[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Dungy hanged himself

CaptainHook

James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, hanged himself with a belt from a ceiling fan, according to the 911 call made by the teenager’s girlfriend from his Tampa, Fla., apartment in the early morning hours of Dec. 22.

Antoinette Anderson took a 10-minute walk and returned to the apartment to find Dungy appearing lifeless, according to the tape released by authorities Wednesday. The tape is the first public explanation for how Dungy apparently killed himself. It also revealed that Dungy’s roommate was in the apartment, sleeping in a different room, when Dungy was discovered by Anderson.

Tony Dungy declined to comment through a team spokesman at the Colts complex. His team completed its last workout of the week on Thursday morning. Players were given the playoff bye weekend off.

Anderson told the emergency dispatcher that she thought James Dungy was dead, and that she had used a knife to cut him down. “I think he tried to hang himself or something,” she said.

The dispatcher instructed her to wake up the roommate, whose name wasn’t released, and tried to walk them through a CPR procedure.

“Force two deep breaths of air into the lungs just like you’re blowing up a big balloon,” the dispatcher said. “Did you do that?”

“Yes,” Anderson said. “I just don’t think he’s alive.”

“Did you feel air going in?” the dispatcher asked.

Anderson said, “No. No.”

A Hillsborough County sheriff’s deputy soon arrived and took over the CPR. A paramedic crew took Dungy to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The medical examiner has called the death an apparent suicide. An exact cause has not been released pending results of toxicological tests that should be ready in about a month.

On. Oct. 21, James Dungy was treated after overdosing on painkillers. Then, he calmly told a 911 dispatcher he "was just being stupid" and had taken about 18 pills. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.

James Dungy had moved back to the Tampa area from Indianapolis last year to attend college. His father had coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1996 to 2001.

Tony Dungy missed one game after his son's death, returning to the Colts' sideline last Sunday. The Colts, the top seed in the AFC, open the playoffs Jan. 15 in Indianapolis.

link

Wow...seems pretty strange.  He and the girlfriend must have been in a fight or something...she leaves for 10 minutes and he hangs himself?  Pretty weird.

1250246[/snapback]

:D this actually sounds like it fits the bill. Obviously the kid grew up around football, his dad is on his way to the superbowl (most likely anyway). that would be a big deal to any son, even one who could be having problems and differences with his family (aka dad). there were alot of good things going on. I dont think he was manically depressed or anything...i think it was a spur of the moment..heat of the battle type thing..makes perfect sense. how sad and tragic.

It is sad and i wish reporters would respect him and stop digging.

1250315[/snapback]

I agree. Exactly what I was trying to say. They will just hurt the Dungy family by digging more and more...

And here I thought they were going to leave us hanging on the method of his demise ...

1250329[/snapback]

Don't think I find this pun very funny... :D

Sorry.

Is it hanged or hung himself? I know it's irrelevant but I thought the correct term was hung.

I disagree about it being a spur of the moment thing, I mean obviously it was but I think it's something he's considered in the past especially since he had a pill incident recently.

Prayers still going out to the Dungy family.

This should have been kept personal. Must hurt them for the world to know this.

1250202[/snapback]

:D

I agree....as just having a best friend do something similar recently for Dungy to be functioning as a coach is amazing.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.....if the Pats don't make it I really want the Colts to go. :D Did I just say that?

Too bad I wasn't the one who installed the fan. :D

1250315[/snapback]

I was actually thinking the same thing. The last 2 fans I hung up barely supported their own weight.

With this article closure should be brought to the whole ordeal, at least from the public perspective. The funeral has happened. Tony has returned to work. Fans supported him and the team "won the game for James". I think the whole thing will now fade away in the memory books for most people now, possibly with a small resurgance if the Colts win the SB.

I was actually thinking the same thing.  The last 2 fans I hung up barely supported their own weight.

With this article closure should be brought to the whole ordeal, at least from the public perspective.  The funeral has happened.  Tony has returned to work.  Fans supported him and the team "won the game for James".  I think the whole thing will now fade away in the memory books for most people now, possibly with a small resurgance if the Colts win the SB.

1250629[/snapback]

The one in my bedroom fell on me last year. I knew it was a bit loose and was attempting to go up and fix it, next thing I knew it was coming down right on me; luckily I essentially caught it with my hands and head and was not hurt.

There is a debate still today as to who installed that ceiling fan, me or my father in law. I still think it was his goofy ass.

Is it hanged or hung himself?  I know it's irrelevant but I thought the correct term was hung.

I disagree about it being a spur of the moment thing, I mean obviously it was but I think it's something he's considered in the past especially since he had a pill incident recently.

1250605[/snapback]

Hanged.

Do you think he was trying to kill himself? I have heard of people accidently killing themselves because they were whacking off while temporarily asphixiating themselves. Not sure how or why it works, but apparently somehow hanging yourself while masturbating is some sort of thrill. I dont know much about it but I read about it somewhere...