[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DD owners

SLAYER

Is it me or are there any other DD owners who are feeling a little less confident about him after his four attempts from the one without scoring.  :doah:

928101[/snapback]

Never been a DD fan. Unfortunately, in my BOTH keeper league, I have to keep him due to the value I'm keeping at (3rd round pick).

Never been a DD fan.  Unfortunately, in my BOTH keeper league, I have to keep him due to the value I'm keeping at (3rd round pick).

928108[/snapback]

I haven't been a fan...he appears to get dinged way too easily...I put him outside the top 10 in my rankings just because of the fact I don't want to draft him...

I don't understand the Texans strategy.  They flat out refuse to get any help on a dreadful offensive line.  It makes no sense.

928103[/snapback]

In their defense they did try to get Orlando Pace and signed Victor Riley (not sure if that is an upgrade though), but you are right that line is horrible. I am hoping that maybe another year together might help them gel as a unit. If not they have to address it in the draft next year no questions asked (some good linemen coming out next year: D’Brickashaw Ferguson would be perfect :D ) I have heard some rumors that they were interested in Verba at one point, but once again I am not sure how big of an upgrade that is. :D

In their defense they did try to get Orlando Pace and signed Victor Riley (not sure if that is an upgrade though), but you are right that line is horrible.  I am hoping that maybe another year together might help them gel as a unit.  If not they have to address it in the draft next year no questions asked (some good linemen coming out next year: D’Brickashaw Ferguson would be perfect :D )  I have heard some rumors that they were interested in Verba at one point, but once again I am not sure how big of an upgrade that is. :D

928166[/snapback]

Who do you see as the primary back up to Davis? Hollings or Morency? Also, I read that Wells severed a tendon in his hand?

They bypassed a severe need at OL to tale Morency. I hear Hollings is haivng a strong camp, but Morency should at least be the goalline guy. I owned DD last year and thought that he had "empty" great fantasy numbers. IMO, never has a high-scoring FF player had such little impact on my team.

morency will probably land the role of backup. dd called morency a beast and was surprised how strong he is. i unloaded domanick this yr in fusion. two reasons, i got heap, braylon edwards, and linebacker london fletcher for him, and .......i had premonition that domanick was going down with an injury. just one of those things. i also think that cumar goes down. just hunches. nothing to substantiate it on.

this wasn't the exact article i was talking about, i'll see if i can find it too.

Vernand Morency has already impressed coaches with his attitude and skills.

Standing out as a rookie is often a difficult task, but the running back is not the average first-year player. His transition to the NFL has been easier thanks to the maturity the 25-year-old gained during four seasons playing professional baseball before college.

And it doesn't hurt that the Texans feel like they got a steal when they picked the Oklahoma State player in the third-round of this year's draft.

Morency spent time as an outfielder in the Colorado Rockies minor league organization after being drafted in the 14th round of the Major League draft out of high school. But that did nothing to temper the excitement he feels to be in the NFL. That excitement undoubtedly plays a role in his work ethic.

"Anytime I get a chance to put my uniform on I'm going to go all out," he said. "It's an honor and a privilege to be wearing the uniform."

In less than a week of training camp, Morency has broken more than a few big runs in drills. After a particularly good run, where he eluded at least three would-be tacklers to dash to the end zone, coaches patted him on the back and players yelled words of encouragement.

"He's done an excellent job," said coach Dom Capers. "The thing I like about him is that he lines up and competes. He's got really good vision. He can plant his foot and make the cut inside."

Morency carried 250 times for 1,454 yards and 12 touchdowns despite missing a game with a knee injury last season. He ran for more than 200 yards in three games and more than 100 in each of the first seven.

His stock fell in the draft mainly due to concerns over his age and that he started only one season for the Cowboys.

He signed a three-year contract two days before camp, but still practices like a man with a lot to prove.

"With me you get a guy that works hard everyday and wants to learn and wants to help everybody around him get better," he said. "I just want to make plays and just be a constant competitor and winner."

Domanick Davis has the starting position locked down after rushing for more than 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons. But Capers has been impressed with the work of Morency, third-year player Tony Hollings and Jonathan Wells.

"Morency seems to be picking things up quite well," Capers said. "It will be fun to watch our running backs as we go through the preseason. We have a lot of competition going on."

Davis has already noticed what Morency is capable of.

"He can make a guy miss and he has some power," Davis said. "You can see he has a whole lot of talent. He's strong and he's nifty. He can make some good moves. So it's great to have him."

Despite all the positive reviews, Morency said he's got a long way to go.

"I want to improve my entire game," he said. "I'm not where I want to be at right now. But really I don't think I'll ever be where I want to be at. I just want to continue improving every single day."

like msaint said, i would imagine he lands the short yardage looks. interesting that he dropped in the draft due to only playing 1 yr of college ball after being drafted by the rockies. his age is also of concern but i think it helps him. it may hinder him in 3-5 yrs, not now though.

I think I raised a few eyebrows in DW2 by trading DD and Wells for Ahman Green, Poop, and Fisher, being that I am an admitted diehard Texan fan. But I dont think DD is durable enough to be a great full-time RB. Like msaint said, his numbers looked great at a glance, but if you were a DD owner last year or watched the Texans game, you would know that they were a little misleading. IMO, Morency will slightly edge Hollings out for the #2 job and will eventually either subplant DD or make it a true RRBC, with them being interchangable. Wells will be playing more of a fullback type role this year, but will also see some time as a backup HB.

Aug 14

The Broncos stopped Davis four times from the goal line in Houston's preseason loss to Denver on Saturday.

Recommendation: The Texans were experimenting with their new goal-line formation, which featured defensive end Robaire Smith lining up at full back. This is new to Smith, so there will be some learning curve. Head coach Dom Capers will continue to work out Smith in short-yardage situations.

I didn't forget how he ended the season with 9 straight games with at least 1 TD. :D

Is it me or are there any other DD owners who are feeling a little less confident about him after his four attempts from the one without scoring.  :doah:

928101[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I'm going to cut him in my keeper league based on a few plays in pre-season.

Not really, but alot of "experts" have overvalued him by ranking him in the top 10 of RBs. He is what he is and this is a reality check for all those who drafted him right after LT, Priest, Shaun A. and Edge.

Not to mention at some point this season he will miss starts. I think the new contract locks up his starting job but one long injury or new head coach and thats over.

I'd think that the entirety of last season would be a better comparison than one series in the first preseason game would be. Davis' value is not so much TDs anyway but his yardage - particularly with the passing yards and receptions

DMD thought he was worthy of 1.4 in the Top Gun league.  :D

928738[/snapback]

That's quite a gamble -- and it might pay off, but I don't typically take that kind of risk. Having owned DD for a couple years in my league, I surprised folks by not taking him at 1.7 this year -- taking Deuce instead ... DD is fun to watch, but with the Morency pick and his injury history, investing a 1.7 in him was tooooo rich for my blood. He may end up with huuge numbers -- or not. I'm counting on Deuce to be the foundation of my team and DD just makes me tooo nervous.

DMD thought he was worthy of 1.4 in the Top Gun league.  :D

928738[/snapback]

I was hoping for him at #8 but DMD has already thrown a monkey wrench in my plans. I have a feeling that is going to happen a lot.

Davis' value is not so much TDs anyway but his yardage - particularly with the passing yards and receptions

928760[/snapback]

Agree. That's why his stellar numbers were a little "empty" for me over the full course of the season. We're switching to reception points this year, but last year we didn't have them -- TDs and 100 yard games were the measuring stick, and while he often had nice combined yardage totals, he only had 100-plus yards rushing four times. No doubt, a great final stretch, which helped his numbers, but he was also semi-invisible from time to time (nice receiving totals, again, but only one receiving TD, and his rushing was overall pretty suspect):

09/19 @Detroit, 25 rushes, 78yds, 0 TD

09/26 @Kansas City, 10 rushes, 12yds, 0 TD

10/03 Oakland, Did Not Play

10/10 Minnesota, 14 rushes, 31yds, 1 TD

10/17 @Tennessee, 10 rushes, 25 yds, 0 TD

10/31 Jacksonville, 22 rushes, 56 yds, 0TD

1/21, Green Bay, 21 rushes, 65 yds, 0 TD

Last year, for me anyway, he was a very good #2 RB, but just didn't have the consistency to be a #1, and I wouldn't want him as my #1 this year (even at the ninth overall pick), either, even with the addition of reception points.

People are really dumping on DD, in the last 6 games of the season he scored the second most points in my league, and last year we did not even have reception points, this year we do. I think he is a solid number 4 or 5. Here is my top 10.

(1 point per reception) (1 point for every 10 yds rushing or recieving) TDs = 6pts

1. LT

2. Alexander

3. Edge

4. Domanick

5. Deuce

6. Holmes

7. McGahee

8. Dillion

9. Barber

10. Kevin Jones

People are really dumping on DD, in the last 6 games of the season he scored the second most points in my league, and last year we did not even have reception points, this year we do.  I think he is a solid number 4 or 5. Here is my top 10.

(1 point per reception) (1 point for every 10 yds rushing or recieving) TDs = 6pts

1. LT

2. Alexander

3. Edge

4. Domanick

5. Deuce

6. Holmes

7. McGahee

8. Dillion

9. Barber

10. Kevin Jones

929037[/snapback]

I'll do mine...my league scoring is the same except 2pts per 10 rec. yds for RB's..

1. LT

2. Holmes

3. Alexander

4. Deuce

5. Edge

6. DD

7. K Jones

8. McGahee

9. Dillon

10. Jordan

yea..Jordan...I didn't like anyone else here...It was either him or Rudi...