[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ahman Green: Packers homers...

msaint

3.6 yds per carry. Zero TDs. 47 rushes/170 yards in three games. Longest run 13 yards. :D

Not that I expected big things out of him this year, but I figured he might be a decent #2 RB (didn't draft him...just my opinion on him). But based on these horrific numbers and how erratic the GB offense has looked, is Green officially washed up?

I'm no Packer homer, God forbid. My full set of teeth, expansive vocabulary, and enormous Johnson should be dead giveaways for that. However, I have had the pleasure of witnessing all three of the delicious, delicious losses that the Pack has suffered this year (plus I own Ahman in one league).

The problem isn't Ahman. The O-line is terrible, as is the defense. These things combine to give you fewer running opportunities and poorer running opportunities; not a good combination. Davenport hasn't looked any better to me, and I don't he'll start getting carries to help build for the future, as I don't think Sherman is in a "rebuilding" mindset; he's too much on the hot seat for that.

After these first three games, I'm not excited to have Green as my #2 RB. However, I wouldn't pick up Davenport, either.

I'm no Packer homer, God forbid.  My full set of teeth, expansive vocabulary, and enormous Johnson should be dead giveaways for that.  However, I have had the pleasure of witnessing all three of the delicious, delicious losses that the Pack has suffered this year (plus I own Ahman in one league).

The problem isn't Ahman.  The O-line is terrible, as is the defense.  These things combine to give you fewer running opportunities and poorer running opportunities; not a good combination.  Davenport hasn't looked any better to me, and I don't he'll start getting carries to help build for the future, as I don't think Sherman is in a "rebuilding" mindset; he's too much on the hot seat for that.

After these first three games, I'm not excited to have Green as my #2 RB.  However, I wouldn't pick up Davenport, either.

1027063[/snapback]

Ditto...I dumped Ahman at the beginning of the season for just those reasons in Fusion. Combine that with his age and Davenport nipping at his heels & the future doesn't look good for him.

I agree; the key is that Ahman's just not getting opportunities to run. It doesn't help that he's not able to do much with the opportunities that he's given, but if he were getting the ball 25 or 30 times a game, he's probably be a fairly decent RB2.

As an Ahman owner from last year, I refused to touch him with a ten-foot-pole this year, because it didn't (and doesn't) look like GB did anything to fix the problems they had last year in the defense. So the Packers go down early, and then Favre inevitably goes pass-wacky; if Ahman doesn't do something with his first couple of posessions, he's pretty much done for the game. I saw it over and over again last year, and it actually seems to be worse this year.

I feel bad for Ahman, honestly, because I think he's a decent RB in a bad situation. If he just got out of Green Bay, he'd probably see a significant improvement...

he hasnt gotten over 20 carries ONCE this yr

the oline SUCKS

he isnt so old 28ish and doesnt have a lot of tread gone from the tires

go back and ck the stats to see how the pack performs when he gets 20+ touches a game and see how his numbers look

fwiw AGreen owner but i have Rudi/Jordan in front of him and start all 3

he hasnt gotten over 20 carries ONCE this yr

the oline SUCKS

he isnt so old 28ish and doesnt have a lot of tread gone from the tires

go back and ck the stats to see how the pack performs when he gets 20+ touches a game and see how his numbers look

fwiw AGreen owner but i have Rudi/Jordan in front of him and start all 3

1027095[/snapback]

Packer homer here, and I can tell you that he does have a lot of tread gone from the tires... Look at how many times he's touched the ball over the last four seasons... He might as well be 32 years old. The O line isnt as bad as advertised, and the defense has been a lot better than expected. The biggest problem is the offensive play calling, anyone who has actually watched the games would have mentioned this, but everyone would rather just pretend to have watched the games just to give their "expert opinion". Beyond that, Green hasnt made any moves or done anything to help himself out when he does get his opportunities...

I'm no Packer homer, God forbid.  My full set of teeth, expansive vocabulary, and enormous Johnson should be dead giveaways for that.  However, I have had the pleasure of witnessing all three of the delicious,

1027063[/snapback]

Actually, it's the limp-wristed, smarmy French-accented, homosexual thing that makes it clear you're not a Packers fan.

I don't think it's Ahman's problem at all. In a 1 pt game, we run the ball with him 19 times. Tampa runs their back 37 times. Which team won the game? It's the same old Sherman-Rossley sh*t play calling. In GB, if we are EVER down by 7 pts at any point, we completely abandon the run.

Also, Ahman isn't getting the screens and passes he used to.

Packer homer here, and I can tell you that he does have a lot of tread gone from the tires... Look at how many times he's touched the ball over the last four seasons...  He might as well be 32 years old.  The O line isnt as bad as advertised, and the defense has been a lot better than expected.  The biggest problem is the offensive play calling, anyone who has actually watched the games would have mentioned this, but everyone would rather just pretend to have watched the games just to give their "expert opinion".  Beyond that, Green hasnt made any moves or done anything to help himself out when he does get his opportunities...

1027444[/snapback]

I'd probably say this post is the most accurate of the ones in this thread. O-line's not AS bad as people think and the play-calling has left plenty to be desired. However, I have noticed that Ahman hasn't had the same burst as he did at, say, the beginning of last year. In years past, Ahman would flash through the hole in an instant and then, since defenders would be a half-step behind, he'd run through a bunch of arm tackles and end up putting a shoulder on a DB before going down (or taking it to the house). His burst was probably his biggest asset, so if it's gone, he won't be nearly as successful.

Still, the offense has sucked overall, which kills any RB's stats. The main reason for the poor offense is tough to pinpoint, but play-calling is definitely a factor.

1027601[/snapback]

This has surprised me, considering that Walker is gone for the year and Bubba is hurting. I think the Packers need to get Green more involved in the passing game, as they did a few years ago.

I don't think it's Ahman's problem at all.  In a 1 pt game, we run the ball with him 19 times.  Tampa runs their back 37 times.  Which team won the game?  It's the same old Sherman-Rossley sh*t play calling.  In GB, if we are EVER down by 7 pts at any point, we completely abandon the run.

1027601[/snapback]

What's that old saying? Three things can happen on a pass play, and only one of them is good...

I heard a good analysis on the radio about the whole screen pass issue.Definitely used to be one of the Packs biggest weapons and with the departure of the two guards from last year,they just can't run it like they used to.Those two guards had over 8,000 offensive snaps together.That type of timing and precision is not going to happen quickly,probably not even this season.