[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should I allow owners to trade picks offseason?

Agent_Mulder

I would like to get some advice about offseason trading of draft picks for my keeper league. I'm inclined to say no you can't do it for this reason. If owner A has four legit keepers, and can only keep three, why should I allow him to gather extra draft picks from owner B by trading one of his players he never intends to keep? doesn't seem right to me. Seems shady to me, and only likely to benefit a couple owners, not something that seems fair. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thats the whole point of a keeper league!

943574[/snapback]

Exactly.

So you don't think the Dolphins should be allowed to trade Ricky Williams for a draft pick?

Maybe you shouldn't have a keeper league. Too shady :D

See, I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were after we declare keepers, but I just don't like it. I forgot to mention that we don't put players back in the draft or redraft. My feeling is, if we did either this wouldn't even come up. I guess it's a franchise league masking as a keeper league.

See, I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were after we declare keepers, but I just don't like it.  I forgot to mention that we don't put players back in the draft or redraft.  My feeling is, if we did either this wouldn't even come up.  I guess it's a franchise league masking as a keeper league.

943582[/snapback]

I'm confused. 1st you said you keep 3 or 4. Now you keep all of them.

What exactly do you do?

I disagree. We don't allow trades for draft picks until after keeper decisions have been announced. The only way for some franchises to "rebuild" is through the draft. Allowing teams that are stacked to trade players for picks does two things: 1) It takes the best players out of the pool so the weak teams cannot rebuild and 2) it makes the strong teams even stronger by giving them extra draft picks.

Allowing trades after the keepers have been announced levels the playing field and still provides the opportunity to wheel and deal.

We can keep three, what I'm saying is there are no limits as to how long you can keep a player. So when we originally drafted, and you got LT, he's yours forever. Like the guy who has him is ever going to trade him? It's actually not even my league, I'm considering leaving it over this, but now from what I'm hearing on this post, I guess I'm being to tight ass about it.

I traded picks my first year, gave up #1 overall and my 17th rd for #5 overall and a 3rd. That was the year Kordell Stewart busted after his big year.

I think the only problem is a guy giving up his whole draft during the season with no intent of playing next year, so to avoid that, only let them trade at the draft?

Some leagues that I am in, do not allow this. The purpose of a 'xx' amount of keepers versus a dynasty league is to walk a fine line between allowing one team to totally dominate and give some of the weaker teams some kind of chance. While still keeping the dominant team happy.

I can see it both ways. Overall, it seems to be a way around the keeper limit, and I am not a big fan of loopholes.

I'm also kinda concerned by your title "Should I allow...". Don't you think that your league mates would like to have some input on this? Or do you rule this league with an iron fist?

Trading draft picks is all part of the strategy of a keeper league IMO.

If a guy in the league has accumulated 4 or 5 keepers, why not allow him to benefit from it by trading them for picks? It's not like he has a ton of leverage either because he simply cannot keep everyone. Maybe he swaps picks in a couple rounds or something like that.... that's not going to destroy the league, or make the team accumulating teh picks that much better off that everyone else.

You're absolutely right, this went up for a vote and it's pretty even right now, but the guys fighting for it, I think, already have the deal worked out, they just need the rule to pass. I think this argument can go on forever, I do see both sides. I just think the rich get richer with this scenario, and only really benenfits a couple owners, it's not like everyone has a tradeable roster, realistically only two or three owners can do it, and they are already stacked.

You're absolutely right, this went up for a vote and it's pretty even right now, but the guys fighting for it, I think, already have the deal worked out, they just need the rule to pass. 

I hate when people argue for rule changes simply to benefit themselves. Perhaps add the rule for next year instead of this year... it's too close to the season for a rule like this to be changes, everyone can prepare for the rule properly if we wait for next year, blah, blah, blah.

I just think the rich get richer with this scenario, and only really benenfits a couple owners, it's not like everyone has a tradeable roster, realistically only two or three owners can do it, and they are already stacked.

943623[/snapback]

You just have to work harder to be one of the teams that can benefit from this rule :D

We can keep three, what I'm saying is there are no limits as to how long you can keep a player.  So when we originally drafted, and you got LT, he's yours forever.  Like the guy who has him is ever going to trade him?  It's actually not even my league, I'm considering leaving it over this, but now from what I'm hearing on this post, I guess I'm being to tight ass about it.

943601[/snapback]

I think the moral is, if you can't beat them, join them. In my rookie years of a keeper league, some one traded Warner after his monster year for a fourth rounder. I went nutty and said it was B.S. Every one gave me the same advise. Also In my league was the old switching draft slots to get a better advantage as to where your keepers were slotted. i.e., always trying to trade down in the round were your keeper was in. As a "vet" in this league, that's all I do in the off season and let the whining for the rooks. :D

Trading draft picks is one of the best things about good FF. Redraft leagues are for Rosie O'Donnell! :D Even so, I'm an owner in 13 redraft leagues this year......and counting. :D

In my best league, we hammer out player trades that involve draft picks 1 and 2 years out and even make them conditional based upon the performance of the players traded.

There's nothing shady about good owners benefitting from being shrewd. That's kinda the whole point! :D

If a guy in the league has accumulated 4 or 5 keepers, why not allow him to benefit from it by trading them for picks?  It's not like he has a ton of leverage either because he simply cannot keep everyone.  Maybe he swaps picks in a couple rounds or something like that.... that's not going to destroy the league, or make the team accumulating teh picks that much better off that everyone else.

943620[/snapback]

Let's assume I won my league's championship last year with a roster that included Priest Holmes, Kevin Jones and Julius Jones and Peyton Manning. Very possible. I can only keep three players, so I trade Julius Jones to the seventh place team for his third-round draft pick. This move causes a ripple effect.

1. The team with the worst record last year, can no longer select Julius Jones (who was clearly going to be the best available player).

2. Now that team has to select the next player down the list, say JJ Arrington.

3. Onto the next pick the team with the second worst record would've had Arrington, now he has to move down his list to Chris Brown. And so on.

The team that traded Jones got value (a draft pick) for a player that had no value to him (Jones) because he couldn't keep that player. If three trades are made like this, it changes the landscape of the draft. And it absolutely breaks the backs of the poorer teams.

I see the point about "I amassed all these talented players, I should be able to get value from them." I've been there. However, to me it takes away from the parity of the league. Just a different philosophy.

Let's assume I won my league's championship last year with a roster that included Priest Holmes, Kevin Jones and Julius Jones and Peyton Manning. Very possible. I can only keep three players, so I trade Julius Jones to the seventh place team for his third-round draft pick. This move causes a ripple effect.

1. The team with the worst record last year, can no longer select Julius Jones (who was clearly going to be the best available player).

2. Now that team has to select the next player down the list, say JJ Arrington.

3. Onto the next pick the team with the second worst record would've had Arrington, now he has to move down his list to Chris Brown. And so on.

The team that traded Jones got value (a draft pick) for a player that had no value to him (Jones) because he couldn't keep that player. If three trades are made like this, it changes the landscape of the draft. And it absolutely breaks the backs of the poorer teams.

I see the point about "I amassed all these talented players, I should be able to get value from them." I've been there. However, to me it takes away from the parity of the league. Just a different philosophy.

943659[/snapback]

The worst placed team could have offered a second rounder for Julius Jones. All part of th estrategy.

I just learned that two of the owners most advocating this ALREADY have deals in place. I can live with trading draft picks, but not by instituting a rule 1 week before the draft when it only benefits those who already have deals worked out. This kind of thing has to be laid out in well in advance to be fair. Thanks for all the feedback guys, and good luck this year!

I think this situation is pretty simple. If there are rules in place that prevent this type of trade, then it should only be allowed if the rule is changed according to the system your league-mates have ratified. If not, then the trade can't happen.

Let the by-laws be the judge, and require a 2/3 majority to change the by-laws. Nobody can complain then.

I don't understand a keeper league where there's no trading of draft picks... ESPECIALLY in a league where the keepers are lifers. It seems like it would be even harder to grab the good players in that situation, so they might have some real value in draft picks to a team with lesser choices. Yes, the system benefits the teams that did well, but I don't particularly see anything wrong with that. There was a 'year 1' at some point in this league... and somebody got the terrific draft spot to get LT or Peyton or whatever... and then they get them 'forever'... how is that any more fair? The reality is there's always a viewpoint that can skew things as unfair. I think a free market system in a keeper league is the way to go. Allow owners to gamble their draft picks if they want imo...

Edited by BrooklynCrew