had 1 owner leave, records and stats are kept of past seasons and we've even used fanball all 3 years.

I think if you win the league, you pick last. I guess it's not a major tragedy since it would be random, he could end up 12th again. I'm picking 8th, I guess I'd rather have 8 and 17 than a chance at 1 and 24!!

If you win the league, you should pick last. If you lose the league, you should not pick first. You should have a losers bracket for those that don't make the playoffs. The winner of the losers bracket should pick first. This keeps someone from giving up or quitting, and it does not reward crappy owners.

Who is to say the last pick is the least desirable pick?

If you are set on having the completely independent previous season's results affect the completely independent new season, then have the last place team pick their draft slot, and so on.

In the new California league some Huddler's started, after the top 4 spots were gone, the bottom half of the draft filled up and the late middle picks (8 and 10 I believe it was) were the last picks to go.

But, I still contend that with absolutely no correlation between the seasons, previous year's finish should have no affect whatsoever on the upcoming season.

I believe in previous year's record should count for draft order ONLY when player(s) are carried over from the previous year (keeper or dynasty).

When there is a new slate for everyone, it sould be an auction, or use random order for a draft.

If you win the league, you should pick last. If you lose the league, you should not pick first. You should have a losers bracket for those that don't make the playoffs. The winner of the losers bracket should pick first. This keeps someone from giving up or quitting, and it does not reward crappy owners.

898923[/snapback]

I sort of disagree, but not totally, which is why we recently changed the rules in my BOTH league. Instead, the last place team gets to choose which draft position they want. Next to last gets to choose next, etc. Lsdy year's first place team is, thus, left with whatever gets leftover.

Why should we presume where the last place teams wants to pick? To the extent we're gonna try and give the last place team in any league a little benefit come draft order determination time, I say let them choose for themselves the position they think is most beneficial.

Edited by yo mama

We use regular season standing to determine draft pick order. Last place in regular season picks his slot first. The guy picked 8 this year (?).

It's not a keeper league, we just think the loser should get the slight advantage, or sort of a consolation prize.

I believe in previous year's record should count for draft order ONLY when player(s) are carried over from the previous year (keeper or dynasty).

When there is a new slate for everyone, it sould be an auction, or use random order for a draft.

899093[/snapback]

No keepers.................Random draw each year :D

Random in a redraft league makes sense to me. I don't like the random every 2 rounds though. Example - you end up with 1/24 picks, then you end up with 36/37 in rounds 3 and 4. That's gotta suck, because you end up with the last pick in rounds 2 and 3. If you grab your RB2 at 24, your WR's are gonna be weak, because most top tier WR's go from the end of the 2nd thru the 3rd. And if you take a WR at pick 24, your RB2 isn't until pick 36, ouch!

Redrafts should be random. One league I'm in we random every other round. The other is random selection and then serpentine the rest of the rounds.

Agree that dynasty and keeper are the only leagues that should use last years finish.