[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

From a non- Saints fan perspective

rajncajn

Do you take issue with these quotes?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...-rb-reggie-bush

Q: You might be one of the most criticized athletes of all time because of all the expectations people put on you coming out of USC. Do you think that's fair?

A: You have to have thick skin in this business because it's a "what have you done for me lately" business. You can have a great game Week 1 and play terrible the next week and it doesn't matter because people are going to criticize you. Another thing you have to have is heart and determination, and those are things that I do have. My whole life, everything I've worked for and everything I've gotten I've worked for, so it's special for me. I know that once I do get to that point, because it will happen. Once I do win an NFL MVP, once we do win a Super Bowl, once I am in the Pro Bowl, it will be that much more special because of all the criticism that I went through.

Q: So I should expect you to win and MVP and a Super Bowl sometime soon?

A: Yes, you should expect that because that's what I expect from myself. There's nobody in this world that's going to expect more from me than me. I am my own biggest critic, and when I get a negative play or game I'm hard on myself.

Q: Can the Saints, now 6-0, go undefeated?

A: Of course my first answer is going to be, 'We're going to take it one game at a time, and that's our mentality" (laughs). I have to say it--if I don't say it, then I'm going to get some hell from teammates. But can we go undefeated? Yes, I do think we have the players, the chemistry, we have the heart and dedication, the coaching staff, we have the players and ...

ESPN has been making a big stink about this all week, saying Bush is predicting the Saints to go undefeated & that he will be MVP etc. I just didn't get that from these quotes at all. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

I think he said the right things and the things you would want him to say. He wasn't making braggadocious claims on the MVP, only talking about his personal expectation about himself. When asked, what football player is going to say 'oh yeah, we are going to lose and if we make the playoffs, we do not make the super bowl".

ESPN has been making a big stink about this all week, saying Bush is predicting the Saints to go undefeated & that he will be MVP etc. I just didn't get that from these quotes at all. :wacko:

A media source taking quotes out of context and warping them to create a story? NO WAY!!!

ESPN has been making a big stink about this all week, saying Bush is predicting the Saints to go undefeated & that he will be MVP etc. I just didn't get that from these quotes at all. :D

That's not like them to go and overhype the livin chit out of something that is not a big deal :wacko:

Edited by Delicious_bass

[

Not at all. I hope he does put it all together even if it is for one year or one big game (SB) to silence his critics. He is what he is and people should accept that. It's easy to criticise sitting on the couch. They guy is using his dedication, heart and desire with all he was born with. Cut the guy some slack and enjoy what he provides for the league and NFL.

This is to Saints fans what Kitna's "10-win guarantee" was for Lions fans. He clearly said that it was "his expectation" to make the playoffs, and you need about ten wins to make the playoffs, so he expected to win ten games--and he said it prior to both the 2007 and 2008 seasons. He never "guaranteed" anything . . .

. . . of course this didn't stop the national media, and fans of all teams, from relentlessly ripping on Kitna and the Lions for making such a guarantee.

Peace

policy

I have no problem with the quotes. I did say that Bush was way over-rated when he was drafted, and that he was a situational back at best. I believe I was correct in that assessment.

I disagree. I think he has been an absolute game-changer and an intrugal part to the turnaround of that franchise. Without him they simply aren't stellar according to history. With him, they have been one of the best teams in the NFL. I know Brees gets and deserves much more credit than Bush, but I don't think Bush should go without credit. Williams, Young and the rest that they could have taken simply haven't had the same type of impact.

I think he said the right things and the things you would want him to say. He wasn't making braggadocious claims on the MVP, only talking about his personal expectation about himself. When asked, what football player is going to say 'oh yeah, we are going to lose and if we make the playoffs, we do not make the super bowl".

Apparently any self-respecting skill position player would answer the MVP question with "oh, I'll never be MVP anyway, why bother..."

I have no problem with the quotes. I did say that Bush was way over-rated when he was drafted, and that he was a situational back at best. I believe I was correct in that assessment.

I don't know that I was ahead of the curve, but overall the top end '05 draft has been pretty disappointing. Williams has excelled and Ferguson has been solid, beyond that there's not much to look at.

Bush is by no means a BAD player but I think you could find a guy with his capabilities a LOT lower than wherever it was he was picked (2nd or 3rd overall?) - Josh Cribbs would be just as good, probably better, in a similar situation.