[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tice on Moe Williams, Troy Williamson

kcmast

On Troy Williamson:

Tica said Williamson will start as the 5th WR.

-When is the last time a WR picked #7 overall starts out as the 5th WR on a teams depth chart (Buerleson, Robinson, Campell, Taylor)? Drafting anyone besides Buerleson at this point could be a waste...

On Moe Williams:

"The one thing thiat I think we'll see, which I talked about with the staff, is that Moe Williams will get more carries....I think we want to see Moe get some more carries in just a regular offensive scheme - first and second down."

I predict Coach of the Year honors are heading to MN! :D

On Troy Williamson:

-When is the last time a WR picked #7 overall starts out as the 5th WR on a teams depth chart (Buerleson, Robinson, Campell, Taylor)?  Drafting anyone besides Buerleson at this point could be a waste...

On Moe Williams:

"The one thing thiat I think we'll see, which I talked about with the staff, is that Moe Williams will get more carries....I think we want to see Moe get some more carries in just a regular offensive scheme - first and second down."

903070[/snapback]

Never take Tice seriously.

With a professional like Tice at the helm no doubt the Vikings will win another Super Bowl!

Edited by Randall

Never take Tice seriously.

With a professional like Tice at the helm no doubt the Vikings will win another Super Bowl!

903126[/snapback]

He was a good TE in Seattle, but what a meat head for a coach.

On Troy Williamson:

-When is the last time a WR picked #7 overall starts out as the 5th WR on a teams depth chart (Buerleson, Robinson, Campell, Taylor)?  Drafting anyone besides Buerleson at this point could be a waste...

On Moe Williams:

903070[/snapback]

While I don't think Tice is a great coach by any stretch of the imagination, if Troy Williamson is not ready or isn't performing up to whats expected, than he deserves to start as the 5th WR. Just because he's drafted high doesn't mean he should start right away. Heard an interview with Patriots GM (on Sirius) who was asked what the secret was to NE's success...he said one important thing is that the best player always plays in NE.....and he said a lot of teams say this but don't really abide by it. They will play high draft picks who aren't performing because they don't want to look like they made a mistake on draft day. (NO .. I am not comparing MN to NE, just making a point).

Me too.  Ron Gardenhire has the Twins just 3 games out of the wildcard race.

903081[/snapback]

I love Gardenhire, but I was shocked when he started Bret Boone in the third spot in the lineup his first day as a Twin. That one really made me wonder. There's a reason why Seattle is paying Boone 7 or 8 mill NOT to play for them.

I don't think Williamson has even signed yet.  Has he even reported to camp?  Based upon that alone I would have him as #5 on the WR depth chart too.  :D

903371[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking, Its hard to move up when you're not there!!

When Williamson signs after a week or two, it shouldn't be hard to pass Campbell for the fourth spot.

Is this even news-worthy?  I don't think Williamson will have a fantasy impact this year no matter where he is on the depth chart.

903404[/snapback]

No it really isn't news - The original post was supposed to be a slam on Tice on why a #7 overall pick was #5 on the depth charts. He is at #5 becuase he is not there. However, they say he could be 3 at some point in the season, but who knows. He's a rook and a reciever.

and BTW - from the STRIB blog

The Vikings and top pick Troy Williamson have agreed on a five-year contract. The receiver should arrive at training camp in Mankato in the next couple of days.

There is still work to be done because of the complex nature of the contract and some smaller details must be ironed out. “This might take another 24 to 48 hours until we’re in,‿ said David Canter, who is Williamson’s agent. “It will probably be Tuesday. Maybe tomorrow night.‿

Defensive end Erasmus James, the 18th overall pick in the draft, is the Vikings only unsigned choice.

No it really isn't news - The original post was supposed to be a slam on Tice on why a #7 overall pick was #5 on the depth charts. He is at #5 becuase he is not there. However, they say he could be 3 at some point in the season, but who knows. He's a rook and a reciever.

and BTW - from the STRIB blog

The Vikings and top pick Troy Williamson have agreed on a five-year contract. The receiver should arrive at training camp in Mankato in the next couple of days.

There is still work to be done because of the complex nature of the contract and some smaller details must be ironed out. “This might take another 24 to 48 hours until we’re in,‿ said David Canter, who is Williamson’s agent. “It will probably be Tuesday. Maybe tomorrow night.‿

Defensive end Erasmus James, the 18th overall pick in the draft, is the Vikings only unsigned choice.

903430[/snapback]

Actually he is not #5 now. Tice said he would be #5 when he reported. Tice said Keenan Howry is now the fifth WR.

I'm also not saying that Williamson should start just because he is the #7 overall pick, but if I spend the seventh pick on a WR, I would be disappointed if he wasn't slated a little higher on my depth chart (until he shows some stone hands or inability to run a route).

I wouldn't get too excited about what Tice says regarding Williamson. Tice has said that Williamson will get in on plays this year. That he will be used as Randy was when he was a rookie. That means that he will be in on some deep routes this year.

Tice doesn't want to put Williamson in a difficult situation of trying to replace Moss. Like if he doesn't replace Randy's numbers than he is a bust. Why would you expect anything different than what Tice has done. That would be complete bs. The kid's just a rookie, but he will get his chances to play.

I wouldn't get too excited about what Tice says regarding Williamson.  Tice has said that Williamson will get in on plays this year.  That he will be used as Randy was when he was a rookie.  That means that he will be in on some deep routes this year.

Tice doesn't want to put Williamson in a difficult situation of trying to replace Moss.  Like if he doesn't replace Randy's numbers than he is a bust.  Why would you expect anything different than what Tice has done.  That would be complete bs.  The kid's just a rookie, but he will get his chances to play.

903750[/snapback]

Agreed. Maybe kcmast should worry about his own team? Namely the wasted first round pick (I know he's not going to play until Favre's done, but the kid will prove to be a bust), the lack of any worthwhile off-season moves, the atrocious defense, the departure of key offensive lineman, and the 'holier than thou' QB who calls out his best WR because of money.

Agreed.  Maybe kcmast should worry about his own team?  Namely the wasted first round pick (I know he's not going to play until Favre's done, but the kid will prove to be a bust), the lack of any worthwhile off-season moves, the atrocious defense, the departure of key offensive lineman, and the 'holier than thou' QB who calls out his best WR because of money.

903781[/snapback]

Sorry for trying to provide some info. There may be people out there that would think a WR at #7 overall might be worth a fantasy spot. And if Moe is getting more 1st/2nd down carries, then Bennett goes down even further. I will go back to cheering for my Packers. I don't know why the NFL is even playing this season because everyone around here has already awarded the Super Bowl to the Vikings anyway....they must be doing it for us fantasy players :D

Sorry for trying to provide some info.  There may be people out there that would think a WR at #7 overall might be worth a fantasy spot.  And if Moe is getting more 1st/2nd down carries, then Bennett goes down even further.  I will go back to cheering for my Packers.  I don't know why the NFL is even playing this season because everyone around here has already awarded the Super Bowl to the Vikings anyway....they must be doing it for us fantasy players :D

903874[/snapback]

Travis Taylor was a top ten pick. He wants to play too!

The fact that the Vikings are downplaying what Williamson will accomplish this year doesn't mean it won't accomplish anything this year. Do you see the difference between actual production and advertising?

Sorry for trying to provide some info.  There may be people out there that would think a WR at #7 overall might be worth a fantasy spot.  And if Moe is getting more 1st/2nd down carries, then Bennett goes down even further.  I will go back to cheering for my Packers.  I don't know why the NFL is even playing this season because everyone around here has already awarded the Super Bowl to the Vikings anyway....they must be doing it for us fantasy players :D

903874[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm not too excited about all the Vikings 'hype' to be honest, I've fallen for that bit before and it hasn't panned out yet.

Travis Taylor was a top ten pick.  He wants to play too!

The fact that the Vikings are downplaying what Williamson will accomplish this year doesn't mean it won't accomplish anything this year.  Do you see the difference between actual production and advertising?

903940[/snapback]

I just wish the Vikings could be more honest about their draft picks. Maybe other teams do this too, but I don't hear about it. I first remember it with Denny saying so-and-so drafted in the 4th round was #10 overall on our draft board. Come-on. Now they draft Williamson#7 and say he is coming in as the #5 WR? Either it's BS to take the pressure off or there is no way he should have been picked that high.

From the Hearsay Department: A friend of mine (who gets their updates) told me Draftsharks ran a story several weeks ago that some member of the Vikings front office already had termed Williamson a "project". Apparently, the rookie has shown a lack of route-running skills and stone hands in mini-camps. I can't remember the exact stat, but I seem to recall in one particular drill Williamson was said to have dropped something like 40% of the catchable balls. Once again, I can't remember the exact details or who exactly the person on record was, or even if it was reported to me correctly, but that was the gist of the story. Take it for what you will. I personally don't think the odds are high that Williamson will be a major factor early on, or perhaps even this entire year. Who knows down the road...