[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

kpholmes does the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship

kpholmes

For the past fourteen years, one of my good friends has driven to Lake Tahoe (an hour away or so) and spent the week meeting celebrities at the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship. He's always wanted to bring me along, but I'd never really had the time as I was usually working. Well last year when he came back with autographs for me from LT, LT2, Thiesman, and about ten other notable names, I decided I finally had to get in on this. The event goes Tue-Sun, with the actual championship starting later in the week, but Tuesday and Wednesday the players do practice rounds and meet with the fans and such. So today, I was able to go up with my friend and see what it was all about.

The celebrity list of competitors can be found here.

We got there around eight and headed over to the putting courses and driving range. As it was just a practice day, there was really no organized times where certain celebrities could be found. On the way to the driving range, we passed by Mike Shannahan on the putting course. I said to him "I could have sworn we had you with that first field goal coach!" And he look up, gave me a grin and said "I can't tell you enough how much I love being able to call the time outs"

We headed over to the driving range and watched as some of the early risers headed out for their tee time. I was able to meet Digger Phelps right before he teed off. He was a pretty nice guy, but took his golfing very seriously.

Once we got to the driving range, there wasn't really anyone notable out just yet. Sacramento area radio stations were setting up, and getting ready to interview as many people as they could. Keenan McCardell was on the putting green for awhile, along with another non-famous guy who was growing tired of kids asking who he was.

It was at this point that the madness started, and Tony Romo emerged from the locker room and started walking towards the driving range. There are famous athletes, and there are celebrity athletes - Romo was definitely the latter. Everyone and their mom was trying to get him to sign something, or get a picture with him. As he walked by he signed my program for me, and my brother was able to get a picture of me meeting him. The madness continued with people screaming his name, and he eventually had to retreat into the celebrity food tent that was set up next to the driving range. My overall impression of Romo however was that he was a classy guy; smiled for everyone and did everything he could to sign as much as he could. Very nice guy.

This year my friend was representing our local newspaper at the tournament, and because of this had a press badge and was able to stand away from the fans and close to the celebrities. He's in a wheelchair and I was planning on helping him out through out the day as he got interviews and such, lucky for me this earned me a seat right on the edge of the driving range. For the next two hours as he interviewed celebrities that weren't walking anywhere near the fans, I was able to introduce myself and converse with a good handful of them. Because I didn't want to make my friend seem unprofessional, I limited myself to a a handshake and light conversation rather than asking for a picture or an autograph.

While on the driving range however, I was able to meet:

Tony Romo again - Who was even nicer away from the crowd (Yes, Jessica was in Tahoe, just not at the range that day)

Marshall Faulk - Who was very tired of signing autographs and fairly rude to most fans

Big Ben - Very cocky and full of himself, had two body guards whose arms were each the size of my torso

Jerry Rice - Very classy guy

Aaron Rodgers - This guy had a beast of a handshake, and was excited to talk Cal football with me

Other quick handshakes were - Jim McMahon, Emmit Smith, David Wells, Todd Heap

At this point, my brother and I went to go get some food and on the way off of the putting green, I pass Dick Jauron and introduce myself. We talked football for two minutes or so, talking about drafting Harding and Marshawn's current situation and stuff, then I was able to get a picture with him.

Got some terrible food inside, and when we came back out everyone was watching Romo and Michael Jordan on the driving range. I look over on the putting course, and this monstrosity of a man is putting. Low and behold, it's Jonathan Ogden! A late addition to the competition! Because he isn't in the program none of the random autograph seekers knew who he was, so there was no one around him. I went over the the side of the putting green and started small talking with him about why he retired, his favorite times in the NFL, etc... When I told him he was a shoe in to the HOF he said "Well, not everyone has to make it first ballot." I replied "Don't worry, you'll have Strahan beat." He quickly commented "Wouldn't be the first time!" and started laughing. Then he said he wasn't serious, and that they were great friends and each had their own rings to brag about. Amazingly nice guy, we chatted for at least fifteen minutes while he tried hard to be a better putter....

Later that afternoon, as we were walking over to one of the tee-off holes we ran into Kyle Boller. I told him I was a huge Cal fan, and he started talking about how nice it was that he and Aaron could be there, and hoped some of the other guys from Cal could be out next year and such. He took a picture with me, and then continued to chat with other fans. Amazingly nice guy, took pictures with every fan who approached him, and signed autographs for every last person before moving on.

As the day slowly wound down, we were sitting on a bench near the tunnel of the locker room and Herm Edwards came out. I went up and introduced myself, he made a joking comment about how it was nice to see a Raider fan wearing a collard shirt, we took a picture and then he continued with the other fans. Herm was amazingly kind, and very energetic and playful with a lot of the kids who approached him. You could tell just by watching he was a family man, who just loved socializing.

The Championship was definitely an awesome experience, and I wished I could have gone more than just today. (I hear that on Tuesday the players are all even more social). It was very cool being able to meet some of the big guys and talk football with them for a few minutes.

Maybe next year we can get a group of Huddlers out there together. :wacko:

kpholmes meets Tony Romo

kpholmes meets Dick Jauron

kpholmes meets Kyle Boller

kpholmes meets Herm Edwards

Later that afternoon, as we were walking over to one of the tee-off holes we ran into Kyle Boller. I told him I was a huge Cal fan, and he started talking about how nice it was that he and Aaron could be there, and hoped some of the other guys from Cal could be out next year and such. He took a picture with me, and then continued to chat with other fans. Amazingly nice guy, took pictures with every fan who approached him, and signed autographs for every last person before moving on.

Why was Kyle Boller playing in a Celebrity Golf outing?

Oh, and KP, you look like Ben Seaver from Growing Pains.

:wacko:

In all seriousness, this was a very cool read.

Why was Kyle Boller playing in a Celebrity Golf outing?

:D

He's been going for a few years now, probably starting back when he was the starting QB in BAL. He and Heap rolled together a lot, so if I could guess I'd assume Heap initially dragged him there a few years ago.

On another note however, all the women lined up to meet Kyle Boller and he was the only name we heard women saying when we were eating lunch. :wacko:

As the day slowly wound down, we were sitting on a bench near the tunnel of the locker room and Herm Edwards came out. I went up and introduced myself, he made a joking comment about how it was nice to see a Raider fan wearing a collard shirt

:wacko:

Thats awesome. I used to go to the Bob Hope Celebrity Golf Tourney in Palm Springs with a few buddy's every year but I was always too wasted to remember to take pictures lmao.

Great stuff!!

Tahoe's a lot better than Palm Springs this time of year. Well anytime really :wacko:

If you see ARod again tell him we're pulling for him.

As the day slowly wound down, we were sitting on a bench near the tunnel of the locker room and Herm Edwards came out. I went up and introduced myself, he made a joking comment about how it was nice to see a Raider fan wearing a collard shirt, we took a picture and then he continued with the other fans. Herm was amazingly kind, and very energetic and playful with a lot of the kids who approached him. You could tell just by watching he was a family man, who just loved socializing.

This is awesome, I liked Shanahan's joke too. Sounds like an awesome day, the best part is the real football talk you were able to get out of Ogden though and not the typical question-answers these guys are mostly used to hearing and replying with.

:D

He's been going for a few years now, probably starting back when he was the starting QB in BAL. He and Heap rolled together a lot, so if I could guess I'd assume Heap initially dragged him there a few years ago.

On another note however, all the women lined up to meet Kyle Boller and he was the only name we heard women saying when we were eating lunch. :wacko:

:D Nevermind...

but Ben does look like he could be a little full of himself possibly.

Let me take this opportunity to elaborate on how cocky Ben was.

First off, when you meet most celebrities they are nice to you, converse with you and have no problem meeting you. Ben wanted nothing to do with anyone, and when he did shake people's hands, he pretty much gave the impression of "You shuld be greatful you're meeting me."

What made him even more cocky in my opinion however, is that he had 2-3 body guards on his heels all day. Out of 75 or so celebrities, the only other person who had body guards at the entire championship with him was Michael Jordan, and that was just to keep people from jumping on him asking for his autograph..

Maybe I missed the memo, but I wasn't aware Big Ben was on the same level as Michael Jordan? :wacko:

Tool.

• 1 year later...
Let me take this opportunity to elaborate on how cocky Ben was.

First off, when you meet most celebrities they are nice to you, converse with you and have no problem meeting you. Ben wanted nothing to do with anyone, and when he did shake people's hands, he pretty much gave the impression of "You shuld be greatful you're meeting me."

What made him even more cocky in my opinion however, is that he had 2-3 body guards on his heels all day. Out of 75 or so celebrities, the only other person who had body guards at the entire championship with him was Michael Jordan, and that was just to keep people from jumping on him asking for his autograph..

Maybe I missed the memo, but I wasn't aware Big Ben was on the same level as Michael Jordan? :wacko:

Tool.

:tup: