[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

a TIE for COMEBACK POY?

BigMikeinNY

So many haters on this board.  The irony is that it's hasn't been the Pats homers or players but the national media who has blown Tedy's return way out or proportion.

Most of which is located on the east coast :D

You can judge/dismiss/mock him all you want.  Bottom line, I want the guy on my team.  He may be more valuable to the Pats D than any other player is for his respective defense in the league in terms of leadership and communication.

We all know he's a great player, but he's not GOD :D

BTW - I'm sure he doesn't give a crap about this "honor."  The only thing he's focused on is winning another superbowl.  And that's the way we like it.

He better be focused, really focused

1250567[/snapback]

You can judge/dismiss/mock him all you want.  Bottom line, I want the guy on my team.  He may be more valuable to the Pats D than any other player is for his respective defense in the league in terms of leadership and communication.

We all know he's a great player, but he's not GOD 

Really?

A tie?!? What crap!

Steve Smith had an MVP type year.

Tedy's recovery was a good story and got PLENTY of hype.

To make Smith share is just plain wrong.

I already think the PATSIES get way too much coverage, hype, and credit.

This is just solidifying an already present dislike for that east coast team.

Maybe the JAGS knock them off so we won't have to hear ANYMORE!!!  :D

1250537[/snapback]

Hey they are the best...it's like when the 'Boys were the team. Only dif is there's probably more coverage due to more media outlets and on line places to get info and discuss.

Do I think Smith and Bruschi had COY years? Yes but for different reasons. I do think that Smith should have taken the prize himself though, he had an amazing year. Bruschi and Harrision are the heart and soul of the D (along with Seymour) so getting Teddy back was a big deal, especially after all he went through.

The Pats deserve all the attention and credit they get:

1. won 3 out of last 4 superbowls in a tough cap management and FA era

2. Great owner who turned team around and is loved by players and peers alike for what he's done and all that he does for community.

3. Great coaches who have instilled a winning attitude and system that other teams try to follow.

4. They are the defending Champs.

Most of the attention is not from players or fans singing their praises up and down its from the national media. So don't blame the Pats or Bruschi for the award.

Oh and just to add fuel to the fire :D

"Also, linebacker Tedy Bruschi was named the Patriots' recipient of the 2005 Ed Block Courage Award. One winner from each team will be honored at the 28th annual Ed Block Courage Awards on Tuesday, March 7 in Baltimore.

Recipients were selected by their teammates for displaying commitments to the principles of courage and sportsmanship, while serving as inspirations in the locker room."

Can Saturday get here any quicker.... :D

Edited by nhoops

I think there's at least an argument as to which of these guys should get the award, and the voting reflected that. I don't think you can just look at the stats for this award. If a guy had awesome stats, vote him to the Pro Bowl or MVP.

You have to look at what they overcame and what they came back to do. Obviously Smith had an awesome year, but he doesn't necessarily fit the mold of "comeback", as mentioned earlier. People break legs all the time and come back from that--that's probably why a lot of writers didn't vote for him. With a player like Bruschi, his contributions don't really show up just on the stat sheet. You have to look at how they did without him and how they did with him to see what a difference he makes.

I don't buy the East Coast bias. The Cowboys, the Packers, the 49ers, all had their day in the sun and I for one got sick of hearing about them. I'm sure the voters were scattered all around the country. Do the Pats get hype and did Bruschi benefit from that? Sure. But it's not every day that an NFL player has a stroke and I think that contributed more to this story getting attention than the fact that the Pats won three Super Bowls (had to slip that in there).

As someone who suffered through years of failure with the "Patsies", I can only hope that each of you gets a chance to have everyone say they're sick of hearing about your team.

Edited by BrainySmurf

This is an absolute joke, this award (to me) is now completely meaningless PR BS. As a human being, I'm glad that Teddy was able to get back on the feild, for his sake and his families IOW he's healthy.

Now, to have Smitty split this with Teddy is an absolute Abomination, a complete and utter mockery. In fact, I can't remember when an award has been botched as bad as this, I realise a stroke is very serious business, as my best freind had one before he was 40 years old, but Smitty didn't just sit around in a cast for 6 weeks, it was two or three breaks in the leg, Smitty had to have surgery that involved plates and screws, that required a second surgery to remove, and then extensive rehab. This is an absolute F'ing joke.

Edited by PantherDave

In another thread I posted that I thought Smith deserved it but that Bruschi would get it.

Upon further reflection, I like this co-winner thing.

Smith came back from a shattered leg. Missed almost all 2004 because of it. Fit the criteria for Comeback Player of the Year.

Bruschi came back from a stroke and heart surgery to play in one of the most physical games around. Fit the criteria for Comback Player of the Year.

Personally have never liked Bruschi much, too rah rah for me, but then I am not a Carolina fan either or Smith fan either. I would most definitely want both on my FF team though.

Since I am not a 'homer' of either, complaining and crying about what a joke or disservice....... a tie works for me. Both were deserving.

says it all right here :D  and for the haters..... :D  :D especially Panther Dave

1250742[/snapback]

I do pick and jab at Pat's homers, but I would not classify myself as a 'Pat Hater", plus this has nothing to do with Panther fan vs Pat fan, if you read that into it because I'm a Panther homer..well that's your right. This award should not have even been close, but yet you "quote" post the Pat's recent resume and the love for their owner, like it has some bearing on this award??? That is very confusing, but as long as the coat tails are availabel...ride on.

I do pick and jab at Pat's homers, but I would not classify myself as a 'Pat Hater", plus this has nothing to do with Panther fan vs Pat fan, if you read that into it because I'm a Panther homer..well that's your right. This award should not have even been close, but yet you "quote" post the Pat's recent resume and the love for their owner, like it has some bearing on this award??? That is very confusing, but as long as the coat tails are availabel...ride on.

1250914[/snapback]

This award has nothing to do with the Pat's recent success or the owner. Smith got hurt in the first game last year, right? So he had almost as much time possible to return in 2005 from a 2004 injury. Yeah, he was hurt last year, who cares, big deal.

Pats fans could care less about the award, or that Bruschi had to share it with someone. You are visibly upset that Smith had to share such a meaningless award. That's pitiful.

If you want to look at the last 3 winners of the award, Brees, Kitna, and Maddox, the Comeback Player meaning seems to be someone that has a great year after being counted out or left for dead, so again, maybe Brunell should have got it.

In 2004, everyone knew Steve Smith was playing this year, he was rated pretty high in the Huddle rankings I recall. There was next to know one that thought Bruschi was going to play this year, so by him just being able to play in 9 games I'm sure garnered some votes.

This award has nothing to do with the Pat's recent success or the owner.  Smith got hurt in the first game last year, right?  So he had almost as much time possible to return in 2005 from a 2004 injury.  Yeah, he was hurt last year, who cares, big deal.

Pats fans could care less about the award, or that Bruschi had to share it with someone.  You are visibly upset that Smith had to share such a meaningless award.  That's pitiful.

If you want to look at the last 3 winners of the award, Brees, Kitna, and Maddox, the Comeback Player meaning seems to be someone that has a great year after being counted out or left for dead, so again, maybe Brunell should have got it.

In 2004, everyone knew Steve Smith was playing this year, he was rated pretty high in the Huddle rankings I recall.  There was next to know one that thought Bruschi was going to play this year, so by him just being able to play in 9 games I'm sure garnered some votes.

1250963[/snapback]

Uh, when you signed Monte Biesel to replace him, I knew he'd be back soon enough :D That guy is terrible.

Uh, when you signed Monte Biesel to replace him, I knew he'd be back soon enough :D That guy is terrible.

1250967[/snapback]

Now that's funny :D

First of all how is Tedy a "media darling" Where did you come up with this crap? TO is a media darling, manning is a media darling, etc... No one and I mean no I know or seen on TV or in the papers portrays him to be a media darling. If anything he is so underreated and out of the lime light 90% of the time.

If he didn't have a stroke his name would come up now and then just like his whole career. He never got the recognition of being a great player till now.  :D 

:D Anybody care to respond to this?

I'm not outraged. I think Smith was probably the more clear winner here, but someone earlier jokingly wrote something about a Bruschi movie of the week (or something like that) and it would not surprise me if this award was given to Bruschi for the sole purpose of capping off his story with an award, so that Hollywood can give an even happier ending when they produce the inevitable movie. I sincerely believe that this is the case here.

Hey they are the best...it's like when the 'Boys were the team.  Only dif is there's probably more coverage due to more media outlets and on line places to get info and discuss.

Do I think Smith and Bruschi had COY years?  Yes but for different reasons.  I do think that Smith should have taken the prize himself though, he had an amazing year.  Bruschi and Harrision are the heart and soul of the D (along with Seymour) so getting Teddy back was a big deal, especially after all he went through.

The Pats deserve all the attention and credit they get:

1. won 3 out of last 4 superbowls in a tough cap management and FA era

2. Great owner who turned team around and is loved by players and peers alike for what he's done and all that he does for community.

3. Great coaches who have instilled a winning attitude and system that other teams try to follow.

4. They are the defending Champs.

Most of the attention is not from players or fans singing their praises up and down its from the national media.  So don't blame the Pats or Bruschi for the award.

Oh and just to add fuel to the fire  :D

"Also, linebacker Tedy Bruschi was named the Patriots' recipient of the 2005 Ed Block Courage Award. One winner from each team will be honored at the 28th annual Ed Block Courage Awards on Tuesday, March 7 in Baltimore.

Recipients were selected by their teammates for displaying commitments to the principles of courage and sportsmanship, while serving as inspirations in the locker room."

Can Saturday get here any quicker.... :D

1250600[/snapback]

You missed a few things on your list of "Why the Pats deserve all the attention and credit they get." Allow me to assist:

5. They have the NFL's principal metrosexual for a QB!

6. The Silver Bullet train commercial.... I mean there is just no other NFL stadium that would work so well in!

7. What other NFL team can claim they won 2 world championships on the broad and mighty shoulders of a 5'7" 165 lbs kicker?

8. Foxboro, MA! I mean really, who wouldn't want to travel there to watch a game?!?

9. Who else has Elvis on their helmets? Hmm... I'm waiting. We're talking 'The King' here!

10. And lastly... Bill Belichick. If he is not voted GQ's Best Dressed Man of the Year, I am canceling my subscription!!

he didn't come back fully, his numbers are mediocre...he only played half a season, he's hurt again...give me a break. I hope he personally loses this game for them...somehow...not sure how he could...but you know...a guy can dream...

all i know is that its not common for a player to miss an entire season from a serious injury, come back the year later, and win the receiving triple crown.

anyone who tries to defend bruschi is nothing more than a homer and should be ignored.

guys that win this thing are usually guys on their last hurrah.. they get one more chance to succeed and they exceed expectations.. (brees, kitna, maddox) garrison hearst was the last guy to win it after missing a season.. in his case 2 seasons.

what pisses me off most about this is the fact that the same thing happened last year.. mark fields came back from an after entire year off battling Hodgkins disease. he played 14 games and was voted to the pro bowl. am i missing something here, or is the nfl being major hypocrites here and playing favorites? this is one of the stupidest things i have ever seen from the nfl and is a perfect example of what some publicity can get you.

fields was 10x more deserving of the award than bruschi, but because the pats are media darlings.. bruschi got an award he didnt deserve thanks to espn spending that entire month talking about his stupid return.

spending a year in cancer treatment, coming back the next season and playing in the nfl is remarkable.. coming back and making an impact and the pro bowl is simply amazing. battling cancer is one of the most emotional and physical draining events anyone can imagine. to come back and play in the nfl is the likes of lance armstrong and mario lemieux. two other guys that beat the odds and are heroes of their sports.

imo this award should open some eyes and instead of congratulating bruschi.. congratulate smith and fields for their accomplishments in which the nfl decided to play down. those are the two guys that deserved it the most.