[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers Hire McCarthy

Guest Sores

No kidding - Its a legitmate question. You will have almost 30 million under the cap without Favre. I am just asking to see what you guys think, but its obvious its pretty sensitive subject for most. BTW - I love your sigline.

1262785[/snapback]

I answered your question. Favre will not play anywhere else. Period. What more do you want to know? It isn't sensitive....it is, as I stated earlier, a moot point.

:D 's don't change teams after hall of fame careers in one city.

Edited by Sores

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I answered your question.  Favre will not play anywhere else.  Period.  What more do you want to know?  It isn't sensitive....it is, as I stated earlier, a moot point.

:D 's don't change teams after hall of fame careers in one city.

1262810[/snapback]

:D I give up...you are missing my point. Its not what Favre wants to do. Whats in the best interests of the team. When does Favre era end and the rebuilding begin? Without him, being 30 million under is a good to start a rebuilding process. Do they do it this year when he counts 13 or so million against the cap or wait a couple years. As a Vikings fan, I prefer the latter.

:D I give up...you are missing my point. Its not what Favre wants to do. Whats in the best interests of the team. When does Favre era end and the rebuilding begin?  Without him, being 30 million under is a good to start a rebuilding process. Do they do it this year when he counts 13 or so million against the cap or wait a couple years. As a Vikings fan, I prefer the latter.

1262924[/snapback]

As a Viking fan, you show your ignorance. You pound your head? I pound mine harder. YOU don't get it. He has no value in trade because teams know he won't play for anyone but Green Bay. Even with Favre the Packers are 20M+ under the cap. Should he retire, they gain 8M. Unless you think they can lure Drew Brees away from SD, there isn't a QB approaching Favre's current abilities available. When Favre retires, the Packers are going to be in very bad shape. They will be the Bears of the past 2 decades. I don't think any Packer fan thinks much differently. He is the foundation and key to any possible success they have the next 2-3 years. He goes, so go the Packer's fortunes.

From JS online:

If Favre were to come back next season - at a salary of $10 million and a salary-cap number of $12 million - there are no guarantees he wouldn't be thrust right back into the same situation. The Packers don't envision themselves as a rebuilding team, but they probably are.

And Favre said he recognizes he might not be the right fit for that situation.

"We have a ways to go to get back to where we were, and what direction this team wants to go may not include me - or may include me but, 'Brett, it may take a while to do this, are you willing to go along for a ride or are you willing to possibly have a season like this next year?' " Favre said. "There are no guarantees.

"As much as I would like to think that we could turn this around. . . and I could be the difference-maker, that might not be the case."

And the Packers would take a 12 million cap hit as the article states which would putthem at 28 million.

Now I am not being ignorant, just trying to have conversation on which way you think the team should go. I see you want Favre back. Have a good night.

From JS online:

If Favre were to come back next season - at a salary of $10 million and a salary-cap number of $12 million - there are no guarantees he wouldn't be thrust right back into the same situation. The Packers don't envision themselves as a rebuilding team, but they probably are.

And Favre said he recognizes he might not be the right fit for that situation.

"We have a ways to go to get back to where we were, and what direction this team wants to go may not include me - or may include me but, 'Brett, it may take a while to do this, are you willing to go along for a ride or are you willing to possibly have a season like this next year?' " Favre said. "There are no guarantees.

"As much as I would like to think that we could turn this around. . . and I could be the difference-maker, that might not be the case."

And the Packers would take a 12 million cap hit as the article states which would putthem at 28 million.

Now I am not being ignorant, just trying to have conversation on which way you think the team should go. I see you want Favre back. Have a good night.

1263023[/snapback]

You are no capologist....NFL.com has it rrong, or is not figuring the raise in the cap to 90M minimum. Every other site you look to has the Packers at roughly 20M and Favre's retirement would bring them 8M more in cap relief.

22M

20.7M

19.6M

why is everyone writing the Pack off as a rebuilding team? They don't seem that far off from a winning record.

They need some offensive line help. If you don't give Favre time, he'll rush the pass and throw the pick every time.

Defense needs some draft picks towards LBs and a CB

I just don't see them in as bad as shape as everyone pictures them being. They got a lot of pieces in place. The D has Grady, Kampman, KGB, Barnett, Al Harris. That's more than some teams can say

why is everyone writing the Pack off as a rebuilding team?  They don't seem that far off from a winning record. 

They need some offensive line help.  If you don't give Favre time, he'll rush the pass and throw the pick every time. 

Defense needs some draft picks towards LBs and a CB

I just don't see them in as bad as shape as everyone pictures them being.  They got a lot of pieces in place.  The D has Grady, Kampman, KGB, Barnett, Al Harris.  That's more than some teams can say

1263897[/snapback]

I don't think they are that far off either, but they don't have a large margin for error. This offseason is critical. If they get some guys back healthy and Thompson has a strong draft and FA period, I believe they can bounce back to respectability quickly.

Unrestriced Free Agents:

Kampman - I love the effort he brings, but how much do you pay an overachiever?

Grady Jackson - represented by Rosenhaus :doah:

Green & Davenport - coming off of injury

Flanagan - age and health concerns

Kevin Barry - probably won't return unless he gets a chance to start.

Tony Fisher - valuable 3rd down back. Will probably return unless some team goes crazy and makes a big offer.

William Henderson - getting up there in years, but still the best FB on the roster. Vonta Leach who is being groomed as his replacement struggled when given chances this season.

Other UFAs: Rob Davis, Ryan Longwell, Ruegamer, Paris Lenon

Outshined -- please listen to my obsession. You have no idea what you're talking about. Favre has zero trade value, since he'd retire before playing for another team, and I have no idea what to make of your salary-cap numbers-crunching. All I KNOW is that my obsession's numbers are correct and that just because a player's cap hit is $12 million doesn't mean the team would save $12 million by trading him (or cutting him, for that matter).

Favre gives the team the best chance to win next year -- with a team that figures to be healthier and much better than the 2005 version. Thompson knows it, McCarthy knows it, and all knowledgeable Packers fans know it.

As for McCarthy...I can't say I'm all that excited either, although my optimism has grown slightly since reading the series of articles about him from the Journal-Sentinel. Key word: slightly.

Count me among those who believe Sherman should have had one more year -- ASSUMING Bates remained as the DC for 2006. After watching Teddy T's press conference after the firing, I tend to agree with Sherman, who later said he thought he was fired simply because Thompson "wanted his own guy in there". No reason was given to Sherman or the audience of the press conference.

I'll say this: from what I've gathered, there are a LOT of people in NFL front offices who really like McCarthy. In fact, apparently Thompson liked him initially because Ron Wolf spoke highly of his abilities back in '99.

At this point, the success of Green Bay in 2006 hinges on 3 major things: 1. The return of Favre. 2) The return of Jim Bates. 3) The ability to add 2 instant contributors through the draft and/or free agency.

Favre gives the team the best chance to win next year -- with a team that figures to be healthier and much better than the 2005 version. Thompson knows it, McCarthy knows it, and all knowledgeable Packers fans know it.

1265049[/snapback]

Weren't you the "knowledgeable Packer fan" that claimed the Pack still had a chance to win the division at about mid-season or so? :D

Weren't you the "knowledgeable Packer fan" that claimed the Pack still had a chance to win the division at about mid-season or so?  :D

1265065[/snapback]

:D Hmm...I don't recall that...

:D

Yes, the Packers were worse than I thought (mostly because their run defense suddenly went from stingy to sorry overnight) and the Bears were better than I thought.

Anyway, what does that have do to with the topic at hand?!?! :D

Weren't you the "knowledgeable Packer fan" that claimed the Pack still had a chance to win the division at about mid-season or so?  :D

1265065[/snapback]

They did have a chance. A slim one to be sure, but a chance.

I had a chance to win HOT with Favre as my QB too. :D

Outshined -- please listen to my obsession. You have no idea what you're talking about. Favre has zero trade value, since he'd retire before playing for another team, and I have no idea what to make of your salary-cap numbers-crunching. All I KNOW is that my obsession's numbers are correct and that just because a player's cap hit is $12 million doesn't mean the team would save $12 million by trading him (or cutting him, for that matter).

As for McCarthy...I can't say I'm all that excited either, although my optimism has grown slightly since reading the series of articles about him from the Journal-Sentinel. Key word: slightly.

Count me among those who believe Sherman should have had one more year -- ASSUMING Bates remained as the DC for 2006. After watching Teddy T's press conference after the firing, I tend to agree with Sherman, who later said he thought he was fired simply because Thompson "wanted his own guy in there". No reason was given to Sherman or the audience of the press conference.

I'll say this: from what I've gathered, there are a LOT of people in NFL front offices who really like McCarthy. In fact, apparently Thompson liked him initially because Ron Wolf spoke highly of his abilities back in '99.

At this point, the success of Green Bay in 2006 hinges on 3 major things: 1. The return of Favre. 2) The return of Jim Bates. 3) The ability to add 2 instant contributors through the draft and/or free agency.

1265049[/snapback]

I was basing my question off of a radio report I heard on K-Fan. I even posted the question here about the packs currenty salary cap. No one posted a number so I was just going by what I heard on the radio. Going off that and being 28 million under would be a good start to give Rodgers the rock with a cap room to get a good supporting cast.

I now understand that Favre will most likely be back and maybe next year. How much playing time will Rodgers get this year?

In GOOD news, McCarthy is apparently leaning heavily towards installing former GB TE coach Jeff Jagodzinski as OL coach; Jagodzinski has been learning the Denver run-blocking system from Alex Gibbs in Atl the past couple years.

Not sure if Jagodzinski will pull it off or not, but I :D the installation of that scheme in the run game.

If you read the 49er boards most fans are happy that McCarthy is out. Before the end of the season people wanted HC Mike Nolan to fire the guy because his playcalling stunk.

He had a reputation with the niners as being overly predictable with the run,run, pass, punt playcalling. Sure the niners have little to no talent on the offense, but he didn't seem to take chances even though he really didn't have anything to lose.

For Bay Area sports reports on the subject, its been a real headscratcher why the Packers would even hire him, but as DMD said, its all about connections.

Just like in most jobs, its not what you know, but who you know :D

Did a little research

Joe Horn's stats with McCarthy as OC:

2000 94 1340 14.3 8

2001 83 1265 15.2 9

2002 88 1312 14.9 7

2003 78 973 12.5 10

2004 94 1399 14.9 11

Deuce with McCarthy (2000-2001 R.Williams was still in NO)

2002 325 1388 4.3 13

2003 351 1641 4.7 8

2004 269 1074 4.0 9

Saints offensive rankings:

Pt Yd

2005 31 20

2004 14 16

2003 14 10

2002 3 18

2001 13 8

2000 10 10

Also, see this article.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan06/384518.asp

A lot of people speak highly of McCarthy. It doesn't sound like McCarthy was let go in NO. Sounds more like he wanted out. I think, if Favre comes back, Walker returns healthy, and we see some improved o-line play, McCarthy will do fine on offense. I am concerned about taking a step backwards on defense where there is a possibility they'll be installing the fourth defensive scheme in as many years.