[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Is Love

detlef

We're kicking around ideas for T-shirts for my upcoming Mexican restaurant Dos Perros, named for my two lovable mutts.

For one, we thought of borrowing from the somewhat common bumper sticker "Dog Is Love".

However, this is the south and I'm concerned that it might offend people assuming it needlessly makes light of religion.

Anything to this?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're kicking around ideas for T-shirts for my upcoming Mexican restaurant Dos Perros, named for my two lovable mutts.

For one, we thought of borrowing from the somewhat common bumper sticker "Dog Is Love".

However, this is the south and I'm concerned that it might offend people assuming it needlessly makes light of religion.

Anything to this?

I wouldn't do it - you know how religious people blow things out of proportion.

I don't know how much it actually would, but potentially putting people off is bad business. there's gotta be better options.

That was my concern. Of course, it was only going to be one of several T-shirt thoughts and I was trying to weigh the degree to which people love their dogs vs how many would get bent out of shape about the notion. I will say this, when people ask about the name and I explain, they immediately want to see pictures of the two and go on and on about what dog people they are. I think it's impossible to over-estimate the degree to which people adore their dogs.

For instance, if enough people got a kick out of it, that means there's a lot of people walking around with Ts that have my logo on the back. Meanwhile, if nobody reasonable would get freaked out by it, then it might be worth it. Hell, if for no other reason than there's one person pre-disposed to finding issues where they don't really exist that doesn't want to eat at my place (and that might not be a bad thing). Thing is, I don't know if taking issue with that is, in fact, finding issue where one doesn't exist.

I guess that's why I was trying to ascertain whether or not this was something that many, some, or almost no religious people would get pissed off about.

Anything to this?

Having lived in the South for the past 11 years, I don't think people would get too hung up on it.

Maybe you could have a Truth fish eating the dogs....

Having lived in the South for the past 11 years, I don't think people would get too hung up on it.

Maybe you could have a Truth fish eating the dogs....

Or you could have the 2 dogs in question at a table with fork/knive/bib staring at a fish symbol on a plate.

With all due respect, I think that is a horrible name for a restaurant. There will be countless references to dogmeat. From a consumers perspective I think you could do much better. Just my :wacko: .

FYI, the project has been underway for a few years now and the name has been very, very well received. I would imagine that, if it turns out the food is crap, the dogmeat references would start to surface more. Then again, if the food is crap, that will be the least of my worries. Oh, and btw, the food will not be crap.

I understand your concern but I think it will be fine and, at this point, there's certainly no turning back in this regard. The hype machine is on full throttle.

With regard to the "Dog Is Love" bit, I'm not interested in speculation as to whether people might get offended. It adds little to the discussion considering that I'm already aware that it "might offend". I'm truly mining for the opinion of people who are quite religious as to whether they, personally, are offended.

After all, these days, nearly any marketing campaign "might offend someone" . At the end of the day, what you need to determine is whether or not it actually does. It seems like the best ones are the ones that push it as far as is reasonable and assume a degree of tolerance and humor on the part of the public.

Hell, the very genre of restaurant I'm talking about has pushed this entire notion, I believe, far beyond what I'm talking about by cartoonizing an entire culture. That's the thing though, "I believe". I'm not religious so I can't see why "Dog Is Love" should be any more taboo than Lazy Pedro sleeping under a tree (a tact, btw, I don't intend to take). However, nobody thinks twice about going down this road with regard to the sensitivities of the public.

How about

The Feeder of the Pack?

Man's Best Friend (With a good illo of something like a loaded burrito)

I think you could got with the whole "Men are Dogs" line, as well.

Heck I just laughed out loud thinking of that poker playing dogs painting with Mexican food instead. :wacko:

How about

Man's Best Friend (With a good illo of something like a loaded burrito)

That's really good. I am, btw, looking to do more than one shirt (as I mentioned) so besides determining the Dog is love issue, cool suggestions are welcome.

With all due respect, I think that is a horrible name for a restaurant. There will be countless references to dogmeat. From a consumers perspective I think you could do much better. Just my :wacko: .

I've done marketing/branding for full-service hotels and their restaurants within, and I agree 100% wih the above.

Det, did you hire a marketing firm to focus group this name? While it may hold special meaning to you, associating a restaurant (that specializes in ethnic food, yes?) with dogs will certainly raise subconcious flags.

Onto the orginal question: the name would not offend me religiously in the least.

Dos Perros Ale

I am guessing you already had seen this?

Also found this article on the restaurant...note the first reader comment at the bottom :wacko:

More on Dos Perros restaurant at Rogers Alley

A thanks again to readers for the initial tip on the new restaurant from the owner of Chapel Hill's Jujube, and for the scoop on the new restaurant's name, Dos Perros.

......the new restaurant's owner, was present at Durham Rising at a special booth celebrating his new dining venture. He confirmed that Dos Perros Taqueria and Bar is slated to open in early 2008 over at Rogers Alley, the old fire station under renovation by Greenfire Development. Dos Perros represents Greenfire's first big win in bringing in a new restaurant/retail option to one of the buildings they've acquired downtown. With dinner entrees ranging from $12-30, Dos Perros also fits the same niche as Chapel Hill St.'s Rue Cler, which has enjoyed quite a bit of success as the pioneering upscale restaurant inside the loop.

The timing of Dos Perros' opening comes as no surprise -- the renovation schedule for Rogers Alley aside, the start date positions the restaurant perfectly to gear up in time for next spring's opening of the Durham Performing Arts Center, and for the concomitant re-opening of the Bulls for the '08 season. Given Dos Perros' location just north of the DPAC right at Mangum and Parrish Streets, in sight of and a short walk from the new theater, the restaurant looks to be just one of what I suspect will be many dining options to sprout up in anticipation of additional traffic downtown.

At the same time, given the seasonality of downtown dining -- except for Tyler's, which stays busy all year round, the American Tobacco restaurants' dinner crowds are noticeably heavier on Bulls game nights -- a winter opening helps avoid some lean months while still being ready to capitalize on the arrival of the new theater.

Besides dinner, according to the pre-opening menu Dos Perros will also be open for lunch Mondays through Saturdays, featuring daily specials like Yucatan-style pork and pan-roasted snapper, along with a wide range of tacos befitting the taqueria concept. Tacos alone will range from $2-3, with larger-portion taco platters and other lunch entrees running $8-12. Seafood, chicken and beef will all be on the menu for dinnr as well, along with at least a couple of vegetarian entrees.

Posted by Bull City Rising at 12:30 PM | Permalink

Digg This | Save to del.icio.us

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/...0e00986b3648833

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference More on Dos Perros restaurant at Rogers Alley:

Comments

I don't care how good the food is, it's never a good idea to have anything dog-related in the name of a restaurant...

"The meat in this taco tastes sort of... no - it couldn't be!"

Posted by: JDC | June 25, 2007 at 03:01 PM

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Anything to this?

Let's see... an unoriginal idea that you think might potentially offend some people? Sounds like a great business idea to me. :wacko:

I think the Dog is Love t-shirt is a bad idea. You have very little to gain and a lot to lose there.

The name of the restaurant is fine. Probably wouldn't be my first choice but it's catchy. Not sure I'd use pictures of dogs when decorating. And I definitely wouldn't have any barking coming from the kitchen.