[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

a TIE for COMEBACK POY?

BigMikeinNY

Bruschi comeback is a nice story and impressive but i agree his stats and what he has accomplished in his comeback pales greatly in comparison as to what Steve Smith has accomplished this season

I think the fact it was a stroke ( being the ailment Bruschi came back from ) has a lot to do with this award ..

In the battle of ailments , a stroke carries alot more weight than a broken leg

Sigh...

I agree it is very impressive anyone could come back from a stroke.

However... taking away from Steve Smiths comeback of the year is a bit much.

Smith has been playing like an MVP WR all year long, let alone not playing last year. That is come back of the year, and he deserved all of it.

Maybe we should just create a "Comeback from a tragic event" award. That way it would have been between Bruschi and Jurevicious.

And Bruschi still would have won...

EDIT-

Not to mention looking at these numbers-

Teddy Bruschi

Played 9 Games in 06 Season

Solo Tackles- 36

Assists - 25

Sacks - 2

Steve Smith

Played 16 games in 06 Season

Receptions - 102

Yards - 1563 (22 of 20+ yards, 7 of 40+)

Total TDS - 13

Steve Smith has WR MVP numbers. Brushchi's numbers obveously arn't bad, but Smith is obveously the more impressive player. And he, like Bruschi is comming back from a physical injury.

Edited by kpholmes

.....yet another example of how hollow and meaningless "awards" have become.

The only award that really matters is the one you get at the end of the Superbowl.

No writer can screw you out of that one. (Though some will try)

.....yet another example of how hollow and meaningless "awards" have become.

The only award that really matters is the one you get at the end of the Superbowl. 

No writer can screw you out of that one.  (Though some will try)

1250220[/snapback]

This dude's a wiseman. :D

the more i think about it...it's really quite laughable. splitting an award between a guy who's played half the season on a DEF that played like crap and a guy who is having an MVP-esque season and pretty much single handedly got his team into the playoffs...bah..it's LOL funny...

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/9to5/a...01/post_29.html

haha...it's getting better....

NEW YORK -- New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi, who returned to the field after a stroke last winter, will share The Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year award with Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith, who missed most of last year with a broken leg.

Bruschi shares the award? I see it the other way around...Smitty was plain robbed...The more i read, the madder i get....

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/9to5/a...01/post_29.html

haha...it's getting better....

Bruschi shares the award? I see it the other way around...Smitty was plain robbed...The more i read, the madder i get....

1250294[/snapback]

ESPN is partly to blame...they ran pieces and interviews with Bruschsi 3-4 weeks after his comeback.

Man had a stroke and was able to come back. Quite amazing, actually, and certainly a feel good story. But I got it the first 300 times...

But look, what Bruschi came back from was far more serious and career-threatening than what Smith.......:D OK, I can't even get through that sentence.

Smith should have won, hands down.

disclaimer that I am a Pats homer. But I have to say I'm pretty neutral about this and I don't understand the outrage. To be honest, I never even knew this award existed until this season. So here's my questions:

1) What, if any, are the stated criteria for this award? "Comeback Player of the Year" could be pretty subjective. Does it mean the player with the most remarkable comeback? Or the player who contributed the most a year after being a non-factor for whatever reason?

2) What do the awardees get?

Most of these awards are jokes, so why get so worked up over it.

Smith missed a year, he got hurt early enough in 2004 to give him plenty of time to work his way back to 100%.

Leg injuries and people missing a year aren't anything new, Edge didn't get the award after coming back from his season ending injury.

The last couple winners were Drew Brees, John Kitna, and Tommy Maddox. It wasn't return from injury, it was coming from nowhere and having a career year.

As for Bruschi, everyone was saying there was probably about a 50/50 chance of returning next year at the earliest, maybe a 1% chance of coming back this year. He has come back and had an impact on the Pats defense.

Like I said, people return from year ending injuries every year, TO came back from a broken leg in couple months. If anything, it should have went to Brunell, as he fits the mold of the last 3 winners.

Edited by charty

A tie?!? What crap!

Steve Smith had an MVP type year.

Tedy's recovery was a good story and got PLENTY of hype.

To make Smith share is just plain wrong.

I already think the PATSIES get way too much coverage, hype, and credit.

This is just solidifying an already present dislike for that east coast team.

Maybe the JAGS knock them off so we won't have to hear ANYMORE!!! :D

So many haters on this board. The irony is that it's hasn't been the Pats homers or players but the national media who has blown Tedy's return way out or proportion.

You can judge/dismiss/mock him all you want. Bottom line, I want the guy on my team. He may be more valuable to the Pats D than any other player is for his respective defense in the league in terms of leadership and communication.

BTW - I'm sure he doesn't give a crap about this "honor." The only thing he's focused on is winning another superbowl. And that's the way we like it.