[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anybody collect sports cards

Mark5

I don't actively collect them now, but I have about 30.000 sitting in my closet.....about 80 % baseball, some football, and a few hundred basketball. Unfortunately, I also have a couple of boxes that were damaged by rain/flooding that caused the cards to become "moldy." Some of my favorites would be the Topps baseball cards that were "misprints" (half one player, half another) from the mid 80's.

Money-wise, my favorite is probably Jerry Rice's rookie card.

Edit - This was not what I planned for my 500th post..... I have been active on this site for 3+ years, but not a huge poster, so 500 is a milestone for me, I guess. :D

Edited by Gopher

card collecting is crap.  i got thousands of cards from the late 80s, early 90s.  they really mass-produced cards in those days.  i can't sell them at all.  no one wants them.  It's funny cause I have like 15 Sheffield rookie cards.  5 Randy Johnson rookies.  They're not rare at all, I might as well wipe my ass with them!!!

1032892[/snapback]

Card collecting isn't crap just because the cards you collected are! :D

Never got into collecting them. But my mom and dad used to have a store and she would put aside new boxes of cards and give them to me. I have a bunch of unopened boxes of cards from the early- to late-90s. I've never looked at them closely, probably the same ones that Target now sells for $10 a box in their stores. :D

I used to collect as a kid, mainly football and basketball. Then skybox flooded the market and it's been down hill ever since.

Notables include:

89 Score Football (Barry, Aikman, Thurman Thomas rookies)

Shaquile O'Neal rookie

88 Fleer basketball set

When I forst got into it, it was about the money (so I thought) did pretty good on EBAY and when the grading thing started it ruined the resell value. Since Marino and McGwire retired I just about quit. I will buy some Bowman Chrome baseball and Football just for speculation value. other than that, I just look for vintage cards that I like. I have alot of 63 Topps since it was the year I was born and 1984 since it was the year my daughter was born. and WAY to many worthless cards taking up closet space.. When the jersey card craze started, the card companies went crazy-- pieces of socks, dirt from batters box, pieces of the outfield wall, etc.. just stupid stuff.. and yes, before I started I laughed at the guy who got me involved. Best sell on EBAY was a BAGWELL patch card from his name on his jersey.. $400.. I just didn't understand this, you could buy the WHOLE jersey for like $125!!!

OH WELL, To each his own..

Sell em.....I doubt you will get $4k per card....link

1032762[/snapback]

You won't find these cards on ebay :D

Gold Refractor #7 of 25 produced by Topps

Ultimate Collection Lebron/Anthony signed auto #3 of 25

If you can get these low numbered manufactured cards , your in the money. I have the only BGS 9.5 or better registered.

When I was a youngun, circa '64, we used to 'flip' cards. You would make a pile til someone threw a same color card onto the one on the top of the pile, therefore winning said pile. We never saved them and hardly looked to see who the he!! they were, anyway. :D

I cringe to think how many HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollar's worth of cards that I actually had my little mitts on. :D

I don't collect cards, but comics. I do have Marvels "NFL SuperPro" from 1991. I have the #1 with the Spider-Man cover app., needless to say, even Spidey's app. has not boosted it's value, as it's holding steady at a whopping $2.25 since it's a 9.4 NM condition or better.

Edited by PantherDave

Money-wise, my favorite is probably Jerry Rice's rookie card.

:D

1032960[/snapback]

I must agree, my rookie Jerry Rice card is my favorite. Got a bunch of 80s and 90s fb, and some 60s baseball from when I was a kid (rookie Bench, Seaver...). I put them away for my kids also.

I collect vintage baseball cards.

Right now, I'm in the middle of putting together a 1953 Topps set...  These are some BEAUTIFUL cards.

PS - graded cards are ruining our hobby...I'd rather trust my own eyes than someone elses to determine value.

1030330[/snapback]

Hey muck

i just finished a 53 set about a year ago, worked on it for about 15 years. I also upgraded it over the years and have a few extras. I used to be pretty active on ebay, both buying and selling. Still need to upgrade about 30 cards, but it is a beautiful set.

When I was a youngun, circa '64, we used to 'flip' cards.  You would make a pile til someone threw a same color card onto the one on the top of the pile, therefore winning said pile.  We never saved them and hardly looked to see who the he!! they were, anyway. :D

I cringe to think how many HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollar's worth of cards that I actually had my little mitts on. :D

1035583[/snapback]

i was a youngun about 20 years later than you, but for us, it was putting football cards in our bicycle spokes to make a cool "motorcycle" sound. i think the point when you officially become an adult is when you realize, oh my god, how much money did i throw away making a lame "thwpwpwpwpwpwp" sound? when you're 8, though, that's a cool sound.

Hey muck

i just finished a 53 set about a year ago, worked on it for about 15 years. I also upgraded it over the years and have a few extras. I used to be pretty active on ebay, both buying and selling. Still need to upgrade about 30 cards, but it is a beautiful set.

1036286[/snapback]

PM me your list of extras... I've not done anything on Ebay for probably four or five years...but, also used to be active in vintage cards there...