[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grossman Down!

gilthorp

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my buddy called me last night while i was out getting some eats. he was watching the game on direct tv and immediately told me about grossman. i really don't have much to add other than i think the people that are saying to start orton are right. we know hutchison is not an nfl start caliber guy and he's proven that over and over. orton is the next best thing to rex. throw him into the fire, get him some experience, and see what he can do. i'm hoping that orton gets the job over the next couple of weeks.

I think this is a blessing in disguise for Bears fans as Grossman IMO is not going to be their savour at the QB position anyways and Kyle Orton seems to me to be a much better pure passer. Give Orton a chance to take the reigns and he should give Bears fans what they've been waiting for.

Line up Benson and Jones in the backfield with no QB.  Just direct snaps and option plays.

925245[/snapback]

OK here is a question for everybody... somewhat serious, but obviously strange... has any offense (Pro or College) ever lined up 2 QB's like in a shotgun formation, one obviously a decoy but would still have to be accounted for in case of a backfield pass to him? It's a fine line between genius and madness people!!!

The Bears might be ready for a little madness right about now. :D

Doesn't anyone think Kittner can win the job?  I think he's matured a lot since his 2 TD 6 INT stint with Atlanta.

925623[/snapback]

The only reason he could is because of his experience in Turner's system in Champaign. But, he won't make the squad since I'm sure the Bears will hold out hope for a Grossman return in November and won't clear the roster spot.

My dissapointment is from the wind being sucked out of the sails of the season, not because I thought Grossman was the answer....but it sure would be nice to have found out THIS YEAR!

Orton isn't the healthiest guy, either...he'll need replacement hips by the time his playing days are over....but they should let him take the job until he gets hurt for the year IMO.

Didn't see the game, caught the low lights when we got to our room. It's all been said. :D:D Hutch, play him for several weeks, if he does ok, leave him in, if not put in Orton, though I hate seeing rookies start. Kitner... :D

Jerry Angelo better get his rookie into camp, and then work on the QB situation like he should've done before this happened.  Maybe placing a call to SD about Rivers would be a great place to start.

925893[/snapback]

i don't particularly like rivers but thats not too bad of an idea. they would have to do some cap maneuvering i would imagine. i think the price would also be more than the tight fisted bears would give up. in all likelihood, they pickup a scrub and let hutch suck for a while before orton gets the nod. depends what he does in preseason and how much he picks up.

Jerry Angelo better get his rookie into camp, and then work on the QB situation like he should've done before this happened.  Maybe placing a call to SD about Rivers would be a great place to start.

925893[/snapback]

this would be a very good idea. Sadly, I doubt the Bears are that smart.

Edited by CaptainHook

925893[/snapback]

Jason White is now available..

So is it time for the Bears to cut bait with Grossman?

925012[/snapback]

Yep. Let's recap:

(1) 12/03 - Tears tendon in throwing hand. Couldn't throw a ball for two months.

(2) 9/04 - Tears ACL. Out for the season.

(3) 8/05 - Breaks ankle. Out 3-4 weeks.

I like Rex's potential and attitude, but he's got a freaking enormous glass jaw. If they cut him now, could they withold this season's salary?

Maybe placing a call to SD about Rivers would be a great place to start.

925893[/snapback]

Agreed. I'm not sure if they'd be able to absob the cap hit, but they need a young QB whose college career showed strong promise for success in the NFL. I'm not sure that Orton fits into that category (he's also fresh out of college, so we won't know for at least another year) and Kittner isn't even close. Since Hutchinson has already shown that he's not a legitimate starter, Rivers should be a target. Offer Orton and a second-round pick.

If that doesn't work, they need to bring in a proven vet and hope that Orton pans out in a year or two. If I were Angelo, I'd be on the phone with Testaverde's agent right now.

I like Rex's potential and attitude, but he's got a freaking enormous glass jaw.  If they cut him now, could they withold this season's salary?

926122[/snapback]

They would take a salary cap hit.

For the salary, they would have to pay the salary up the time he would have been healthy enough to play.

He's a significant improvement over their current squad of scrubs.  Sounds good to me!

926133[/snapback]

They would have to give up alot to get him because he, imo, is one of the better backup qb's in the league. I dont know what the Bears could offer, but a starting cover corner and a couple of draft picks would be a good place to start. Oh, and they would have to agree to take Pacman Jones off the Titans hands... :D

The only reason he could is because of his experience in Turner's system in Champaign. But, he won't make the squad since I'm sure the Bears will hold out hope for a Grossman return in November and won't clear the roster spot.

My dissapointment is from the wind being sucked out of the sails of the season, not because I thought Grossman was the answer....but it sure would be nice to have found out THIS YEAR!

Orton isn't the healthiest guy, either...he'll need replacement hips by the time his playing days are over....but they should let him take the job until he gets hurt for the year IMO.

925696[/snapback]

Last I saw, was (in order):

1)Grossman...OUT

2)Hutch...... :D

3)Orton...I hate to start a rook. Look at testaverdie! Would have been better given time.

4)Dinwiddie............. :D but may be qualified for the taxi squad/reserves.

5)Kitner.....Not NFL quality, but mebbee.

Da Bears are in deep chit. Not sure if the available QB's (Johnson, et. al.) would have been a good safety valve. I say 3 preseason games left....look at Hutch. If he turns into a turd....Bring in the rook! JMHO.

Edited by rocknrobn26