[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anybody collect sports cards

Mark5

Off and On for about 8 years here and I'm over 40.. Collected alot of Marino cards and older 70's Dolphin cards and others from the 70's that I respected as players.

What I'm getting at is I bought some of the 2005 Topps Chrome football and pulled 2 nice Cedric Benson rookie cards-- the incased one numbered to 399 and the black bordered numbered to 100.. checked EBAY and the regular Cadillac card is selling for 10x more than the short printed card of the holdout and can't pick up the blitz star RB from Texas!!!! Kinda of "what have you done lately" scenerio.. When I saw the Benson card in his Bears UNI I had flashbacks of Curtis Enis..LOL.. :D .. If any collect cards you know the autograph craze and the illegible handwriting they sign with.. Aaron Rodgers-QB-Green Bay.. alls you could read was the A and the R.. That just doesn't cut it for me.. GEEEZ. I know I'm babbling but if you got some what was your favorite card.. not moneywise but personal favorite.. My favorite is the Marino SPX hologram where he looks like his eyes are following you.. :D

Off and On for about 8 years here and I'm over 40.. Collected alot of Marino cards and older 70's Dolphin cards and others from the 70's that I respected as players.

What I'm getting at is I bought some of the 2005 Topps Chrome football and pulled 2 nice Cedric Benson rookie cards-- the incased one numbered to 399 and the black bordered numbered to 100.. checked EBAY and the regular Cadillac card is selling for 10x more than the short printed card of the holdout and can't pick up the blitz star RB from Texas!!!! Kinda of "what have you done lately" scenerio.. When I saw the Benson card in his Bears UNI I had flashbacks of Curtis Enis..LOL..  :D .. If any collect cards you know the autograph craze and the illegible handwriting they sign with.. Aaron Rodgers-QB-Green Bay.. alls you could read was the A and the R.. That just doesn't cut it for me.. GEEEZ. I know I'm babbling but if you got some what was your favorite card.. not moneywise but personal favorite.. My favorite is the Marino SPX hologram where he looks like his eyes are following you.. :D

1029794[/snapback]

:D

I wouldnt go to crazy with cards theses days. Especially with so many companies printing them these days. The only ones that are really worth the price are ones that are graded as "Gem 10". The rest are worth only a fraction of their top value. The % of cards getting that grade is about 1/3 of 1% or roughly 3 in every 10,000. Not good odds lol The dropoff in value to a 9 is about 90% and considering that the average card fresh out of the box starts at a grade of 7-8 I would only buy cards now for the fun of it and not as an investment.

Good luck with it

I collect vintage baseball cards.

Right now, I'm in the middle of putting together a 1953 Topps set... These are some BEAUTIFUL cards.

PS - graded cards are ruining our hobby...I'd rather trust my own eyes than someone elses to determine value.

Edited by muck

Right now, I'm in the middle of putting together a 1953 Topps set...  These are some BEAUTIFUL cards.

PS - graded cards are ruining our hobby...I'd rather trust my own eyes than someone elses to determine value.

1030330[/snapback]

I hear you there but its the dealers too that you have to watch out for. Before I sent a few of my cards to PSA a local dealer looked at them and said 6,6,7,& 7....PSA came back with 9,8,8,7. Needless to say that was the last time I spent any money in his store

I collect select cards only of which are graded by BGS or PSA and are numbered. I have locked showcases to display them. If your collecting cards or buying, and you open something potentially valuable, i advise not to touch the card and put in a card case right away to be shipped to BGS.

I ended up getting a few Lebron #'d to 25 graded BGS 9.5 that are worth well over $4000 each. I bought them at a card show for $1500-$2000 them sent them off to be graded they came back nearly mint so the value more than doubled.

Right now, I'm in the middle of putting together a 1953 Topps set...  These are some BEAUTIFUL cards.

1030330[/snapback]

:D

I have a card collection from when i was younger some noteable cards:

Ozzie Smith Rookie

Eckersley Rookie

Cal Ripken Rookie

Bonds Rookies

1985 Traded Set

Mattingly Rookies

Clemens Rookies

Boggs Rookies

Barkley Rookie

Sanders Rookies

ESmith Rookies

I have a ton more cards but they are some of my favs...I plan on just keeping them and giving them to my grandson/daughter some day...of course we need to have kids 1st but that will come too

The Joe Montana RC is worth i believe almost 200 bucks.  I have two of em.

1030917[/snapback]

Topps

1971- Bobby Orr (4 of them)

Phil Esposito (4)

Wayne Cashman (4)

Johnny Bucyk (4)

1972- Bobby Orr (3)

Phil Esposito (3)

Dennis Potvin rookie

1972 Thurmon Munson

1969 Roberto Clemente

1969 Ted Williams Manager of Wash Generals

1976 Nolan Ryan

1984 Gretzky

Just to name few. Many many more from the 70s.

Edited by fballfreak

I used to collect as well...now they are tucked away in a case for my 5 year old.

It used to be simple, somewhere people got caught up with "limited edition", subsets of subsets, specialty cards, grading...etc.

Where are the days of the old wax packs of topps cards with that stale old gum slab? :D

Nowadays I see packs of 4 or 5 cards, 3/4 of an inch thick selling for $8-20 a pack. And if you're REALLY lucky you may get, just maybe, a limited edition super-rare one in a million polychromioneutronic card with an ACTUAL game chewed sunflower seed from Derek Jeter.

Oh well i feel old now. :D

My faves that are locked away are a 1951 Ted Wiliams, 1961 Mantle, Walter Payton Rookie and my Don Mattingly rookie.

What I'm getting at is I bought some of the 2005 Topps Chrome football and pulled 2 nice Cedric Benson rookie cards-- the incased one numbered to 399 and the black bordered numbered to 100.. checked EBAY and the regular Cadillac card is selling for 10x more than the short printed card of the holdout and can't pick up the blitz star RB from Texas!!!! Kinda of "what have you done lately" scenerio.. When I saw the Benson card in his Bears UNI I had flashbacks of Curtis Enis..LOL..  :D .. If any collect cards you know the autograph craze and the illegible handwriting they sign with.. Aaron Rodgers-QB-Green Bay.. alls you could read was the A and the R.. That just doesn't cut it for me.. GEEEZ. I know I'm babbling but if you got some what was your favorite card.. not moneywise but personal favorite.. My favorite is the Marino SPX hologram where he looks like his eyes are following you.. :D

1029794[/snapback]

I didn't understand a single word you just said... :D

I sold my "best" card a couple of years ago... A rookie Sandy Koufax...Topps brand... If graded, it probably would have come back an 8 or 9...

Still have dozens of nice Mantle / Williams / Mays / Ford / Clemente / etc... from the 1950s and 1960s... Also have some autographs (including an autographed Ted Williams jersey and an autographed Joe DiMaggio jersey).

PS -- PocketRocket...you're a moron if you don't buy from this guy...he obviously can't judge quality cards! You buy his cards that you like, ship them off to get graded and then sell them back to him for a tidy sum...call it "ignorace arbitrage" if you will... lol ...

Edited by muck

I ended up getting a few Lebron #'d to 25 graded BGS 9.5 that are worth well over $4000 each. I bought them at a card show for $1500-$2000 them sent them off to be graded they came back nearly mint so the value more than doubled.

1030536[/snapback]

Sell em.....I doubt you will get $4k per card....link

Edited by Sores

Sold half my collection on Ebay a couple years ago for $9,995....probably worth $5K tops (kept most of the good stuff)....got positive feedback...what more could you ask!

Edited by Sores

card collecting is crap. i got thousands of cards from the late 80s, early 90s. they really mass-produced cards in those days. i can't sell them at all. no one wants them. It's funny cause I have like 15 Sheffield rookie cards. 5 Randy Johnson rookies. They're not rare at all, I might as well wipe my ass with them!!!