[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thomas Jones

Avernus

Lovie Smith has lost his patience with Benson and must be prepared to play the softer part of their schedule with maximum efficiency. Also, without a ton of time to even figure out how smart of a player Benson is, they are running a risk of having Grossman get beat up bad without the proper amount of protection from the RB.

In a little article about Benson's holdout today, Kevin Jones said it best.

"I signed the first chance I had to sign. I didn't really care about who signed around me," Jones said. "I just wanted to get a chance to get on the field and set an example for the team. My advice to all the young guys coming in is get in camp. Sometimes the agents have a job to do to get their clients paid. And the teams have a job to do too. For me, I had to get in camp."

Jones said his progress was slower than he expected even with a full training camp.

"The biggest adjustment was probably pass blocking," Jones said. "I had to do it in college, but I had one or two guys and that was it. Here you have to read the defensive line and know who your linemen are getting and read the linebackers and the safety rotation--all that sort of stuff. It takes time. That's why I was saying as a rookie running back, I think you should get in camp and try to learn as much as you can."

Lovie Smith has lost his patience with Benson and must be prepared to play the softer part of their schedule with maximum efficiency. Also, without a ton of time to even figure out how smart of a player Benson is, they are running a risk of having Grossman get beat up bad without the proper amount of protection from the RB.

In a little article about Benson's holdout today, Kevin Jones said it best.

"I signed the first chance I had to sign. I didn't really care about who signed around me," Jones said. "I just wanted to get a chance to get on the field and set an example for the team. My advice to all the young guys coming in is get in camp. Sometimes the agents have a job to do to get their clients paid. And the teams have a job to do too. For me, I had to get in camp."

Jones said his progress was slower than he expected even with a full training camp.

"The biggest adjustment was probably pass blocking," Jones said. "I had to do it in college, but I had one or two guys and that was it. Here you have to read the defensive line and know who your linemen are getting and read the linebackers and the safety rotation--all that sort of stuff. It takes time. That's why I was saying as a rookie running back, I think you should get in camp and try to learn as much as you can."

920351[/snapback]

Good post Gil! In another thread I quoted Sayers, Rashon, and Enis. All saying the same thing w/ Enis & Salaam being the ones who 'WERE THERE...DONE THAT'.

As Sayers said (i'm paraphrasing) The $$ you're going after now are not enough to stay out of camp! Good advice. Many of these managers/agents are wh-ores. Their intrest is in $$$ only. These kids need a mentor, unpaid, to give them the advice they need. Cedric is a pawn, and needs a kick in the ass! TJ looked good Mon. And Lovie, my opinion, is not a guy you F' with. He's headstrong and that's a good thing. If/When Benson signs, will have to prove himself @150% BEFORE LOVIE WILL TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY! JMHO....again. :D

Sounds like another tactic to get Benson into camp.

920369[/snapback]

The article actually had quotes from Roy Williams, who was Cedric's team mate at UT and Kevin Jones, the 2nd year RB from Va Tech. So, I don't think it had anything to do with "tactics".

Good post Gil!  In another thread I quoted Sayers, Rashon, and Enis.  All saying the same thing w/ Enis & Salaam being the ones who 'WERE THERE...DONE THAT'.

As Sayers said (i'm paraphrasing) The $$ you're going after now are not enough to stay out of camp!  Good advice.  Many of these managers/agents are wh-ores.  Their intrest is in $$$ only.  These kids need a mentor, unpaid, to give them the advice they need.  Cedric is a pawn, and needs a kick in the ass!  TJ looked good Mon. And Lovie, my opinion, is not a guy you F' with.  He's headstrong and that's a good thing.  If/When Benson signs, will have to prove himself @150% BEFORE LOVIE WILL TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY!  JMHO....again. :D

920377[/snapback]

Robn, I read those as well, and it was funny to see Salaam drop all this Policy style knowledge after he was the biggest bong hitter we've seen in this town.

Again, for me--it's not about how well this kid will be able to run the ball between the tackles, or how he can get outside with a burst, because I believe any RB taken this high should automatically have those questions answered. It's mostly about how a rookie can get into camp, adjust to a profession, mesh with the team, and answer the question of whether or not he can be a 3 down back, capable of running, catching out of the backfield, and most importantly, reading where the blitz is coming from and picking it up with authority.

Without that instinct or knowledge, he'll be a 30% player this year....it's a very important part of the game knowing you can have single RB, and 4 WR's in the set if needed, and that RB becomes more of a weapon. Without Benson being able to fill that role, it's Jones' job to lose, because teams will easily pick up the tendency after the 2nd/3rd game..............the film don't lie.

Has there been any talk in Chicago about the hold out? What is the reasoning behind it.

If he gets in soon he still should be all right to start. He still has 3 weeks to get the passing scheme down, plus i think Jones will still be in on the passing downs reguardless.

Edited by VikesGuy

Has there been any talk in Chicago about the hold out?  What is the reasoning behind it. 

If he gets in soon he still should be all right to start. He still has 3 weeks to get the passing scheme down, plus i think Jones will still be in on the passing downs reguardless.

921706[/snapback]

$$$! :D

$$$! :D

921718[/snapback]

I will never understand rookies holding out for money, how much room can you move you are going to be stuck between the guy drafted before you and the guy drafter after you. Sounds like a no brainer to me. But then i guess that is why i am sitting behind a computer and they are out there making millions playing a game.

Edited by VikesGuy

I will never understand rookies holding out for money,  how much room can you move you are going to be stuck between the guy drafted before you and the guy drafter after you.  Sounds like a no brainer to me.  But then i guess that is why i am sitting behind a computer and they are out there making millions playing a game.

921733[/snapback]

As a teacher and a high school coach of a variety of pro-ability and actual pro players.....many of these guys don't have the maturity or the mentality to take control of their own affairs. Ultimately, they are suppose to be the agent's employer, but all too often it ends up being the other way around. Sounds like I'm blaming agents? To an extent, yes, but where does the buck stop? With the guy who has to John Hancock on the signiture line. :D

Good post Gil!  In another thread I quoted Sayers, Rashon, and Enis.  All saying the same thing w/ Enis & Salaam being the ones who 'WERE THERE...DONE THAT'.

As Sayers said (i'm paraphrasing) The $$ you're going after now are not enough to stay out of camp!  Good advice.  Many of these managers/agents are wh-ores.  Their intrest is in $$$ only.  These kids need a mentor, unpaid, to give them the advice they need.  Cedric is a pawn, and needs a kick in the ass!

920377[/snapback]

As a teacher and a high school coach of a variety of pro-ability and actual pro players.....many of these guys don't have the maturity or the mentality to take control of their own affairs.  Ultimately, they are suppose to be the agent's employer, but all too often it ends up being the other way around.  Sounds like I'm blaming agents?  To an extent, yes, but where does the buck stop?  With the guy who has to John Hancock on the signiture line. :D

921908[/snapback]

I posted that earlier. These kids need a mentor more than an agent. :D

i have T Jones on my radar as a RB4. Maybe a RB3 if the hold out lasts much longer.

i see vague similarities with the Brees/Rivers thing from last year.

You can't fault Jones for what happened last year. It has been well discussed here on the board, but I think with the adjustments in the OL, and a healthy Grossman, Jones could have a top 15 season for a RB if he is given the chance... and Benson is giving him the chance.

I'm going to draft Benson and this is just making me have to get TJ earlier than I really want to.

922486[/snapback]

I agree.. the longer he holds out the more quickly someone else will want to draft Tomas Jones... as they should.

You cant have some cat in there who cant pass block... the CHI qb's look bad enough without getting their blocks knocked off.