[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Javon Walker won't report

Randall

Rosenhaus says Walker won't report to camp

Posted: July 20, 2005

Unless things change in the next few days, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker will continue his holdout when training camp begins next week.

Advertisement

That's according to his agent Drew Rosenhaus, who said as much in an interview for HBO's Real Sports taped last Friday and scheduled to be aired next Tuesday at 9 p.m. on HBO.

Here's the exchange between reporter Bernie Goldberg and Rosenhaus:

Rosenhaus: "The news on Javon Walker is that we are, right now, we have already decided he is not going to go to training camp."

Goldberg: "Hold on. That is news."

Rosenhaus: "That is news. I've not said that before. But Javon and I spoke today. And we've made the decision that we're not going to report to training camp. And I can't say when we will report, or if, or when, but he will not be at camp."

Goldberg: "Because?"

Rosenhaus: "Because the teams refuse to negotiate with us. And he's making about half a million dollars, and he's one of the premier players in the league. I can't let this player go out on the field and jeopardize his career for that kind of money. I just can't fathom it."

(What a slug)

The transcript of the interview was e-mailed by HBO this morning to Journal Sentinel SportsDay columnist Bob Wolfley.

Veterans are scheduled to report to training camp next Wednesday and begin practice next Friday.

Walker, who has two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2001, is scheduled to make a base salary of $515,000 this season. Last year he made the Pro Bowl for the first time, leading the Packers with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Walker already has missed the team's mandatory minicamp this off-season.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree that Walker is worth more than 515K but I am tired of all these holdouts.

I am curious to see what kind of incentives his contract has ... I am sure if he puts up good numbers again this year his 515K will probably go up quite a bit.

I say just go to work!!!!

Because of contracts in the NFL not being guaranteed, I'm in Javon's court here (unless he got a $20MM signing bonus or something).  That's less than the 5-year veteran minimum that a third-string long-snapper would make.

887755[/snapback]

in all seriousness...I agree...

I disagree with Drew on the TO situation....but here...they are right...

Because of contracts in the NFL not being guaranteed, I'm in Javon's court here (unless he got a $20MM signing bonus or something).  That's less than the 5-year veteran minimum that a third-string long-snapper would make.

887755[/snapback]

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I know, but good grief! These holdouts are making me sick.

Guest THEbigred

I think y'all are forgetting about Walker's signing bonus money.

And I agree he should make more, but I'm quite sick of a player having ONE good freakin year and suddenly wanting top $. If he gets it and disappoints next year, is he OK w/giving some back?

And I agree he should make more, but I'm quite sick of a player having ONE good freakin year and suddenly wanting top $.  If he gets it and disappoints next year, is he OK w/giving some back?

887847[/snapback]

I agree. Everyone is forgetting the up front money the Packers paid when he signed. That should count for something. He's one year away from a big pay day. And to call Walker "premier" is absolutely laughable. The Pack has Driver and Ferguson right? Just wait him out. He'll report soon enough. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

I know a contract is a contract, but in today's NFL, this guy is worth way more than that. Period. Especially considering how violent this game is.

887730[/snapback]

Sure, but don't you think the Packers realize that? It's not like they want to lose one of the best in the game. I guarantee GB would award him the deal he's looking for in the middle of the season if he reported on time and didn't make this stink. He's trying to force their hand, but they can't set a precedent and waiver to the will of one player and his idiot agent.

Violent game, absolutely, with no guarantees. But they'd reward him even if he didn't make this mess.

The situation blows for fantasy owners as well as Packer fans in general. I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and Rosenhaus said if the Packers would agree to re-work his contract at some point during the season, that would be enough for him to advise Javon to report to camp. Just a promise from the Pack to pay him what he's worth is all it would take.

Now I know what a slime ball Rosenhaus is and he is probably FOS, but I wonder what the Packers stance on the whole thing is. Any Packer homers (Swiss???) have any snippets from managment?

Rosenhaus, may single handedly screw up the NFL in 2007. All this is setting the stage for that.

And I agree he should make more, but I'm quite sick of a player having ONE good freakin year and suddenly wanting top $.  If he gets it and disappoints next year, is he OK w/giving some back?

887847[/snapback]

There's the issue in a nutshell. The owners are stuck--guaranteed money is gone (unless you are Ricky, in which case you get your hat and go back to work). I am against Walker on this one--and here's why.

RECEIVING

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD

2002 Green Bay Packers 15 2 23 319 13.9 30 1

2003 Green Bay Packers 16 3 41 716 17.5 66 9

2004 Green Bay Packers 16 12 89 1382 15.5 79 12

TOTAL 47 17 153 2417 15.8 79 22

Pretty good year last year. However--and here's the part the players don't want to hear--ONE GOOD YEAR does not equal at top five contract. If he can repeat that performance again, or show even more growth, then next season, reward the guy for the effort. Why have contracts at all if no one plans to adhere to them? Imagine what would happen if the Raiders came in and said to Randy Moss, "Hey Randy, you weren't quite as good in 2004 as you were in 2003. You had only 767 yards and 13 TDs compared to 1632 yards and 17 TDs two seasons ago. So we are offering you significantly less to come here based on that one average season."

I'm sure Randy would be very understanding. :doah:

Edited by Ruffian

I agree.  Everyone is forgetting the up front money the Packers paid when he signed.  That should count for something.  He's one year away from a big pay day.  And to call Walker "premier" is absolutely laughable.  The Pack has Driver and Ferguson right?  Just wait him out.  He'll report soon enough. . .

887855[/snapback]

His signing bonus? :D I don't know what it was, but it was pennies -- he was drafted 20th. His signing bonus, I believe, was in the $2-3 million range. Even spread out over three years, he's severely underpaid.

The situation blows for fantasy owners as well as Packer fans in general. I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and Rosenhaus said if the Packers would agree to re-work his contract at some point during the season, that would be enough for him to advise Javon to report to camp. Just a promise from the Pack to pay him what he's worth is all it would take.

Now I know what a slime ball Rosenhaus is and he is probably FOS, but I wonder what the Packers stance on the whole thing is. Any Packer homers (Swiss???) have any snippets from managment?

888101[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the Packers mgmt is thinking. Some people say they're trying to adhere to a previous precedent for holdouts (McKenzie), but we have a new GM, so I doubt he cares to mimic Sherman's GM act. Others say Thompson doesn't want to set a precedent, which makes more sense.

Still, if all Rosenhaus wants is a promise that the Packers will reward Walker during the season (if he performs well, of course), I can't figure out what the hell they're thinking.

Walker deserves more money and he's already earned it. Everybody please stop with the "he's only had one good year" B.S. He's done everything asked of him since joining the team. He got to camp on time in his rookie year, he worked hard to fix his drops, and he's improved steadily throughout his career -- just like a WR is supposed to. He's also stepped up and made big catches at crucial times. That's the kind of player you WANT to reward with a new contract.

Plus, I don't see why they'd want to wait until next year, when Walker will almost certainly demand MORE money than he is now. :D

2002 NFL Draft - WRs

Wide Receivers

Player School Rd Sel# Team

Donte' Stallworth Tennessee 1 13 New Orleans

Ashley Lelie Hawaii 1 19 Denver

Javon Walker Florida State 1 20 Green Bay

Jabar Gaffney Florida 2 33 Houston

Josh Reed Louisiana State 2 36 Buffalo

Tim Carter Auburn 2 46 N.Y. Giants

Andre' Davis Virginia Tech 2 47 Cleveland

Reche Caldwell Florida 2 48 San Diego

Antwaan Randle El Indiana 2 62 Pittsburgh

Antonio Bryant Pittsburgh 2 63 Dallas

Deion Branch Louisville 2 65 New England

Marquise Walker Michigan 3 86 Tampa Bay

Cliff Russell Utah 3 87 Washington

Eric Crouch Nebraska 3 95 St. Louis

Ron Johnson Minnesota 4 123 Baltimore

Terry Charles Portland State 5 142 San Diego

Herb Haygood Michigan State 5 144 Denver

Jason McAddley Alabama 5 149 Arizona

Jake Schifino Akron 5 151 Tennessee

Freddie Milons Alabama 5 162 Philadelphia

Sam Simmons Northwestern 5 170 Miami

Kahlil Hill Iowa 6 184 Atlanta

Lee Mays Texas-El Paso 6 202 Pittsburgh

Jamin Elliott Delaware 6 203 Chicago

Javin Hunter Notre Dame 6 206 Baltimore

Deveren Johnson Sacred Heart 6 208 Dallas

Michael Coleman Widener 7 217 Atlanta

Kendall Newson Middle Tennessee 7 222 Jacksonville

Darrell Hill Northern Illinois 7 225 Tennessee

Daryl Jones Miami 7 226 N.Y. Giants

Ronald Curry North Carolina 7 235 Oakland

Rodney Wright Fresno State 7 249 Buffalo

David Givens Notre Dame 7 253 New England

Aaron Lockett Kansas State 7 254 Tampa Bay

One of things is not the same...

Given that rookie pay is based on draft position, Stallworth and Lelie are making more.

Walker has far outplayed his draft class. If the Pack won't pay him, someone will.

His signing bonus? :D I don't know what it was, but it was pennies -- he was drafted 20th. His signing bonus, I believe, was in the $2-3 million range. Even spread out over three years, he's severely underpaid.

888492[/snapback]

You think so? His first year he caught 23 balls. And he received a "$2-3 million signing bonus" PLUS his rookie base salary. I'd say he was severely OVERPAID in 2002. Do you honestly think the Packers won't pay him next year? Of course they will. But they do not want to set a dangerous precedent of re-doing contracts. Next thing you know Grady Jackson wants a new deal. And so on. Play out your contract. You signed it.

You think so?  His first year he caught 23 balls.  And he received a "$2-3 million signing bonus" PLUS his rookie base salary.  I'd say he was severely OVERPAID in 2002. Do you honestly think the Packers won't pay him next year?  Of course they will.  But they do not want to set a dangerous precedent of re-doing contracts.  Next thing you know Grady Jackson wants a new deal.  And so on.  Play out your contract.  You signed it.

888557[/snapback]

While I agree with this for the most part, I can see the side of Walker. Look at everyone else drafted that year. A good part have been cut already for not performing, regardless of what was signed.

In the NFL, a contract is more like a friendly agreement. The owners can cut someone without penalty. A player can hold out with the penalty of fines and possibly lost time served. I believe you only need 6 games to get 'a year' in.

So, both sides are using the tools at their disposal. I do know that Donald Driver got a new deal about two-three years ago. Maybe the Pack just don't want too much tied up at the WR position now, maybe they're being tough. For now, it's a no win for either side.

A good part have been cut already for not performing, regardless of what was signed.

888607[/snapback]

That's the difference ... Walker has performed, or at least he did last year. If he continues to perform why would the Pack not give him a good contract. Favre is right, but people don't want to realize it. I would imagine the players (at least the smart ones), would have insurance policies that would pay them if they got injured and couldn't play again ... similar to the one McGahee took out before his Fiesta bowl injury.

It all comes down to good ole' fashion selfishness. The team concept doesn't amount to crap anymore in the NFL (for some guys). It's the guys with this me first and me now attitude that give the game a bad name. Unfortunately, they are usually the ones that make the game exciting too.