[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brokeback Mountain

Guest Sores

I don't care if there are sex scenes or not ... I don't like or agree with the subject matter ... no way do I go to this movie.

It would make my skin crawl.

1281116[/snapback]

+1.

Would you go see it if it were a love story about 2 beautiful cowboys?

1281151[/snapback]

Of course! There's nothing wrong with that. :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when people trash movies they haven't seen. It's so...credible. I haven't seen it either, mind you, and I have no idea whether it's good or not but at least I haven't devoted a bunch of time giggling and pretend vomiting over it.

1281367[/snapback]

I love it when people build up movies they havent seen. It's so...credible. I havent seen it and I have no idea whether its good or not but at least I havent devoted a bunch of time trying to let everyone know how liberal and open minded I am by telling folks to completely ignore whats on the screen and look for the deeper themes.

I love it when people trash movies they haven't seen. It's so...credible. I haven't seen it either, mind you, and I have no idea whether it's good or not but at least I haven't devoted a bunch of time giggling and pretend vomiting over it.

1281367[/snapback]

I know the subject matter ... the content is irrelevant

Would you go see it if it were a love story about 2 beautiful cowboys?

1281151[/snapback]

Are you kidding? I went to a couples shower all day on an NFL Sunday because I was mistaken as to the definition the "couples shower"... :D:D

I know the subject matter ... the content is irrelevant

1281464[/snapback]

Yup. I reference the fake Andy Rooney post from last week that said something to the effect - Just be cause you believe homosexuality is wrong doesn't make you a homophobe, it's an opinion. :D

While I have great respect for everyone who has posted in this thread....I went back to check to make sure that was so...I think some of you need to check back into the "Do you hate anyone" thread and make sure you make everyone aware that you hate people that are different than you.

If you know anything about psychology and/or child abuse, my guess is that you already know that a fair number of homosexuals take that path after having been abused by preying adults. I am confused...should I hate the adult for destroying the life of the child, or should I hate the child for having been abused? :D

Certainly not all gay people have been abused, but you get the point. And those that have not been abused....well that takes us down the whole nature/nurture path which is perhaps for another thread.

While I have great respect for everyone who has posted in this thread....I went back to check to make sure that was so...I think some of you need to check back into the "Do you hate anyone" thread and make sure you make everyone aware that you hate people that are different than you. 

If you know anything about psychology and/or child abuse, my guess is that you already know that a fair number of homosexuals take that path after having been abused by preying adults.  I am confused...should I hate the adult for destroying the life of the child, or should I hate the child for having been abused?   :D

Certainly not all gay people have been abused, but you get the point.  And those that have not been abused....well that takes us down the whole nature/nurture path which is perhaps for another thread.

1281470[/snapback]

my obsession, what exactly, makes you believe that anyone that has posted in this thread hates anyone? I can speak for myself that I do not hate homosexuals. They should have the exact same rights as everyone else. I have said on this very board many times that I believe that they should have the right to marry, and divorce, just like anyone else. What does my lack of interest in watching an adulterous love story between two very unlikely homosexuals, have to do with me hating people? Do I have to embrace everything about their lifestyle, or else I am a hater or bigot? Does my opinion that their lifestyle, while I support their right to engage in it, is something I dont care to see, make me some sort of hatemonger? Why does the left wing p.c. movement force this type of "you must accept everything or you are a bigot" upon us a society?

The second part of your thread indicates that you believe alot of homosexuals are gay because they were abused as kids. I believe that that certainly happens. But I believe the overwhelming number of homo's are indeed born that way, or born with a propensity to be that way that their nurturing brings out. Primarily, I do believe that lifestyle is natural for most of them. But its not a lifestyle that I believe should be encouraged or portrayed in movies as an acceptable alternative lifestyle. And just because I dont want to see them having sex on screen doesnt mean I hate them. It just means I aint into that sort of thing.

Edited by spain

my obsession, what exactly, makes you believe that anyone that has posted in this thread hates anyone?  I can speak for myself that I do not hate homosexuals.  They should have the exact same rights as everyone else.  I have said on this very board many times that I believe that they should have the right to marry, and divorce, just like anyone else.  What does my lack of interest in watching an adulterous love story between two very unlikely homosexuals, have to do with me hating people?  Do I have to embrace everything about their lifestyle, or else I am a hater or bigot?  Does my opinion that their lifestyle, while I support their right to engage in it, is wrong and something I dont want to see, make me some sort of hatemonger?  Why does the left wing p.c. movement force this type of you must accept everything or you are a bigot upon us a society?

1281484[/snapback]

Bingo.

[/b]

my obsession, what exactly, makes you believe that anyone that has posted in this thread hates anyone? I can speak for myself that I do not hate homosexuals.  They should have the exact same rights as everyone else.  I have said on this very board many times that I believe that they should have the right to marry, and divorce, just like anyone else. What does my lack of interest in watching an adulterous love story between two very unlikely homosexuals, have to do with me hating people?  Do I have to embrace everything about their lifestyle, or else I am a hater or bigot?  Does my opinion that their lifestyle, while I support their right to engage in it, is something I dont care to see, make me some sort of hatemonger?  Why does the left wing p.c. movement force this type of "you must accept everything or you are a bigot" upon us a society?

The second part of your thread indicates that you believe alot of homosexuals are gay because they were abused as kids.  I believe that that certainly happens.  But I believe the overwhelming number of homo's are indeed born that way, or born with a propensity to be that way that their nurturing brings out.  Primarily, I do believe that lifestyle is natural for most of them.  But its not a lifestyle that I believe should be encouraged or portrayed in movies as an acceptable alternative lifestyle.  And just because I dont want to see them having sex on screen doesnt mean I hate them.  It just means I aint into that sort of thing.

1281484[/snapback]

If you left it at what was bolded, I would more likely believe that you are indeed an open-minded person who has thought out his position and is passionately stating it. But your "tonsil-tickling" comments and the like (which are indeed funny...but) show Intense animosity or dislike which IS the dictionary definition of hatred.

As for the italicized portion, I am a bit perplexed. You state that the lifestyle is natural for most of them, but go on to call it an alternative lifestyle. Wouldn't feigning heterosexuality actually be the alternative lifestyle for them if in fact homosexuality is natural?

[/b]

If you left it at what was bolded, I would more likely believe that you are indeed an open-minded person who has thought out his position and is passionately stating it.  But your "tonsil-tickling" comments and the like (which are indeed funny...but) show Intense animosity or dislike which IS the dictionary definition of hatred.

As for the italicized portion, I am a bit perplexed.  You state that the lifestyle is natural for most of them, but go on to call it an alternative lifestyle.  Wouldn't feigning heterosexuality actually be the alternative lifestyle for them if in fact homosexuality is natural?

1281523[/snapback]

:D Oh, although my comments might have been included some hyperbole and humor, there is nothing in them that indicate animosity or dislike. Politically incorrect, Yes! Animosity? Nope!

I do believe that their lifestyle is natural for THEM. I dont believe people "choose" to be gay. But the fact is that homosexuality is unnatural for 95% of people. It is an alternative lifestyle from the norm. It is abnormal. Why it occurs, I dont know. But it is definitely not the norm. If it was, we would cease to exist as a species...

what spain said ...again and again

Love is love and i do not beleive we need to judge the love between two people ...but it does not mean we have to go see it and or accept it

and certainly does not make you less of a man , husband , father or son if you do not

Well spain you are supposed to have those polyps removed little buddy.  :D

1281507[/snapback]

True. But some folks go to a proctologist, while others hook with some skinny well dressed dude named Bradley...

:D  Oh, although my comments might have been included some hyperbole and humor, there is nothing in them that indicate animosity or dislike.  Politically incorrect, Yes!  Animosity?  Nope!

I do believe that their lifestyle is natural for THEM.  I dont believe people "choose" to be gay.  But the fact is that homosexuality is unnatural for 95% of people.  It is an alternative lifestyle from the norm.  It is abnormal.  Why it occurs, I dont know.  But it is definitely not the norm.  If it was, we would cease to exist as a species...

1281540[/snapback]

People have asked me how I would deal with it if my son came to me and told me he was gay.

I respond that being gay is better than being a Bear fan. I would have more trouble with that. I also state that while I wouldn't love him any less, he better have a sense of humor about it...cuz that is the only way I could deal with it.

Spain, this was your best post in this thread. You make your point without coming across as a "hater".

[/b]

If you left it at what was bolded, I would more likely believe that you are indeed an open-minded person who has thought out his position and is passionately stating it.  But your "tonsil-tickling" comments and the like (which are indeed funny...but) show Intense animosity or dislike which IS the dictionary definition of hatred.

As for the italicized portion, I am a bit perplexed.  You state that the lifestyle is natural for most of them, but go on to call it an alternative lifestyle.  Wouldn't feigning heterosexuality actually be the alternative lifestyle for them if in fact homosexuality is natural?

1281523[/snapback]

:D nothing like the judgemental calling others judgemental.

This is simple. I don't want to see this movie. I have no interest. It contains things that I don't wish to spend my free time investigating, exploring, or spectating.

This is a simple statement. I know the subject matter of the movie, and know that I won't like it. When I watched the first several episodes of the shield and they decided to show man on man scenes, I didn't like it. I saw 'The Crying Game'. I didn't like it.

I don't want to watch men explore each other sexually. I think it's disgusting. It has nothing to do with hate, and everything to do with that I find the conduct repulsive to watch.

As Spain before me wrote, I support the rights of American adults without discrimination. For the same reasons I think affirmative action programs and quotas are destructive to America, I think that withholding rights from Americans because of their sexual orientation is wrong and destructive to America.

I don't want to watch male gay sex or male gay love. I don't want to watch a shepherd 'take advantage' of his flock. That's my right. And nobody should be calling me out for it.

As far as the rest of it goes, people are going to make jokes. People make jokes about all kind of things. It's not a big deal. Someone cracking a joke while they say they don't want to watch Brokeback Mountain doesn't make them full of hate for homosexuals.

Take your judgemental behind on home! :D

:D  nothing like the judgemental calling others judgemental.

This is simple.  I don't want to see this movie.  I have no interest.  It contains things that I don't wish to spend my free time investigating, exploring, or spectating.

This is a simple statement.  I know the subject matter of the movie, and know that I won't like it.  When I watched the first several episodes of the shield and they decided to show man on man scenes, I didn't like it.  I saw 'The Crying Game'.  I didn't like it.

I don't want to watch men explore each other sexually.  I think it's disgusting.  It has nothing to do with hate, and everything to do with that I find the conduct repulsive to watch.

As Spain before me wrote, I support the rights of American adults without discrimination.  For the same reasons I think affirmative action programs and quotas are destructive to America, I think that withholding rights from Americans because of their sexual orientation is wrong and destructive to America.

I don't want to watch male gay sex or male gay love.  I don't want to watch a shepherd 'take advantage' of his flock.  That's my right.  And nobody should be calling me out for it.

As far as the rest of it goes, people are going to make jokes.  People make jokes about all kind of things.  It's not a big deal.  Someone cracking a joke while they say they don't want to watch Brokeback Mountain doesn't make them full of hate for homosexuals.

Take your judgemental behind on home!  :D

1281562[/snapback]

Frankly, I don't see where I was "judgemental". I pointed out that without his last post or two in context, statements like

see two rump rangers cuddling and making out is more than most hetero-sexual men can do. I frankly dont give a rat's ass about pole smokers, but watching makeout scenes of queers in a loving embrace is not something I want to see. It is weird and makes me want to vomit
are akin to calling someone a kike, *** or wop. He was using "hateful" terms, making him look like a schoolyard bully, and no one likes a schoolyard bully any less than the bully himself. Spain is smarter and more confident than that.

He has made his point more expressively in the last few posts without attacking but still using humor. Nothing wrong with that.

edit to add: I was going to edit the *** to reflect the original word I had typed, but *** and the reason it is blocked by the board is because it is so patently offensive. It is a hateful word. Like pole-smoker, rump ranger and the like.

Edited by Sores

:D  nothing like the judgemental calling others judgemental.

This is simple.  I don't want to see this movie.  I have no interest.  It contains things that I don't wish to spend my free time investigating, exploring, or spectating.

This is a simple statement.  I know the subject matter of the movie, and know that I won't like it.  When I watched the first several episodes of the shield and they decided to show man on man scenes, I didn't like it.  I saw 'The Crying Game'.  I didn't like it.

I don't want to watch men explore each other sexually.  I think it's disgusting.  It has nothing to do with hate, and everything to do with that I find the conduct repulsive to watch.

As Spain before me wrote, I support the rights of American adults without discrimination.  For the same reasons I think affirmative action programs and quotas are destructive to America, I think that withholding rights from Americans because of their sexual orientation is wrong and destructive to America.

I don't want to watch male gay sex or male gay love.  I don't want to watch a shepherd 'take advantage' of his flock.  That's my right.  And nobody should be calling me out for it.

As far as the rest of it goes, people are going to make jokes.  People make jokes about all kind of things.  It's not a big deal.  Someone cracking a joke while they say they don't want to watch Brokeback Mountain doesn't make them full of hate for homosexuals.

Take your judgemental behind on home!  :D

1281562[/snapback]

Agree w/ all.

I don't look at this movie as a movie about two gay cowboys. It's a LOVE STORY. That's all I need to hear. I didn't see Titanic in theatres, nor have I seen ANY "sweeping love story" in the theatres.

Agree w/ all. 

I don't look at this movie as a movie about two gay cowboys.  It's a LOVE STORY.  That's all I need to hear.  I didn't see Titanic in theatres, nor have I seen ANY "sweeping love story" in the theatres.

1281595[/snapback]

Dances With Wolves? An interracial love story at that.... :D

edit to correctly title said love story.

Edited by Sores

Dances With Wolves?  An interracial love story at that.... :D

edit to correctly title said love story.

1281599[/snapback]

Never saw it, no desire to see it. Heard it was "great", but I just don't see myself having any interest. I do, however, like cheesy chit like "My Best Friend's Wedding". :D So it's certainly not a matter of liking certain movie genres.

Agree w/ all. 

I don't look at this movie as a movie about two gay cowboys.  It's a LOVE STORY.  That's all I need to hear.  I didn't see Titanic in theatres, nor have I seen ANY "sweeping love story" in the theatres.

1281595[/snapback]

You Bassturd! And after we supported you in your debue perfomance in: "Darin and Gilthorpe, Ass Masters Extraordnaire"!

Now, see, Darin's viewpoint I can agree with. He doesn't like the genre. That's fine. It's all the adolescent whining about being forced to watch guys swap spit that I find bothersome.

Spain, I'm not talking up the movie. I told you I haven't seen it. I'm not even likely to see it. Like Darin, I'm not much of a 'sweeping love story' type of girl. :D If I get a chance to go out to the movies, I'm usually wanting a comedy.

BTW, it's not the decision not to see the movie that makes me want to call you homophobic. It's the need to come here and puff up your chest and make gay jokes that makes you homophobic.

There must be something to this movie considering how well it's doing at the box office in spite of it's subject matter. I may watch it on video later on.

Frankly, I don't see where I was "judgemental".

1281586[/snapback]

Okay...

I think some of you need to check back into the "Do you hate anyone" thread and make sure you make everyone aware that you hate people that are different than you.

:D If that's not a judgemental statement, I don't know what is.