[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Farve

devilwoman

Thanks...thought I had missed it.

1249116[/snapback]

No; reporter speculation(or should I say just a guess?).

He probably won't decide anything for awhile. If Thompson picks a coach from a foreign (not west coast offense) it may force Favre to leave.

Can somebody confirm this for me:

KFAN said if Favre retires, the pack will be 30 million under the cap. Is that true? No wonder they want to push him out the door.

1249272[/snapback]

Can't confirm, but I know the Pack has alot of money to work with and Favre is somewhere in the 10-13 million range for next year, so that sounds pretty accurate.

When Favre said before that if Sherman is gone he's likely to go too, does anyone think that is the exact reason why they tossed Sherman without discussing with Favre first? They can't ever bench Favre so he basically plays until he says he's done and keeps that massive cap hit on the books. Favre retires and they get a bunch of cap room to get a RB and OL and they get to put their #1 pick in Rodgers onto the field. Sitting behind Favre and learning from him is not what a team would want I'm sure. Favre has the heart of a warrior but in no way do I want my future QB learning from Favre's style.

Can somebody confirm this for me:

KFAN said if Favre retires, the pack will be 30 million under the cap. Is that true? No wonder they want to push him out the door.

1249272[/snapback]

Last I saw their cap number only half would be true, but they may mean Favre plus all the potential free agents.

Favre, 36, is due to earn $10 million in salary in 2006 with a salary cap number of $12 million. The three-time MVP quarterback declined to comment after the Packers’ 23-17 win over Seattle on Sunday at Lambeau Field. Earlier in the week he sent mixed messages regarding his future with the team. He said he has never played strictly for the money and that he wouldn’t start now.

Edited by Randall

Also factor in that Sherman is going to get his $$$....

I dunno, I got a bad feeling about this....Ted Thompson has either guts for doing the unthinkable or is an idiot....

I would expect #4 to be in a different colors next year....the question is where...Saints?

When we left the game on Sunday, the report was that Favre was not going to talk to the press following the game but was going to address the media this week...I have not heard anything at all.....

Milwaukee Radio is stating that Thompson will NOT hire anyone who wants to keep / start Favre in 2006.

Edited by kryptonite

I would expect #4 to be in a different colors next year....the question is where...Saints?

Milwaukee Radio is stating that Thompson will NOT hire anyone who  wants to keep / start Favre in 2006.

1249517[/snapback]

The first statement will NEVER happen.

I haven't heard this, what station are you listening too?

WISN....I guess Belling dedicated an hour to Favre and Sherman on Wednesday....my Dad was telling me about it today as I drove to work (chicago)....I guess Belling was on fire that no coach would be hired who supported Favre.....

Scrolled up and down these posts and though I saw one that said something about Farve and a press conference...?  Did it happen...what did he say?

1249097[/snapback]

The source that gave the info about a news conference made a mistake. Yes, there was a news conference, but no it was not Favre's . Ted Thompson called it to talk about his decision to fire Sherman.

Ted Thompson has either guts for doing the unthinkable or is an idiot....

Milwaukee Radio is stating that Thompson will NOT hire anyone who  wants to keep / start Favre in 2006.

1249517[/snapback]

If there is even a shred of truth to this report, I think it is a horrible way to treat a future Hall of Famer who has been the face of the Packers' franchise for the better part of a decade. I know the NFL is a business, but Favre is a god up there. From a public relations perspective, Thompson may fall on his sword if it looks like he is disrespecting Favre and ruthlessly trying to run him out of town. :D

I dunno, I got a bad feeling about this....Ted Thompson has either guts for doing the unthinkable or is an idiot....

When we left the game on Sunday, the report was that Favre was not going to talk to the press following the game but was going to address the media this week...I have not heard anything at all.....

1249517[/snapback]

Everybody else: please disregard Kryptonite's posts entirely. He doesn't know what he is talking about. If he did, he wouldn't keep suggesting that Favre will play for another team in 2006. :D

Krypto: Your last sentence should read, "Some douchebag on Milwaukee radio THINKS Thompson will not hire anyone who wants to keep/start Favre in 2006." Saying that it's a "statement" of some sort implies that it's not just some idiot's opinion. That's like me saying, "The Huddle states that Brett Favre will play for a different team in 2006", when, really, it was just your dumbass giving us your misguided opinion. Get it? :D

Other QBs have left great teams...(Montana - w/ 2 play-off appearances in KC, Stabler left Oakland)

Seriously....why is it unrealistic for Favre to be somewhere else next season? The media thinks he is washed up and talk about him retiring or "someone helping him to retire (Lincoln Kennedy on NFL network, and others on Fox)....Thompson is not a Favre fan (cap alone)....the fans LOVE him...and he still has power in his arm and is healthy....

Just imagine Favre in Arizona or Detroit or Miami or Buffalo or KC....young teams needing a gun-slingger, quality WRs, the guy could be amazing....

Yes, he is a quality guy, should retire in green and gold.

Yes, he might have to learn a new system and gel with a new team.

As stated earlier, the administration has failed him (drafting, salary cap, and free agency), the players were injured, and he carried the team this season.

I just cannot see a man with a drive to win would continue to work where he is not wanted. And that is my opinion. I hope it does not come to this, but IT IS possible....

Swiss: I get it, you bleed green and gold and the idea is boder-line blasphemy, but it is possible....this is a business...he can still play, I was at the Seattle game! Why not go where he can excel with an organization that will support him.....and what I wrote is what the person said, I cannot comment on what the radio guy thinks...only on what he said....if it does not help, fine, but it was SAID....call him what you want, I am just relaying what was heard....

Edited by kryptonite

1249517[/snapback]

Belling is a pompous ass.

Anyway, I get the sense that Thompson is doing what he thinks is best for the long-term health of the organization; I'd be giving Favre the same treatment - "hey, this is what we're going to do; if you want to be a part of it, great. If not, thanks for the memories."

Belling is a pompous ass.

Anyway, I get the sense that Thompson is doing what he thinks is best for the long-term health of the organization; I'd be giving Favre the same treatment - "hey, this is what we're going to do; if you want to be a part of it, great. If not, thanks for the memories."

1255538[/snapback]

Yeah, BUT...I'd still make sure the Packers will be running a WCO next year. If Thompson allows a different offense to be put in place, it's basically a slap in Favre's face. I mean, the WCO is the most common offense in the league, so to deviate from that would seem purposeful, like Thompson is trying to make it difficult for Favre to return.

The reality is that Favre didn't suddenly lose all of his ability in the offseason before 2005. His completion percentage was still among the best in the league and he was able to move the team up and down the field when he wanted to. His interceptions were WAY up, obviously, but I'd have to agree with most analyses on that -- he was trying to do too much with substandard offensive players. So, my point is that Favre still gives the Packers the best chance to win in 2006. I'm sure Thompson knows that. I'm sure he also knows that Favre needs a coach who will keep him under control. Sherman was not that guy.

I too think that Farve will retire rather than going to another team. But you can liken the Milw Farve fans to how St Louis felt about Marshall Faulk. He too was the star of the Rams and in his last season wasnt playing well. He moved on rather than retiring......soooooo anything can happen. Just my 2 cents....one that didnt go to the Post Office...haha

I too think that Farve will retire rather than going to another team.  But you can liken the Milw Farve fans to how St Louis felt about Marshall Faulk.  He too was the star of the Rams and in his last season wasnt playing well.  He moved on rather than retiring......soooooo anything can happen.  Just my 2 cents....one that didnt go to the Post Office...haha

1256401[/snapback]

:D

I too think that Farve will retire rather than going to another team.  But you can liken the Milw Farve fans to how St Louis felt about Marshall Faulk.  He too was the star of the Rams and in his last season wasnt playing well.  He moved on rather than retiring......soooooo anything can happen.  Just my 2 cents....one that didnt go to the Post Office...haha

1256401[/snapback]

Isn't Faulk still with the Rams :D And he was at the top of his game when he left Indy I think.

Don't you mean Emitt Smith and the Cowboys?

Isn't Faulk still with the Rams  :D And he was at the top of his game when he left Indy I think.

Don't you mean Emitt Smith and the Cowboys?

1256430[/snapback]

Ummmm nooo I meant Faulk..... I was trying to be ironic. But I wasnt very clear. Sorry. What I was trying to imply was..... this same conversation happens every year with some team "god"..... he sucks, he should retire, he should move on, he's paid more than he's worth..etc. It was Faulk, now its Farve. Faulk staying healthy was more his issue. Sooo anything can happen. I do think Farve is different in that he wants to be number one or gone. Emmitt Smith another talented Icon, but I dont remember if people wanted Emmitt gone like they are saying Farve should be.

The reality is that Favre didn't suddenly lose all of his ability in the offseason before 2005. His completion percentage was still among the best in the league and he was able to move the team up and down the field when he wanted to. His interceptions were WAY up, obviously, but I'd have to agree with most analyses on that -- he was trying to do too much with substandard offensive players. So, my point is that Favre still gives the Packers the best chance to win in 2006. I'm sure Thompson knows that. I'm sure he also knows that Favre needs a coach who will keep him under control. Sherman was not that guy.

1256392[/snapback]

Can't dispute that; it's funny the standard Favre gets held to - 29 ints is excessive, but I'd like to see how most other QBs fare with the practice squad - I think all but the very best would be fortunate to see anything approaching 63% comp, 3900 yds, and 20 tds.

And IMO one of Sherman's failings was that it appeared that there were no consequences for Favre, and no attempts to rein him in. A big question that was always coming up in the Wisconsin media was how much Sherman, Rossley, and Bevell were REALLY coaching Favre.

A big question that was always coming up in the Wisconsin media was how much Sherman, Rossley, and Bevell were REALLY coaching Favre.

1261188[/snapback]

Yep. I'm of the opinion that Sherman knew in his heart that his the majority of his success depended on the right arm of Favre, so he let him do whatever he wanted. It's not like Sherman knew the offense any more than Favre, anyway. Holmgren was Favre's first TEACHER, so Holmgren got Favre's respect. By the time Sherman got the reins, I'm sure Sherman felt the same way that most of the offensive players did -- he and Favre were equals.

Of course, give any HoF QB total freedom in his offense and he'll take it. Luckily, I think Favre is willing to adapt, as long as the new coach can convince him it will lead to more Ws.

I have no idea how the McCarthy hiring will impact the team.