[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grossman Down!

gilthorp

Two words: Jeff Blake.

He's old, sure, but he has a good arm, is very experienced, and IMO is capable of leading an offense and doing a decent job in this kind of situation. He's bounced around a little (backed up McNabb last year), but that would probably be an advantage, too, as he's used to adapting to new situations. Perhaps best of all, the guy would come pretty cheap.

Found this item about Blake in the HOTW archives (dated May 4, 2005):

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports free agent QB Jeff Blake (Eagles) is being pursued heavily enough that he should not have a problem landing a job for the 2005 season. Blake has resisted one-year deals and would like to sign a three-year deal that will give him more security. So far, no long-term deal has been offered.

I imagine this is why he's still on the street instead of in somebody's camp. At this point in the preseason, perhaps he would settle for a 1 or 2 year deal, but maybe not. Whatever the case, he's worth pursuing.

A plug and play kind of guy, which is just what the Bears need. :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think it's more like 13 QBs, but guys like S. Matthews, C. McNown & J. Miller rotated in & out a lot around 99-00, so I guess you could count them x2.

925148[/snapback]

I once traded J. Miller in a league for a beer and a bag of pork rinds.

I think this is a blessing in disguise for Bears fans as Grossman IMO is not going to be their savour at the QB position anyways and Kyle Orton seems to me to be a much better pure passer.  Give Orton a chance to take the reigns and he should give Bears fans what they've been waiting for.

925539[/snapback]

I agree 100%. Orton was a stud in college, and I think a steal in the draft. Not that Chicago has been a hotbed for QB's lately, but he could just turn into a quality NFL QB. If he gets a year or two to develop as the starter, he'll be a very good one.

I agree 100%.  Orton was a stud in college, and I think a steal in the draft.

927567[/snapback]

I'm not sure which college you're talking about, but Orton was NOT a "stud" at Purdue. He was pretty good, but was constantly being pressed by Brandon Kirsch and got benched in favor of Kirsch a number of times.

He deserves a chance to prove himself, but I agree with Hook that there's no evidence yet to suggest that he's NFL starter material.