[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers Hire McCarthy

Guest Sores

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Packer fan had to be the first to report it at the huddle....did all I could to beat BJ to the story!

This should ensure that Favre plays one more season (at least)...and likely comes with assurances that the Pack will draft for offense.

Edited by Sores

KFFL Breaking News 7:05 PM

Packers Pick McCarthy as new Head Coach

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Green Bay Packers have picked San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy as their new head coach. The two sides must now negotiate a contract, but there are not expected to be any major sticking points in discussions. An official announcement is expected to come later in the week. McCarthy, 42, served as the team's quarterbacks coach in 1999.

I beat KFFL by 6 minutes! Hooray for me!

and a little ESPN confirmation.

Edited by Sores

Sorry, but I had you beat by 40 minutes...and I'm no Packer fan.

McCarthy

1260959[/snapback]

Granted...you beat me....but you weren't ummmm astute enough to start a new thread!

Word was that Bates was likely to leave if not named HC.

1261017[/snapback]

That sucks...young guys coming together a little at the end of the season and now that start all over again. Throw some $ his way Ted.

Didn't the 49ers have one of the worst offenses in NFL history?  How did this dude get promoted after a stint like that?

1261007[/snapback]

"contacts"

McCarthy is widely known as one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. McCarthy is a reputed developer of quarterbacks, having tutored Brett Favre, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Blake, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks.

Didn't the 49ers have one of the worst offenses in NFL history?  How did this dude get promoted after a stint like that?

1261007[/snapback]

Actually, considering how talent-poor and/or inexperienced the 9ers offense was, I don't know that you'd necessarily hold it against him. He did show some creativity in how he used Arnaz Battle, and meanwhile in New Orleans, Aaron Brooks looked utterly lost without McCarthy there.

I don't particularly like the hire myself, but then again, I was saying I could see why they wouldn't fire Sherman mainly because there were no knock-yer-socks-off candidates out there.

Any word on whether he retains Bates (or if Bates wants to stay)?

1261016[/snapback]

Word was that Bates was likely to leave if not named HC.

1261017[/snapback]

The article on packersnews.com didn't appear to completely rule out him returning as DC but he does sound extremely disappointed he didn't get this job. He hadn't interviewed for any of the other open jobs, because he believed he had a really good shot at winning this one.

Ted didn't even interview Ferentz which is a little surprising.

McCarthy must have really blown him away.

1261186[/snapback]

I think everyone basically knows that Farentz is a waste of time right now. He's destined for the NFL and will succeed there most likely, but he's consistently said he's staying at Iowa until (at least) his son graduates. NFL will have to wait......

Jagodzinski, a Wisconsin native and the Packers’ tight ends coach from 1999 to 2003, is Atlanta’s offensive line coach and would bring a zone-blocking scheme based on what the Denver Broncos use in their version of the West Coast system. Jagodzinski has learned that blocking scheme over the last two seasons from former Broncos assistant Alex Gibbs, who joined the Falcons in 2004. The Broncos hired Gibbs as offensive line coach in 1995 when they adjusted their offense to become more run-oriented and have aging quarterback John Elway throw mostly on short dropbacks.

Jagodzinksi is one of two guys McCarthy is targeting as OC.

The other is Bucs QB coach Paul Hackett.

After leaving USC, Hackett served as the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets from 2001 to 2004. During his time with the Jets, he faced great scrutiny by many Jet fans for his "play it safe" approach to running an offense.

1261007[/snapback]

I often wondered how he got a job after the Saints sent him packing.

McCarthy is widely known as one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. McCarthy is a reputed developer of quarterbacks, having tutored Brett Favre, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Blake, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks.

1261065[/snapback]

Favre I'll give you, but both Delhomme & Bulger he let the Saints trade away. He obviously didn't think too highly of either of them.Same goes for Hasselbeck. Blake was a good QB in the twilight of his career when he came to the Saints so I'd give him no credit there & Brooks would be a black mark on his record at this point.