[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brokeback Mountain

Guest Sores

Never saw it, no desire to see it.  Heard it was "great", but I just don't see myself having any interest.  I do, however, like cheesy chit like "My Best Friend's Wedding".  :D  So it's certainly not a matter of liking certain movie genres.

1281618[/snapback]

Braveheart?

Brian's Song? (uh oh...two men who love each other)

Princess Bride? (My guess is you missed this....go rent it!)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be something to this movie considering how well it's doing at the box office in spite of it's subject matter. I may watch it on video later on.

1281635[/snapback]

I have heard many women discuss that they find the premise and actors playing the cowboy homos hot, so they want to go see it.

I'm guessing it;s the same phenomenon that gats women to go see Jude Law movies :D

Braveheart?

Brian's Song? (uh oh...two men who love each other)

Princess Bride? (My guess is you missed this....go rent it!)

1281640[/snapback]

I saw Braveheart. Sure, it had an underlying "love story" theme. But come on, you can't compare Brokeback Mountain to Braveheart.

Never saw Brian's Song.

And yeah, Princess Bride is a love story but it's also a comedy and just one of those movies that you "have" to see. Seen it several times.

BTW....left out of my original review of the movie was an observation my wife and I had about the audience.

It was by far the OLDEST audience we have ever seen at a movie. We are in our very early 40's and we were very close to being the youngest people in a pretty packed theatre.

I could go into the reasons I think attribute to the demographics we saw at the movie, but that would be inflammatory and judgemental.

I'm guessing it;s the same phenomenon that gats women to go see Jude Law movies  :D

1281648[/snapback]

The Talented Mr. Ripley. Very good Jude Law movie...where he is gay.

I saw Braveheart.  Sure, it had an underlying "love story" theme.  But come on, you can't compare Brokeback Mountain to Braveheart.  The storyline of Braveheart was that he did all he did because of the love he had for one woman and what happened to her....if that is not a sweeping love story, one has never been made.

Never saw Brian's Song.  Shame on you!  :D

And yeah, Princess Bride is a love story but it's also a comedy and just one of those movies that you "have" to see.  Seen it several times.    :D

1281650[/snapback]

Okay, my obsession...let's play with this, eh?

judgmental: adj. Inclined to make judgments, especially moral or personal ones

I think some of you need to check back into the "Do you hate anyone" thread and make sure you make everyone aware that you hate people that are different than you.

1281470[/snapback]

See, this is you saying that you've determined that some people that don't want to see Brokeback Mountain need to make sure that people know we hate people different from us. Contained in that statement is the conclusion that you have drawn that some people here hate people that are different than they are. That's called making a judgment about someone. and that's you making it.

You don't know what is.

1281647[/snapback]

bzzzzzzt. wrong answer :D

BTW....left out of my original review of the movie was an observation my wife and I had about the audience. 

It was by far the OLDEST audience we have ever seen at a movie.  We are in our very early 40's and we were very close to being the youngest people in a pretty packed theatre.

I could go into the reasons I think attribute to the demographics we saw at the movie, but that would be inflammatory and judgemental.

1281652[/snapback]

How and why did your wife convince you to go see it?:D There is no way, I could see?

The storyline of Braveheart was that he did all he did because of the love he had for one woman and what happened to her....if that is not a sweeping love story, one has never been made.

1281660[/snapback]

Yeah, and there's like an hour and a half worth of some of the best battle scenes ever put on film in this movie. This is what I'm referring to. If you tell me that there's 3 or 4 bitchen' chases on horseback with six-shooters and/or a few shootouts at the OK Corral, then maybe we're on to something. You see where I'm going with this? I'm fine with "love story" thematic elements, as long as there's something else redeeming about the movie. All I've heard about Brokeback Mountain is that it's just about unconditional love, blah blah blah. :D I just have no desire to see it, or any Titanic-like movie. Only reason I watched Titanic was for the historic value and to see what's-her-name's boob. :D

Yeah, and there's like an hour and a half worth of some of the best battle scenes ever put on film in this movie.  This is what I'm referring to.  If you tell me that there's 3 or 4 bitchen' chases on horseback with six-shooters and/or a few shootouts at the OK Corral, then maybe we're on to something.  You see where I'm going with this?  I'm fine with "love story" thematic elements, as long as there's something else redeeming about the movie.  All I've heard about Brokeback Mountain is that it's just about unconditional love, blah blah blah.  :D  I just have no desire to see it, or any Titanic-like movie.  Only reason I watched Titanic was for the historic value and to see what's-her-name's boob.  :D

1281673[/snapback]

:D

Okay, my obsession...let's play with this, eh?

judgmental:  adj.  Inclined to make judgments, especially moral or personal ones

See, this is you saying that you've determined that some people that don't want to see Brokeback Mountain need to make sure that people know we hate people different from us.  Contained in that statement is the conclusion that you have drawn that some people here hate people that are different than they are.  That's called making a judgment about someone.  and that's you making it.

bzzzzzzt.  wrong answer :D

1281666[/snapback]

Go back and read the definition of hate. Or find a different defination that proves your point...that you can abhor, detest, or belittle with fondness or indifference.

Go back and read the definition of hate.  Or find a different defination that proves your point...that you can abhor, detest, or belittle with fondness or indifference.

1281928[/snapback]

I don't need to. People are speaking of abhoring a behavior, not of people. There is a big, big difference. Your indepth psychology knowledge should contain that.

As far as belittling with fondness, have you read any posts at the Huddle ever? :D

BTW, it's not the decision not to see the movie that makes me want to call you homophobic. It's the need to come here and puff up your chest and make gay jokes that makes you homophobic.

1281635[/snapback]

Well, in guess in your p.c. world we cant make any gay jokes without being homophobic. That is absurd.

How and why did your wife convince you to go see it?:D  There is no way, I could see?

1281668[/snapback]

She didn't have to do much convincing. I love to go see movies. In many respects the movie theatre experience is a last remnant of mass entertainment presented virtually unchanged (except for stadium seating and dolby sound) over the past 50 years. Some movies I refuse to go see - I mentioned in the locked Brokeback thread that I won't see Memoirs of a Geisha. Not because I hate the Japanese or Geisha's, it just looks boring to me.

Well, in guess in your p.c. world we cant make any gay jokes without being homophobic.  That is absurd.

1281945[/snapback]

Not so. I said earlier that some of your posts were funny. But like I also pointed out, if you are going to use words here, think whether you would use them to a person's face. Would you tell Michael Jordan you thought because he had black skin he was a ***? Would you tell Shawn Green he was a kike and should play on Yom Kippur? Similarly, you shouldn't use words that would hurt or offend a homosexual. I said earlier, if my son turned out to be gay, he better have a sense of humor about it...cuz jokes would fly....and yes you can joke about gay people without tiptoeing around p/c issues - see Will and Grace and it's mainstream success.

Buncha homophobic sissies. I think a great deal of the point is that you need to look beyond the individuals depicted to the themes.

1281183[/snapback]

We've been down this path in a past thread. Good luck with this fight. There is no "winning" or at least making Spain see it another way. I'd respect his opinion if he'd at least try to understand the opposing viewpoint as opposed to calling anyone a homo if they express any positive feeling towards this film.

I'm not sure why the last thread on this movie got locked. Big John? DMD?

I'm not sure why the last thread on this movie got locked.  Big John? DMD?

1282317[/snapback]

DMD or WW locked it for it being too inflammitory - afraid the site might be put on a restricted list.

This thread is a pointless waste of space.