[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Lewis bone spur

Glabra

Makes perfect sense - McCalister had been the franchise player the past couple of years and the team just signed him to a pretty big contract.  Franchise status is open and Jamal is the perfect candidate.

952070[/snapback]

why worry about the designation now? Why would that effect whether or not he plays in a pre-season game?

We need the Baltimore homers to pay close attention to this situation for us, please!!! Report back what you are hearing locally. Do you guys think this "spur " thing is a legimate concern at this point?

They are not making a big deal of the "spur" here.  I think that the Ravens just want to get him as close to 100% as possible to start the season.  Jamal is a beast and won't let this affect him.

952679[/snapback]

Thanks Trots! We need you guys to keep us posted if you hear anything on this...

I hope Jamal is healthy for the opener, but I just picked up Chester Taylor for some insurance.

953845[/snapback]

That's a Great Idea! People could start picking up the backups to their stud players, just in case they get hurt or don't play! They should call it something catchy, like a "handcuff"! Brilliant! :D:D

Edited by Bonehand

Posted on baltimoresun.com:

[Coach Brian] Billick said running back Jamal Lewis and linebacker Peter Boulware would be worked particularly hard in practices heading into Thursday's preseason finale against Washington. The status of that pair, and tight end Todd Heap, was uncertain.

"I think I'm doing pretty good," the recently re-signed Boulware said. "It's been a while, so it'll take some time to get back there."

Lewis, who hasn't played this preseason because of right ankle surgery, denied reports that a bone spur in his left foot kept him out against New Orleans.

"It was in the same foot," Lewis said. "It was sort of like a spur, but it was from scar tissue breaking up and from the ankle being tight from not doing a lot of cutting."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...ports-headlines

np.

Coach Billick publishes a weekly diary on the Ravens website. Here is a section from his most recent entry:

The Source: Brian Billick's Weekly Diary

August 29, 2005

Week Five of Training Camp

Last week Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun wrote about Jamal Lewis not playing in the preseason. Preston wrote, "A bone spur isn't the only issue keeping him out. Two team sources have said the Ravens want to designate him as the team's franchise player, and Lewis isn't real happy about it, so he's protesting a little, even though he'll play once the regular season begins." It is unfortunate that I have to address this, but the fact is that this is absolutely and unequivocally untrue. Items written locally then become part of national reporting. Jamal's timeframe for playing, both in the preseason and the regular season opener, is dictated by one thing, and one thing only: Is he physically ready to play? I am always uncomfortable with "unnamed sources" in media accounts. I'm extremely confident that the "two team sources" that Mike Preston attributes this to did not come from ownership, management, the coaches, the trainers or the personnel staff, nor did it come from Jamal or his representation. It is important that our fans know that Jamal is totally committed to this season and reestablishing himself as one of the premier running backs in the NFL. Jamal is too much of a competitor and teammate to withhold services because of financial issues. He wanted and wants to play. We've held him back for health reasons.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=3096

Cool.  I saw Preston's writing else where on Saturday.  Drafted Lewis on Sunday.  Glad to hear Preston was full of BS on Monday.

955553[/snapback]

Preston is a serious hater and will skew his stories towards controversy at every opportunity.

Preston is a serious hater and will skew his stories towards controversy at every opportunity.

955655[/snapback]

Good to know. However, it still sounds like the ankle isn't 100%. Though, Preston may have over-blown the "bone spur" scare.

More from the Baltimore Sun:

According to Lewis, his latest injury is related to the same ankle he had surgically repaired, which contradicts previous reports. He said it's "something like a bone spur, but it's really just from scar tissue."

As to whether he'll play Thursday, he said, "It'll be 50-50. Really, I'm just going to take it day-by-day, starting with today. Like we said, if I don't feel comfortable going, then I'm not going to go out there. I'd rather just wait for the first game."

I bet he has the ankle scoped during the season to remove the bone spur/scar tissue. The best time to do it would be during the bye week. Usually a scope to remove a scar tissue only takes 2 weeks or so to heal. (really just waiting on the incision to heal)

Edited by ThatDude

I bet he has the ankle scoped during the season to remove the bone spur/scar tissue. The best time to do it would be during the bye week.  Usually a scope to remove a scar tissue only takes 2 weeks or so to heal. (really just waiting on the incision to heal)

956279[/snapback]

His bye is week 3.

I bet he has the ankle scoped during the season to remove the bone spur/scar tissue. The best time to do it would be during the bye week.  Usually a scope to remove a scar tissue only takes 2 weeks or so to heal. (really just waiting on the incision to heal)

956279[/snapback]

If that is the case, why would he not have gotten it done in the last few weeks while he sits around and watches his teammates play?

Updates from locals?

960195[/snapback]

Per Ravens website 8/31:

Jamal Lewis, Todd Heap and Peter Boulware will likely play the entire first quarter. Lewis and Heap will make their first on-field appearance since undergoing offseason surgeries, while Boulware will play for the first time since 2003.

"I'm ready to go. I'm excited. It's been a while since I've been out there," Heap said. "It's time to get going and really get that feeling back and get ready to play."

:D I'll be at the game tomorrow and will update if necessary.

edit to add: per Baltimore Sun:

"The second is that we need to get some good players some playing time: Todd Heap, Jamal Lewis if possible, and Peter Boulware. Finally, we need to get ourselves ready for the opener."

:D I guess it will be the dreaded gametime decision whether Jamal plays or not.

Edited by Trots

As of Wed. night, Jamal is expected to see limited action.

Article from baltimoresun.com:

Before the preseason ends, the Ravens (1-2) want to get the first hits out of the way for two key starters on offense, running back Jamal Lewis and tight end Todd Heap.

Lewis, who sat out last week's game with a bone spur in his right foot, has cut well in practice and has shown good bursts of speed. He is scheduled for eight to 10 plays and approximately four carries.

"Right now, it's just a matter of working through the pain," Billick said. "The way he came back from Monday's practice - the pop and the speed he had - was very good."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...ports-headlines