[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How fair is this?

The Grey Pilgrim

Two teams tied last week in the playoffs. The commish couldn't remember what our tiebreaker was in the playoffs.

So, he proposes that the two teams name another starting team, against their opponent (him), and the two teams should name, in order, their likely highest scoring person. Then the team that scores the highest point as their No. 1 ranked player will win the tie breaker and be his "official opponent". If our "No.1" guys tie, then we will go in order until their is a winner.

Well, my opponent's team drafted Peyton Manning No. 1 in the draft (all TD's are worth 6 points). I was the 13th pick in the first round, and drafted Holt, and came back with Harrison in the 2nd. Manning has scored 190 points so far, and Holt and Harrison have scored about 130 each.

My main point is that it seems unfair to name a tiebreaker that is more likely be won by one team or the other. Manning has outscored any player on my team in 10 of the 15 weeks. How fair is that?

I proposed a coin flip (because it is a 50/50 proposition), but my opponent and the commish think it should be settled on the field.

Anybody's thoughts?

well i dont think that way of tie-breaking things is unreasonable...but the fact of " i cant remember" is what would chafe me.

there isnt mch i can say other than make sure they have the rules written down next year, also you might go to a decimal scoring system for next year.

in our league there were 256 total games played...we had one tie

not much else i can say, except that sucks man

"Can't remember the tie breaker?" :D

Might be time to get a new commish. Or at least buy him a pencil and a piece of paper for Christmas!! :D

Dude, that's a sad one. I came in here ready to rant about "fair" and "you knew the rules when the season started", but I'm not going either place on this one -- you want to yap about this being unfair? GO FOR IT!! You're justified.

Coinflip clearly would have been more equitable. :D

Stupid, all of it. If you don't have written rules covering all this stuff, DO NOT PLAY IN THE LEAGUE!

Tie braekers should be based on team and game performance for THAT GAME.

Number of TDs / Scoring Plays, and even including bench player scenarios.

Stupid, all of it.  If you don't have written rules covering all this stuff,  DO NOT PLAY IN THE LEAGUE!

Tie braekers should be based on team and game performance for THAT GAME.

Number of TDs / Scoring Plays, and even including bench player scenarios.

1233667[/snapback]

If you have a playoff tie, you should add up the bench scoring in that game. If you are still tied, then get a deck of cards and give it to the high card drawer. (coins really do land on tails more often than heads)

I disagree. That tiebreaker is unreasonable and unfair. Why should the 1st pick in the draft have an advantage over the person that picks last in the draft. Assuming that you had no way of drafting Manning, SA, or LT2 since they were picked ahead of your turn. So if those draft studs just so happen to outscore your #1 pick is bs. Those top picks in a draft are intended to score more points than any player that was available when you made your first pick in the draft.

If you have a playoff tie, you should add up the bench scoring in that game.  If you are still tied, then get a deck of cards and give it to the high card drawer.  (coins really do land on tails more often than heads)

1233829[/snapback]

Do not add up the bench scoring!!! God help us. !!!

Two teams tied last week in the playoffs.  The commish couldn't remember what our tiebreaker was in the playoffs. 

So, he proposes that the two teams name another starting team, against their opponent (him), and the two teams should name, in order, their likely highest scoring person.  Then the team that scores the highest point as their No. 1 ranked player will win the tie breaker and be his "official opponent".  If our "No.1" guys tie, then we will go in order until their is a winner.

Well, my opponent's team drafted Peyton Manning No. 1 in the draft (all TD's are worth 6 points).  I was the 13th pick in the first round, and drafted Holt, and came back with Harrison in the 2nd.  Manning has scored 190 points so far, and Holt and Harrison have scored about 130 each.

My main point is that it seems unfair to name a tiebreaker that is more likely be won by one team or the other.  Manning has outscored any player on my team in 10 of the 15 weeks.  How fair is that? 

I proposed a coin flip (because it is a 50/50 proposition), but my opponent and the commish think it should be settled on the field. 

Anybody's thoughts?

1233076[/snapback]

:D Carry it out to tenths of a point.

So 92 yards rushing = 9.2 points and 94 yards rushing = 9.4 points instead of both = 9 points.

Of course, both players would have to agree to this--otherwise, a coin flip.

Edited by skinpig

If it's a tiebreaker for 2 or more team sto make the post season, we default to the NFL rules. Simple.

Even easier, is a tie breaker in heaad-to-head game. Going in, the highest seeded team is designated the "home team". In the case of tie, the home team gets a 1 pt "home field advantage" point. No ties, no complaints.

Your "non-rule cuz nobody remembers it" though, is the strangest, most contrived thing I have ever heard. Doesn't anybody write the league rules down? Even if it's for reference during the season?

Thanks to all for the input. It lets me know I'm not crazy. I have decided not to try and fight the decision of the commish. I recognize that even though it isn't a 50/50 proposition tiebreaker, that anything can happen. And rather than lambast the commish and the other owner, I'll just hope "the right thing happens"

I do have Holt to play, and actually I have Jamie Martin too. I'm not sure which one I'll play. He has Peyton, but apparently he will only play about a half. So maybe a whole game of Holt or Martion can beat a half from Manning.

I'll cross my fingers, anyway.

Thanks again.