[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Samuel franchised?

godtomsatan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to see if Samuel gets traded now for a draft pick. Belichick is supposedly more interested in Nick Harper than signing Samuel to the big contract that he wants.

Not surprised at all about Da Bears franchising Briggs, but I think that they'll offer him a long-term deal at some point.

Interesting to see if Samuel gets traded now for a draft pick. Belichick is supposedly more interested in Nick Harper than signing Samuel to the big contract that he wants.

Not surprised at all about Da Bears franchising Briggs, but I think that they'll offer him a long-term deal at some point.

I just don't see the point in franchising a player if you intend to eventually give him a long term deal. Players seem to just get pissed at the team when they tag them and look elsewhere when they finally are not tagged.

Edited by Jolly Rodgers

The Pats have their sights set on a championship this season. Why in god's name would they trade their best corner, who also happens to be one of the better ones in the NFL, to gamble on a young guy who probably isn't ready to play for them this year anyways. Heck, he'll probly get franchised again next year.

So you're saying that Samuel is unproven AND one of the better corners in the NFL? :D

yes that is exactly what I'm saying. He is one of the better corners in the NFL, but he hasn't been one long enough that a team would feel comfortable giving him that kind of money.

The Pats have their sights set on a championship this season. Why in god's name would they trade their best corner, who also happens to be one of the better ones in the NFL, to gamble on a young guy who probably isn't ready to play for them this year anyways. Heck, he'll probly get franchised again next year.

Maybe because Belichick doesn't believe in giving mega-contracts to one-year-wonder defensive backs? From what I've heard, Samuel wants Champ Bailey money. Hell, he let Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy walk when they wanted top dollar... and both of those guys blew Samuel out of the water at that point in their careers. Also, the Pats D didn't exactly suffer when Ty Law broke his foot and they had to stick Randall Gay in there back in '04.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samuel were traded for a first-round pick at this point. They're going to need to rebuild at LB and S soon.

Maybe because Belichick doesn't believe in giving mega-contracts to one-year-wonder defensive backs? From what I've heard, Samuel wants Champ Bailey money. Hell, he let Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy walk when they wanted top dollar... and both of those guys blew Samuel out of the water at that point in their careers. Also, the Pats D didn't exactly suffer when Ty Law broke his foot and they had to stick Randall Gay in there back in '04.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samuel were traded for a first-round pick at this point. They're going to need to rebuild at LB and S soon.

To be fair, BB obviously let Law and Milloy walk for a reason. To say they blew Samuel out of the water is looking at what they had done in the past, not what the coach evaluated they would be capable of going forward.

I have been one of the people that has talked about BB not giving out that contract to a 1 year wonder. Do I think Samuel will get or deserves CB money? No way...but I think he might get a pretty good offer. It's up to him what he wants to do about it.

Mega contract?? Samuel won't get a big contract from the Pats. The Pats don't give out big contracts. Did anyone ever imply that he was going to?? There is nothing stopping them from franchising him year after year until they figure out something better.

Furthermore....QUIT DREAMING, NOBODY IS GOING TO GIVE THE PATS A FIRST-ROUND PICK FOR ASANTE SAMUEL!! This story is done until he gets franchised again next year.

Mega contract?? Samuel won't get a big contract from the Pats. The Pats don't give out big contracts. Did anyone ever imply that he was going to?? There is nothing stopping them from franchising him year after year until they figure out something better.

Furthermore....QUIT DREAMING, NOBODY IS GOING TO GIVE THE PATS A FIRST-ROUND PICK FOR ASANTE SAMUEL!! This story is done until he gets franchised again next year.

If the Pats got a first rounder for Branch, ah nevermind, you heard that one before.

There is something stopping them from franchising him year after year. If they don't agree on a long term deal, a common thing is for the player to say "I'll sign this one year franchise deal, and not hold out, as long as you have it written in there I can't be franchised next year".

Samuel's agent thus far said Samuel was fine with being franchised and wasn't going to hold out, but this would change if they tried it year after year.

And before you make false statements, look up the contracts for Seymour and Brady, and then see if you still think the "Pats don't give out big contracts".

Edited by charty

Mega contract?? Samuel won't get a big contract from the Pats. The Pats don't give out big contracts.

Brady and Seymour didn't get big contracts? :D

Did anyone ever imply that he was going to??

Um, rumor is that he wants one, regardless of where it comes from.

Furthermore....QUIT DREAMING, NOBODY IS GOING TO GIVE THE PATS A FIRST-ROUND PICK FOR ASANTE SAMUEL!!

Wrong. Samuel is young, proven NFL talent who will play better right away (and is GUARANTEED to play well) than any first-round CB. The Pats got a first-round pick for Deion Branch, so why wouldn't Samuel warrant one?

This story is done until he gets franchised again next year.

Unless, of course, Belichick decides to trade him or Samuel decides to hold out. It's not done because you say it is.

Samuel is young, proven NFL talent who will play better right away (and is GUARANTEED to play well) than any first-round CB. The Pats got a first-round pick for Deion Branch, so why wouldn't Samuel warrant one?

I wholeheartedly agree with this. People often forget the regularity with which picks do not live up to the hype.

The problem is that, IIRC, the franchise tag entitles the team losing the player to 2 first round picks. That's a much steeper price, unless you are a top team looking for that last essential piece to win a championship.

Samuel holding out is a distinct possibility. Personally I think there should be a clause in the NFL PA prohibiting a player that is Franchised from holding out. It happens too often, and makes the tag somewhat useless.

The problem is that, IIRC, the franchise tag entitles the team losing the player to 2 first round picks. That's a much steeper price, unless you are a top team looking for that last essential piece to win a championship.

I'm not following you here. When do teams lose two first-round picks?

Edited by Bill Swerski

I'm not following you here. When do teams lose two first-round picks?

Found this somewhere.....

Teams are allowed to tag one player with the franchise designation. Other clubs are allowed to sign such players to offer sheets, but the original team retains matching rights for seven days after the offer sheet is turned in to the league. If the player’s original team does not match, it will be compensated with the signing team’s assigned first-round draft picks in two consecutive years. The player also has the option of signing the one-year franchise tender.

This never happens because no team will give up 2 first rounders for anyone. The more common practice is for the player to sign the 1 year franchise contract, and then the team trades that player to another team for whatever compensation they worked out in the trade (a 1st, or a 2nd, or a 2nd & a 3rd, etc.).

Then the new team works out a long term deal with the player.

Edited by charty

I see what you're saying...

“non-exclusive” franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

... but that rarely happens. Maybe I'm not paying close attention, but I rarely see teams giving up two first-round picks to steal a non-exclusive franchise palyers from another team. Aren't most of the franchise tags exclusive?

I see what you're saying...

... but that rarely happens. Maybe I'm not paying close attention, but I rarely see teams giving up two first-round picks to steal a non-exclusive franchise palyers from another team. Aren't most of the franchise tags exclusive?

:D no clue on that, but the impression I got listening to local radio was that this was the non-exclusive kind of tag.

:D no clue on that, but the impression I got listening to local radio was that this was the non-exclusive kind of tag.

Interesting... sounds like BB may be more interested in using Samuel as bait for draft picks than having him in a Pats uniform this season. I kind of doubt that he'll get TWO first-round picks for a guy with only one stellar season under his belt, but you never know.

Interesting... sounds like BB may be more interested in using Samuel as bait for draft picks than having him in a Pats uniform this season. I kind of doubt that he'll get TWO first-round picks for a guy with only one stellar season under his belt, but you never know.

I had posted this further up in the thread....

This never happens because no team will give up 2 first rounders for anyone. The more common practice is for the player to sign the 1 year franchise contract, and then the team trades that player to another team for whatever compensation they worked out in the trade (a 1st, or a 2nd, or a 2nd & a 3rd, etc.).

Then the new team works out a long term deal with the player.

For example, the Pats traded Tebucky Jones to the Saints in 2003 for the Saint's 3rd Round & 7th Round in the 2003 draft, plus a 4th Rounder in 2004. Jones was franchised, and worked out a long term contract with the Saints prior to the trade being finalized between the Saints and Pats.

An interesting sidenote on Samuel, he was drafted with a 4th round pick the Pats got from GB for T. Glenn.

Patriots received a 4th in 2002 and a 4th in 2003 from GB which later became Rohan Davey and Asante Samuel. Glenn attituded his way out of Green Bay in a year and was traded to Dallas for a 6th rounder.