[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question

cliaz

Has anyone here ever went into the draft and taken RBs in their 1st 4 rounds?

Just curious, i don't think i've ever seen that happen in any of my drafts.

Do you think:

1. Your team will be hurting in the WR department?

2. Will be stocked up and can trade to improve your team if you are lacking?

3. If you have done it, did you make the playoffs?

Just a curious thing.

Last year I went RB (Edge), QB (Culpepper), RB (C. Brown), RB (C. Martin) and RB (D. Staley). I ended up winning the league. I was able to swing trades with other teams because they needed RB's bad. I would not advise this stradegy but it depends on who is still avaliable. I could not pass on the players I took when I took them.

If you are in a league that is active in trading, then it could work if you get RBs that outproduce their projections, as that is how you can turn them into better WRs.

If your league is not big on trading, or you pick the RBs that underperform, you are up a creek.

Personally, I don't like to base a strategy upon trades my fellow owners might make with me. Owners can be skittish in trades, everyone fears being taken advantage of, even the savvy owners, and you might not ever be offered the kind of value you want for your stable of RBs.

Also, most owners probably won't need to come running to you for RBs until their RBs get hurt or they decide they need an upgrade, and who knows at what point in the season that might be? Week 4? Week 8? In other words, you can only start 2 RBs at a time (in most cases, flex position aside) and you don't want to have your STARTING team suffer the first several weeks of the season with Coles-level WRs, while RBs with preceived value rot on your bench.

Edited by msaint

Personally, I don't like to base a strategy upon trades my fellow owners might[/]make with me. Owners can be skittish in trades, everyone fears being taken advantage of, even the savvy owners, and you might not ever be offered the kind of value you want for your stable of RBs.

Also, most owners probably won't need to come running to you for RBs until their RBs get hurt or they decide they need an upgrade, and who knows at what point in the season that might be? Week 4? Week 8? In other words, you can only start 2 RBs at a time (in most casses, flex position aside) and you don't want to have your STARTING team suffer the first several weeks of the season with Coles-level WRs, while RBs with preceived value rot on your bench.

910240[/snapback]

Yeap, i agree. Leagues change from season to season, last year my league was very cheap in the trade department yet the 2 years before that they were very active.

I really want to change my drafting strag. this year and try for a "best avaliable no matter the position." but that scares me a bit.

Like what do you go into your draft with, mind set that is?

yea there is a dude i work with who said his plan of attack this year is to load up on RBS, as many as possible and build his team around that and trades.

I'm thinking he is crazy but i've heard stranger.

910146[/snapback]

You want crazier? The guy who introduced me to FF tried that same strategy three years ago... expect with QBs. He went Vick, Gannon, Garcia. And took some back ups late in the draft.

Needless to say, he got crushed like a vat full of grapes in the Napa Valley.

Edited by yo mama

I'm typicallly a 2-RB guy to start -- depending on draft position and value, of course, i.e. if T.O or Holt is there in round 2, I already have a good RB1 and the best available RB2 is Steven Jackson, I go WR, obviously. Same thing works for QBs: if Daunte is there over a 2nd-tier RB, I go with Daunte. I think the key is to be flexible and adapt to what your fellow owners are doing, don't get TOO locked into a rigid strategy. Take what the draft gives you..

That said, dont be too swayed by your fellow owners, i.e. don't get caught up in a TE run in the fourth/fifth round after Gates and Gonzo are gone, and you take Witten because everyone's snagging TEs, yet you've foregone, say, Cadillac Williams, Arrington or some high upside RB.

I'm typicallly a 2-RB guy to start -- depending on draft position and value, of course, i.e. if T.O or Holt is there in round 2, I already have a good RB1 and the best available RB2 is Steven Jackson, I go WR, obviously. Same thing works for QBs: if Daunte is there over a 2nd-tier RB, I go with Daunte. I think the key is to be flexible and adapt to what your fellow owners are doing, don't get TOO locked into a rigid strategy. Take what the draft gives you..

That said, dont be too swayed by your fellow owners, i.e. don't get caught up in a TE run in the fourth/fifth round after Gates and Gonzo are gone, and you take Witten because everyone's snagging TEs, yet you've foregone, say, Cadillac Williams, Arrington or some high upside RB.

910288[/snapback]

Yea normally I do 2 Rbs and then start going with the best available or what I need at the time. This year I have the 9th over all in a 12 team keeper league with all of the players available. (new league, broke off from our old league and started a new one up.) so everyone is on the table and i'm trying to figure out how I am going to set up my team.

I'm looking at like Kevin Jones as my top back, pretty much talked to everyone else in front of me to see who they are going to pick.

Of course I take that with a grain of salt.

Relying on trades to make your even out your roster is not something I would want to do. I've seen plenty of league where someone tries to corner a position whether it is QB, RB, WR or TE and it never seems to work out for them. I believe in most cases, the team ends up dealing from a disadvantage because they are so desperate at other positions.

I have seen that a couple of times over the years and I have never seen them do anything in the playoffs - in fact I do not recall them even making it. By the time you start on round 5 for all other positions, you are taking less than average players in every position. Since RB is usually no more than 2 or 3 of 8 or 10 starters, you end up with about 75% of your roster scoring less than almost all other teams. Unless you land some super sleepers - no way that works in any league I have ever been in.

I have seen that a couple of times over the years and I have never seen them do anything in the playoffs - in fact I do not recall them even making it. By the time you start on round 5 for all other positions, you are taking less than average players in every position. Since RB is usually no more than 2 or 3 of 8 or 10 starters, you end up with about 75% of your roster scoring less than almost all other teams. Unless you land some super sleepers - no way that works in any league I have ever been in.

910434[/snapback]

Oh man, DMD respond to one of my threads. I dont' know how to take this.

Yeah I hear ya on that. I couldn't do that, i try to go RB, RB but never RB, RB, RB let along RB, RB, RB, RB.

Good job on the site this year for pre-draft stuff.

Has anyone here ever went into the draft and taken RBs in their 1st 4 rounds?

Just curious, i don't think i've ever seen that happen in any of my drafts.

Do you think:

1. Your team will be hurting in the WR department?

2. Will be stocked up and can trade to improve your team if you are lacking?

3. If you have done it, did you make the playoffs?

Just a curious thing.

909970[/snapback]

I have done it in a league the starts 2 RBs and a WR/RB/TE flex spot. Being able to start 3 RBs every week is potent, and there are always WRs to find on the WW.

910434[/snapback]

Did I mention I won the championship in that league?

EDIT: I should say that I mean to point out that the question asked was subjective. I have been in leagues that require 1 RB, 2 WR, and 2 RB/WR. I have been in all kinds of configurations, and I think that a question like this needs to take that into consideration.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I did that in my local leaguea couple of years ago, but we start 3RB every week; I did get to the Superbowl that year, but lost. :D

If I remember right my draft went James, Holmes, J. Lewis, W. Dunn.

In a league where we can start a max of 3 RB's, I'm keeping D. Davis, C. Brown, and L. Jordan. I also have the first overall pick. I will be drafting Tomlinson. I will go WR - WR in the 2nd and 3rd round, and then Bulger in the 4th if he's still there.

If you take four RBs that early, I would first make sure the members of your league are VERY active traders. And, you might want to grab RBs with easy early schedules, as it will be easier to trade a RB after week two who has a couple of good performances under his belt than a RB who went up against Philly and New England.

I did that in one league last year, but that league started 1RB, 1 WR, and then 3 flex positions. So I was able to start 4 RBs every week.

If it weren't for that particular roster setup, I never would have done that.

Incidentally, I won that league. It was a first-year league, and some of the owners didn't think through that roster setup enough. I expect this year to be harder.

I did it about three years ago in my local and I ran away with the title. Outscored the rest of the league by about 150 points. Took Edge in the 1st, Priest in the 2nd, Jamal Lewis in the 3rd, and Tiki Barber in the 4th. To top it off, I got Charlie Garner in the 7th and he exploded over the first four games.

Edge took off slow and had a fairly poor year. Offered him for Terrell Owens who blew dog over the first three games that year. The other guy didn't want any part of that trade. He took Charlie Garner and Todd Pinkston for Owens and A-Train instead. Garner was solid, but Owens put up about 16 TD's over the last 13 games of the season :D

A lot depends on the number of teams in the league. I play in 12 team, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR leagues. Last year I drafted 3 RBs in the first three picks several times. In a lot of the those leagues guys like Travis Henry, Curtis Martin, and Tiki Barber were still available in the 3d, 4th and even 5th round. I wound up with Trent Green or Aaron Brooks at QB. WR was a bit of a scramble but I was landing Issac Bruce and Jimmy Smith. I'm finding in the twelve team leagues there is usually a lot of WR talent left over. In my first draft this year, Charles Rogers went undrafted.

I don't think I'd try 3 RBs again this year because the talent pool at the position is much deeper. By the way, this year in my first draft, I went S. Alexander, R. Moss, D. McNabb, Witten, Benson, Steelers, Steve Smith, Carnel Williams, Lee Evans, Leftwich, Pittman, Jolley, Colts, Stover.