[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So looking for an SUV

bpwallace49

So I am in the market for an SUV. Preferrably 3 rows and used.

Also looking for something with some towing capacity for a pop up camper.

This will be my wife's primary car, and will be for shuttling around our 3 kids as well.

Any suggestions huddlers?

I bought an '04 Suburban last year that has the 3rd row seat, but has the bucket seats for the middle row so one of the kids can walk himself to the 3rd row. Has a great amount of storage behind the 3rd seat, and I tow my fishing boat with it. It's also 4WD, heated seats, the works. Had 55,000 miles on it and we paid less than $16000 for it. Can't remember the exact amount.

Been good so far. (knocks on wood)

I bought a 2005 Lexus LX470 with 40K miles on it several months ago. It has the fold-down third row seating and tow package. I absolutely LOVE this vehicle.

My wife has a Yukon XL and likes it, but prefers the Ford Expedition she had before it. We bought the GMC product because at the time it was significantly cheaper than the Ford. Either one would suit your purposes. I wouldn't buy another GM product, but that has little to do with the product.

My wife has a Yukon XL and likes it, but prefers the Ford Expedition she had before it. We bought the GMC product because at the time it was significantly cheaper than the Ford. Either one would suit your purposes. I wouldn't buy another GM product, but that has little to do with the product.

ford does not make the expedition any longer and most people wont give them up.

ford does not make the expedition any longer and most people wont give them up.

I think you are getting the Expedition and the Excursion confused. Ford does not make Excursion anymore, they still make the Expedition. If I could get my hands on an Excursion, I wouldn't give it up either. Damned CAFE standards :wacko:

I bought an '04 Suburban last year that has the 3rd row seat, but has the bucket seats for the middle row so one of the kids can walk himself to the 3rd row. Has a great amount of storage behind the 3rd seat, and I tow my fishing boat with it. It's also 4WD, heated seats, the works. Had 55,000 miles on it and we paid less than $16000 for it. Can't remember the exact amount.

Been good so far. (knocks on wood)

This is what we will be looking for for our next car now that we have the third. Bucket seats in the middle row. PITA to get my 4 year old in/out of the back all the time and my 6 year old would barely fit back there, so rotating them is not really an option. We have an '03 Honda Pilot currently, great car but not sure it would meet your exact needs. Havbe been told the newer models have more room in that third row, but we'd still prefer something with 3rd row bucket seats.

I'm about to trade my Tahoe in on a suburban or expedition EL (the extended length expedition that took the Excursion's place). I love my tahoe, but I'm leaning towards the expedition el. It seems like a solid ride, good towing power, plenty of room, and quite a bit cheaper (only looking at new).

I think you are getting the Expedition and the Excursion confused. Ford does not make Excursion anymore, they still make the Expedition. If I could get my hands on an Excursion, I wouldn't give it up either. Damned CAFE standards :wacko:

u are correct. :tup:

and a van cant pull a 23 foot boat.... just saying

This is what we will be looking for for our next car now that we have the third. Bucket seats in the middle row. PITA to get my 4 year old in/out of the back all the time and my 6 year old would barely fit back there, so rotating them is not really an option. We have an '03 Honda Pilot currently, great car but not sure it would meet your exact needs. Havbe been told the newer models have more room in that third row, but we'd still prefer something with 3rd row bucket seats.

We just bought a new Honda Pilot. The third row can fit adults fairly comfortably. We've had it for a month and I love it, but then, I was driving a 14-year-old Honda CRV, so pretty much anything was a step up. We were initially looking for an '09 or '10 Pilot (it was redesigned in '09), but there weren't many that came up for resale that fit what we were looking for, and I was able to negotiate a good deal on a new one, so we went with that. We have two kids, ages 6 and almost 2.

edit: We have the EX-L and it does come with the towing package.

Edited by montster

I currently drive a Honda Pilot and love it. We are getting RID of a minivan, because it doesnt meet our towing needs for our camper, and the Pilot I bought doesnt have a tow package. :tup: Plus my wife will be camping with the kids and her family without me a few times this year (my busy season) so she will need the tow package on her car for the summer camping season.

I have been looking at Yukons, and my wife just test drove a GMC Envoy XL SLT today and really liked it.

Suburbans and Expeditions are hard as hell to come by used at a decent value/ under 130K mileage.

Anyone own an Envoy? :wacko:

that is what i am getting next.

I've had mine about three weeks, and am loving it. I had planned on getting a used 2010, but after driving the 6.7L and seeing the difference in fuel economy and power, I just couldn't resist getting the new one. I got the 4x4 King Ranch crew cab. I've pulled some little stuff around with it, but really haven't put it to the test. I'll be doing some real towing over the Easter holidays. I'll let you know how it does.

What kind of budget are you looking at? 15k, 20K, 25K, 30K+?

I am the kinda guy that hates to have long term car payments and really dont give a rip about what kind of car I drive. I also drive cars until they are beyond reasonable repair .

My wife's car that just died was a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 196,000 miles that my mechanic is amazed lasted as long as it did. :wacko:

Sooo . . we are looking anywhere from 10K-20K. I plan to pay almost half down and the rest financed over 3 years max.

The Envoy she test drove today has 83K miles, is a 2002 and is the XL SLT trip package. Apparently that means that it has deluxe everything. Bose sound system, built in DVD, Onstar, leather, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
The Envoy she test drove today has 83K miles, is a 2002 and is the XL SLT trip package. Apparently that means that it has deluxe everything. Bose sound system, built in DVD, Onstar, leather, etc.

So we bought the Envoy. I was worried about it based on a lot of empirical evidence I had gathered about the Envoy, so I brought to my mechanic for a top to bottom once over just to be sure. Everything was gold, and the car had almost brand new tires, all new brakes, etc in the last 3-4 thousand miles. My mechanic asked how much they were asking and was amazed at what I got it for. He said it looked to be a company car for an exec that did nothing but drive locally, very little and had everything done in terms of preventative maintenance.

Kelley blue book and black book had the value listed at 3500 over my final price. :wacko:

Chief Dick . . . I may be road trippin out to Kansas City for the Packer game in December. We will have to get together for some bbq then . . .