[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

v for vendetta

tonorator

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the commercial looked awful... then I noticed that Natalie Hottipants was in it. I couldnt' figure out why.

She usually makes good script decisions, so there's got to be something to it that I'm missing... unless she just really wanted to shave her head. Some polks find that attractive...

[:D]

This film is based on a comic book written in 1984. That story took place in a 1997 London, where the were security camera throughout the city and the oppresive, Christian based government ran the country with an iron fist. England survived some type of limited nuclear exchange that ended the Cold War.

I don't want to say more, but the problem with this movie is the timing: V is a terrorist to the government, wheras he sees himself as a freedom fighter. It's probably going to be a littel too Hollywood left in the end, as I'm sure they make much hay of the religion angle. Marketing this is tough too, since you're making the terroirst the bad guy. Within the wirkd if the film it makes sense, but I've been hating the ads since they're nothing more than eye candy with no real communication of what the story is.

Alan Moore is the author of the original story and is generally considered the best in the business. He also wrote 'From Hell' which wasn't bad but the graphic novel is tons better and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" which is great as a comic but completely ruined in the movie form. He never gets involved in the films.

I'm looking forward to this, because if the narrative is kept intact it should be pretty compelling.

[/:D]

[:D]

Alan Moore is the author of the original story and is generally considered the best in the business. He also wrote 'From Hell' which wasn't bad but the graphic novel is tons better and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" which is great as a comic but completely ruined in the movie form. He never gets involved in the films.

I'm looking forward to this, because if the narrative is kept intact it should be pretty compelling.

[/:D]

1375203[/snapback]

Looking forward to this flick. Agree with what Pope said Alan Moore's books are always tops. He's also well known for writing Watchmen which I heard is rumored to be being made into a movie as well. Not sure how that one would work though.

:D

I have heard (I should see this tonight) that this is a political statement movie with action elements. If you go in expecting just that and like that sort of thing, it will deliver for most people; however, if you go in expecting pure popcorn entertainment you may be disappointed.

Looking forward to this flick. Agree with what Pope said Alan Moore's books are always tops. He's also well known for writing Watchmen which I heard is rumored to be being made into a movie as well. Not sure how that one would work though.

:D

1375218[/snapback]

Last I heard Watchmen is still in development hell. I suspect it'll get made especially if V does well, but it's such a tricky project that it may never see the dark of a movie theater.

Watchmen has been in development since 1988, and there are several version of the script floating around the internet. The most promising version had Terry Gilliam attached to direct, but that one fell through almost ten years ago.

His movies are hit and miss at the box office (mainly because the translation of his dense stories always seem to fall short), and given what this one cost I find it hard to believe it'll be a big money maker. I don't see Watchmen ever getting completed, and if they ever did it belongs on HBO as a 10 hour series at minimum.

It was supposed to have been released on Nov 5th, which is Guy Fawkes Day in England, but was it considered too soon after the London bombings and it was pushed.

Edited by Pope Flick

Watchmen has been in development since 1988, and there are several version of the script floating around the internet. The most promising version had Terry Gilliam attached to direct, but that one fell through almost ten years ago.

His movies are hit and miss at the box office (mainly because the translation of his dense stories always seem to fall short), and given what this one cost I find it hard to believe it'll be a big money maker. I don't see Watchmen ever getting completed, and if they ever did it belongs on HBO as a 10 hour series at minimum.

It was supposed to have been released on Nov 5th, which is Guy Fawkes  Day in England, but was it considered too soon after the London bombings and it was pushed.

1375243[/snapback]

I think that is a brilliant idea as long as they give it a significant budget.

it's by the wach brothers who brought us the matrix.  the V character (played by hugo weaving, a.k.a. agent smith), rebels against an oppressive government and takes natalie along for the ride ...

1375150[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind taking Natalie for a "ride" :D

It was supposed to have been released on Nov 5th, which is Guy Fawkes  Day in England, but was it considered too soon after the London bombings and it was pushed.

1375243[/snapback]

That would be ideal with as big of a story as it is. I'd love to see a lot of comics get the HBO treatment like 100 Bullets or Preacher.

Good movie. Good acting. Good script with big words that are over the head of most of the people watching the movie. Nice shot of Portman's wh0re skirt flapping up as a priest tries to hump her.

Edited by WaterMan

SPOILER FREE

I saw it tonight... first and foremost, go into this movie expecting a political drama with a lot of talk and minimal action. This is not anything close to The Matrix.

That said, it's a decent film but far short of absolutely amazing. It should make most think, but as the previous poster said, there are big words and speeches that may be over the heads of some (mine included). Portman is fine, Hugo Weaving is good as V (the masked character) and the rest of the cast does a nice job. The popcorn movie lover in me would have liked a bit more action with my political intrigue, however, there are a couple of small but cool action pieces in the movie.

If you like to think a bit, can stand a lot of dialouge with limited action, I can recommend this film. If you want pure blockbuster entertainment, skip this one because you'll probably be disappointed.

TDFFFreak pretty much nails it. I expected more action in the film (I am not familiar with the graphic novel), but overall I thought it was a good movie. The acting was good...although I felt some of the dialog could have been replaced by more revelations of what was going on inside Sutler's band of puppets. You see some of this going on with Creedy, but you know there was more going on.

My kids said they really liked the movie, which surprised me. With the Shakespeare quotes, my kids lapsed into a Batman parody on the way home saying things like "Evey! To the Shakes-cave!".

I will probably pick up Moore's novel, but I have read many opinions that several liberties were taken that deviates from his novel.

I admit hearing Weaving's voice had me waiting for him to spout out at some point, "Mister Anderson!"

Edited by Gunther

Saw the midnight early release, and my reaction at the end was basically "I shaved my head for that?" Definitely the highlights of the movie imo are the scenes starring Natalie's small and perkies.

Well, this guy thought it was a load of bollocks. The couple sitting next to me, went sound asleep 3/4 of the way through. Of course, the late night probably had something to do with it. But they were both just knocked out cold, snoring, slumped over each other. Pretty funny.

Saw it today. I didn't read the comic book at all, but I knew enough from the previews that it was going to be a political movie moreso than an action movie.

That being said I went in with an open mind, looking forward to seeing the movie and walked out thinking day-yum! That was a good freakin' movie!

But that's just me.

Last I heard Watchmen is still in development hell.  I suspect it'll get made especially if V does well, but it's such a tricky project that it may never see the dark of a movie theater.

1375232[/snapback]

I saw a script treatment written by Sam Hamm - it was pared WAY down from the book - they eliminated the backstory of the Comedian and the original Silk Spectre, the political ramifications of Dr Manhattan existing, the whole pirate story, Rorschach's prison stint, etc etc. This article makes it sound like David Hayter did a far better job staying true to the source material.

It wasn't the direction I would've suggested. According to IMDB, the film is currently in pre-production with a script by David Hayter (who wrote both X-Men flicks and The Scorpion King) and Paul Greengrass (who directed the terrific Bloody Sunday and the solid Bourne Supremacy).

I've always liked the idea of an HBO series best though.

EDIT - it was attached to Paramount, who dropped it; the producers are shopping it around to see if they can generate any interest.

Edited by Chavez

Just took a peek - V had a solid-not-great $27 mil opening weekend. I have a hunch it'll disappoint at the box office - it sounds like it's too smart for the moviegoing public.

Just took a peek - V had a solid-not-great $27 mil opening weekend. I have a hunch it'll disappoint at the box office - it sounds like it's too smart for the moviegoing public.

1377765[/snapback]

I agree. I think that's the case with this film-- a little too smart in accordance with the 50 mil budget.

I agree.  I think that's the case with this film-- a little too smart in accordance with the 50 mil budget.

1377781[/snapback]

Still, a $26 million (I was off a bit in the first post) gets it halfway to recouping the budget; if it falls off the standard 50% in the second week, it only needs $10 million more domestic to break even, so with foreign box office and DVD money, it will at least be profitable - which hopefully means good things for Watchmen.

But it all depends - good word of mouth may give it some legs; I wouldn't bet on that happening, though.