[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

O.k. I'm now officially worried about Ward

Menudo

I saw the tittle of the article and thought, great, they are talking, but after reading the article, I felt :D

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05225/553553.stm

No progress, but Steelers, Ward talk

Saturday, August 13, 2005

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Despite their stance of not negotiating with players who are not in training camp, the Steelers continue to have discussions with the agents for holdout receiver Hines Ward and have talked directly to the four-time Pro Bowl performer.

Nonetheless, the Steelers are no closer to resolving their differences with Ward, who is seeking a contract extension, and are now being led to believe he eventually will report later in the season merely to play out the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

Ward would have to report to the Steelers by the 10th week of the regular season and be on the 53-man roster for the final six games to be credited with fulfilling the final year of his contract.

Once he does that, he can become an unrestricted free agent and is free to sign with another team.

Ward's agent, Eugene Parker, could not be reached for comment.

A report on ESPN Thursday night said Ward is resigned to sitting out the first six games of the season before reporting. When asked yesterday about the report, coach Bill Cowher said, "I don't want to comment on that."

Players need to shut up and play football.  I am so sick of the soap operas in the NFL.  My wife wants to watch SportsCenter now just as much as I do because it reminds her of "Days of Our Lives."  :D

925556[/snapback]

Ward was promised a new deal. He's not grandstanding and holding press conferences in his driveway. He's simply holding the Steelers to the agreement that they had. He's played out his contract, and this is the final year of that contract. I don't get why the Steelers are dragging this one out. Pay the man.

Have I missed something here? Pittsburgh did make an offer, Hines refused it.

And what exactly is "randomly demanding a new contract"? Whether its justified or not, whether the player is liked or disliked by the media/fans, players under contract that demand a new deal are in the same boat.

I can't believe the Steelers let things get this far. Ward considered holding out last year but reported to camp and played 100% (as he always does) for the entire year. As was already mentioned, he was promised a new contract before the start of training camp and the Steelers said Ward was the #1 priority for the offseason. W(hy)TF did they wait so long to offer him the first contract then?!? They left Ward with no option but to hold out.

Usually the Steeler handle these situations very, very well.... but they have totally fliped this up :D

Have I missed something here? Pittsburgh did make an offer, Hines refused it.

Does Ward have to accept? The point it the Steeler fliped up by waiting too long to make the initial offer... giving Ward no choice but to hold out or accept the offer.... that's hardly how you should treat your #1 priority.

And what exactly is "randomly demanding a new contract"? Whether its justified or not, whether the player is liked or disliked by the media/fans, players under contract that demand a new deal are in the same boat.

925866[/snapback]

How many players play the final year of their contracts? I'd guess not many due to the potential of injury... and in Ward's case he's been underpaid for the last few years but honored his contract throughout. The Steelers need to pay Ward to get him into camp.

Does Ward have to accept?  The point it the Steeler fliped up by waiting too long to make the initial offer... giving Ward no choice but to hold out or accept the offer.... that's hardly how you should treat your #1 priority.

How many players play the final year of their contracts?  I'd guess not many due to the potential of injury... and in Ward's case he's been underpaid for the last few years but honored his contract throughout.  The Steelers need to pay Ward to get him into camp.

925875[/snapback]

:D

Wards situation is a vicious circle isnt it? You say they need to pay him to get into camp, yet Steeler management wont negotiate until he reports.

Youve already stated that Steeler brass normally handle these things very, very well. If thats the case, maybe all Ward needs to do is report to give manaement the opportunity to make good on what they have said they would do. :D

Edited by Fenokee

Wards situation is a vicious circle isnt it? You say they need to pay him to get into camp, yet Steeler management wont negotiate until he reports.

It should have never gotten to this point... they should have had the deal done before now... but yeah, your right..... someone has to blink now.

Youve already stated that Steeler brass normally handle these things very, very well. If thats the case, maybe all Ward needs to do is report to give manaement the opportunity to make good on what they have said they would do.  :D

925888[/snapback]

That probably would work and I hope Ward does report soon... he can always say he won't play the season without a contract... that would be a way for the situation to be resolved.

Again though.... don't discount how much Ward has worked with management in terms of playing the last couple years under his current contract.... I really think this is a unique situation and Ward has done alot to show management what kind of team player he is.... the whole situation sucks.

It should have never gotten to this point... they should have had the deal done before now... but yeah, your right..... someone has to blink now.

That probably would work and I hope Ward does report soon... he can always say he won't play the season without a contract... that would be a way for the situation to be resolved.

Again though.... don't discount how much Ward has worked with management in terms of playing the last couple years under his current contract....  I really think this is a unique situation and Ward has done alot to show management what kind of team player he is.... the whole situation sucks.

925898[/snapback]

Agreed...

Ward has put up with an underpaid contract for the past few years now because he wants to retire a Steeler, and he thought Pittsburgh wanted the same...

Agreed Steeler. And I also realize that Ward would be taking a chance (injury wise) by reporting without a deal in place. But thats football, and I doubt many players step on the field with the mindset of "I hope I dont get hurt today". He's using that as an excuse at this point (valid or no).

This could be a win-win situation for both sides if he would just report. All this talk about what he's "done" for the organization falls on deaf ears when the Steelers have Staley banged-up, grand-pa Bettis toting the rock, and the WR situation in disarray.

Local talk said that the offer that the Steelers hit Ward with was pretty close to what he wanted.

Now we are at a point where the Steelers will not cave in and negotiate with Ward while he is still not in camp. This is the Steeler way and each and every one of those players knows it. I am sure that each agent knows it as well. I am a supporter of this policy and as must as I want Ward back, I don't want the Steelers to start caving in at this point.

If I am Steeler brass, or Cowher, or anyone with any pull in the Steeler organization, I am going to call Ward and tell him to report to camp and we will start on your contract the same day. I am telling him that we are 100% committed to making sure you remain a Steeler forever. Report and we start. If we are not negotiating in good faith then go ahead and walk but if you want to meet us half way then report and we will get this done.

I say put the ball 100% in Wards court and see what we see. Otherwise, I fear that Hines is near the end of his Steeler days. :D