[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yet another reason to avoid Week 17 SB

pedroz13

Look at some RB situations this week:

Edge = sitting

Shaun = first half AT THE MOST, more than likely he'll play 1 quarter to try to get that TD.

Some of the best RB matchups this week are guys like F. Gore (vs. Houston), M. Morris (vs GB), J. Jones (vs STL ....where has this guy been all year???), V. Morency (vs. SF), T. Bell/Dayne (vs SD, M. Anderson is of course sitting), and even Dominic Rhodes (vs AZ). Its complete crap having a SB week 17 and anyone who has this in their leagues should change it.

Just my opinion......

We changed from a Week 17 to Week 16 SB in our "12 Man" BOTH league. However, in order to squeeze one more week of FF out of the season, we set Week 17 up as a free-for-all tournament. Most points in Week 17 wins free league dues for next year.

I thought that was a niffty way of dealing with it, as even those who had been eliminated in the playoffs would still have something to play for late in the season. Plus, with so many players limited or sitting, every team has a puncher's chance of winning that prize.

Edited by yo mama

Head to Head leauges a week 16 SB is a must, but and overall points leauge it's got to be 17 weeks, with the waiver wire open all year, so you can plug line-ups in to steal the money, as my Super Six leauge- $250 entry fee-winner take all is set up this way, and going into this weekend it could be 1 of 4 teams taking the $. It is truly one of the funniest leauges I play in-Peace PD.

We changed from a Week 17 to Week 16 SB in our "12 Man" BOTH league.  However, in order to squeeze one more week of FF out of the season, we set Week 17 up as a free-for-all tournament.  Most points in Week 17 wins free league dues for next year. 

1242080[/snapback]

My leagues superbowl ends week 16...but I like that idea. :D

we play 17 weeks and this is the only time in the past 4years it really making a deferance but next year might be different

1242088[/snapback]

Shanahan rested the entire starting lineup two years ago week 17....some very valuable players (Sharpe, Portis, R. Smith, Plummer). Philly rested McNabb, Westbrook last year week 17. Happens just about every year.

Our league gives out the big money and engraves your name on our crystal cup for the regular season championship, which is awarded to the team with the best record after week 14.

We then play a tournament on weeks 15,16, and 17 where everyone is entered and first and second place pay a little, but not a lot.

Our feeling is that it sucks to roll through the regular season going say 11-2, then lose out on the money because of some stupid dumb luck head-to-head loss in week 15 to the #8 seed whose only good player is Cooley. The league is head-to-head, but the champion is determined by the best record over the season through 14 weeks.

To further downplay the luck factor, we actually play double-headers each week. This eliminates the brutal situation of being that week's second-highest scorer and taking a loss because you played number one. In a double-header league, at least you salvage a split.

The tournament keeps everyone honest and prevents collusion, because the Scrote Bowl (as we call it) winner makes enough to pay next year's league fees, which are $100.

We've been doing this since 1993, and have slowly modified ourleague to this, and it works really well. The best team over the season wins the money. (By the way, this year we still had four teams with a shot at first place going in to week 14.)

Works for us. :D

We have a split pot, Head to Head runs 13 regular season weeks- week 14 two division winners have a bye and the 4 Wildcards sqaure off- week 15 semis, wek 16 Super Bowl.

Winner nets 40% of the pot, 2nd place nets 10%

We then also go total pionts week 1 through 17 with a 40/10 split there as well.

Edited by Marauders11

Look at some RB situations this week:

Edge = sitting

Shaun = first half AT THE MOST, more than likely he'll play 1 quarter to try to get that TD.

Some of the best RB matchups this week are guys like F. Gore (vs. Houston), M. Morris (vs GB), J. Jones (vs STL ....where has this guy been all year???), V. Morency (vs. SF), T. Bell/Dayne (vs SD, M. Anderson is of course sitting), and even Dominic Rhodes (vs AZ).  Its complete crap having a SB week 17 and anyone who has this in their leagues should change it. 

Just my opinion......

1242059[/snapback]

Agreed.

Week 16 was no picnic either. :D

I never could understand why playoffs are used in ff. Why have garbage weeks determine championships? It makes no sense. A stiff like Coles can win a championship with one good (lucky) game in week 16.

However, if you treat it the same as all the other weeks (no playoff), it works fine. Increase the weekly payout a little to keep the also-rans interested.

Just my opinion. ::D

Our feeling is that it sucks to roll through the regular season going say 11-2, then lose out on the money because of some stupid dumb luck head-to-head loss in week 15 to the #8 seed whose only good player is Cooley.

1242096[/snapback]

I know what you mean, but I think SB should be rewarded the most. In the NFL, regular season really doesn't mean sh**. I mean, once you are in the playoffs its anybody's for the taking, thats what FF playoffs are about as well. Reg. season has some luck involved as well in FF, for instance I went 10-4 but easily could have (probably should have) gone 8-6, I made some terrible lineup decisions a couple weeks but was lucky enough to play teams that had very low scoring weeks. I think reg. season should get maybe 30% and SB should get 70% personally, but I do see what you mean about reg. season and what it means compared to winning a one week head to head SB.

and those are just the RBs you mentioned...

Brady?

Palmer?

Plummer?

Hasselbeck?

Manning?

Brees?

Why draft a Peyton Manning in the first when you'll be starting Jim Sorgi in week 17? Seems almost any QB can get you here (all things considered)....

With pre-draft research, waiver wire moves, trades, news/injury searching, and matchup analyzing, etc, making the playoffs isn't easy. This takes a bit of work. Yeah, you might win some low-scoring games depending on who you face, but that's how it is. If the Redskins only score 20 and win, but the Bengals score 40 and lose, that's just how it is... Personally, after 5 years, I just won my first "Super Bowl," and it feels great. Lots of hard work paid off, not just for a nice record, but for a "Championship." My team "hung together" and move I made in week 3, panned out in Week 16. It's all part of the game. That's what the NFL players play for, it's what we play for. To reward the good season, though, and keep that 8 seed from getting lucky, only the top 4 teams from our 12 team league make the playoffs (3 divisions, 1 Wild Card...) We split the total yearly dues/fees pot 50% for Place, and 50% for Total Points. Then, of that, it's 60/30/10 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, for each pot. So, i.e., one guy didnt' make the playoffs b/c of some bad games in the middle of the season, but he did get the payout for 2nd in points.

Me and 3 of my buddies from my "big" league are drafting a QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, PK and D for Week 17. Just to make it interesting. $25/each, winner take all. We've done the same for the Wild Card and Divisional weekends for several years, and will again. And then for Championship weekend, we drop it to 1 RB and 2 WRs each. Fun stuff.

I like the idea of adding in total points as part of the payout. We had talked about a total points league, but decided we liked the "smack" involved in head-to-head matchups.

We never considered doing both.

The problem we have had with playoffs determining the big dollars, as I said earlier, is the HUGH luck factor involved in a one-week, head to head game. Also, the fantasy teams that do well through the whole season tend to have a lot of players from NFL playoff teams, and a LOT of them rest key players in the later weeks.

We pay 1st and 2nd regular season, and 1st and 2nd in the Scrote Bowl and no one has ever won both. Every year we pay at least three teams, most of the time, four.

You CAN NOT compare fantasy head-to-head matchups with real NFL ones, because you don't get to game plan and play defense and such. The luck factor of a tournament is TOO important to have the big dollars riding on it, IMO.

Personally, after 5 years, I just won my first "Super Bowl," and it feels great. Lots of hard work paid off, not just for a nice record, but for a "Championship."

And BTW, our league Champ this year was just as proud of his victory as anyone who ever won a Super Bowl in any other league. He will drink the beverage of his choice (usually beer) from our crystal cup with his name etched in it at the Super Bowl Party and mock all of us accordingly. :doah:

We changed from a Week 17 to Week 16 SB in our "12 Man" BOTH league.  However, in order to squeeze one more week of FF out of the season, we set Week 17 up as a free-for-all tournament.  Most points in Week 17 wins free league dues for next year. 

I thought that was a niffty way of dealing with it, as even those who had been eliminated in the playoffs would still have something to play for late in the season.  Plus, with so many players limited or sitting, every team has a puncher's chance of winning that prize.

1242080[/snapback]

One league I commish in has this already for the last 4 or 5 years and it works great. The other one I commish still has SB in wk 17 but we'll probably be changing that for next year. Gotta get away from that Wk 17 BS.