[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trying to quit Nicotine

TheGrunt

Yeah... I haven't smoked a cigarette anywhere indoors or with a passenger in my car yet.

Thanks for being a ray of sunshine in my day, monster truck aficionado.

I am trying to make you quit (because I suppose I actually think you are a decent human being who should live a long life).

(Also, I wasn't suggesting that you were smoking around your son or wife, I just meant that your children will probably not want to watch their dad die of lung cancer. (I know for a fact that my mom didn't like watching my grandpa die from it.))

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I know for a fact that my mom didn't like watching my grandpa die from it.))

I went with my grandmother to visit her dad in his last days when I was really young. He smoked Lucky Strike unfiltered. 2 packs a day his whole life. I guess it was kind of a wonder that he made it to his 70's but what I saw scared the schitt outta me. Suffering from lung cancer he basicially looked like a skeleton with skin stretched across it, coughed like crazy, could barely talk... but managed to smoke half a pack while we were there. He died a couple of weeks later.

I've smoked a cigarette or two here or there (mostly in a drunken state of mind) but that image always flashes back to me any time I ever had the thought that smoking might be fun on a more regular basis.

I am trying to make you quit (because I suppose I actually think you are a decent human being who should live a long life).

(Also, I wasn't suggesting that you were smoking around your son or wife, I just meant that your children will probably not want to watch their dad die of lung cancer. (I know for a fact that my mom didn't like watching my grandpa die from it.))

Well then I guess I should thank you for your chivesiness. :D

My wife is going to try and quit again after the holidays ... hopefully it will stick this time. :D

ETA: She's going to try the patch this time - anyone had results with it?

Honestly the best and only way IMO to quit is cold turkey, but some things work for different people. This site will DEFINATELY help anyone trying to quit. quit smoking

I did? :D Well sorry sir, surely I was joking :D

:D No worries. It was another thread. It came out I quit not of my own choosing at the time, but because I spent 3 weeks in the hospital.

I have been surprised myself that I have had very few moments where I have had the urge to have a smoke. I have had them. But they pass pretty quickly. I really enjoy not waking up in the morning and coughing a lung up every day. :wacko:

:wacko: No worries. It was another thread. It came out I quit not of my own choosing at the time, but because I spent 3 weeks in the hospital.

I have been surprised myself that I have had very few moments where I have had the urge to have a smoke. I have had them. But they pass pretty quickly. I really enjoy not waking up in the morning and coughing a lung up every day. :D

:D Oh okay, well I kinda remember that. What I meant was if you don;t want to quit is pretty much impossible to, but your situation does like others who gets sick for a week or two prompt them to go ahead and try since they've been without. So as much as you say you didn't want to quit you obviously did or you wouldn't have had such great success.

You fully recovered from the accident now I presume? Back to work and normal life?

:D Oh okay, well I kinda remember that. What I meant was if you don;t want to quit is pretty much impossible to, but your situation does like others who gets sick for a week or two prompt them to go ahead and try since they've been without. So as much as you say you didn't want to quit you obviously did or you wouldn't have had such great success.

You fully recovered from the accident now I presume? Back to work and normal life?

Meh....I'm back to work and all that. But it doesn't look like I'll ever walk the same or be pain free.

Still fighting with the insurance company as well. :D

Meh....I'm back to work and all that. But it doesn't look like I'll ever walk the same or be pain free.

Still fighting with the insurance company as well. :D

Me too brotha, me too. Was in an accident shortly after yours.

gatta love them dont yah ... fracken thefts . :D

:):D:bio::D:headbang:

I hate those times during the day where it just seems so necessary-yet not complete until- I have that oh so sweet nicotine I hate to love. I haven't really been counting the days since stopping because it only makes me think about it more but AAARRGG... the patch just doesn't seem to get the job done at certain times. Any suggestions that help keep one's mind off from giving in?

...brb, going to the store to get-- uh, I mean.. I just need to, umm... go fill up my... gas..tank.. Yeah! That's it. :wacko:

Day two and my evil monkey :D tries ever so convincingly to tell :D me how smoking just one nail will somehow be a good thing :bow: and make the whole process easier. I know after day three the physical urges will go away, but for now my dying monkey :D and its icy grip does its best ;) . Sad, but while I’ve gone for up to 10 years without smoking, seems like every time I date a smoker I get lulled back in. This is hard… very hard, but I assure you there will never come a time where you just don’t feel like smoking (or chewing if that’s your deal). The physical addiction requires you go through three days of withdrawals yawn: , and the patch or gum just gives you dying monkey a lifeline :bash: . IMO, if you really want to quit, just stop doing it. Sounds overly simplistic, but I’m in the thick of it again. One more day till the physical urge is gone. Good luck.

So Grunt, or Thews......how ya guys doin?

Funny you ask, I'm pretty sure I've kicked the habit! :D

It took me A LONG time to finally stop. And actually, I asked my doctor for some advice and he prescribed me to a somewhat new drug call "Chantix". Chantix is what I'll call a miracle drug! Within two weeks it had completely halted any craving I had, and the best part is the first week taking Chantix you are allowed to continue smoking -- by the end of the week you not only don't want to smoke another cigarette, but you rarely even think about/crave the nicotine.

I think the magic of Chantix is in its ability to attach itself to the receptors in your brain that desire nicotine. Primarily because those receptors are essentially desiring the euphoric feeling of what nicotine will provide them, so once your body has less nicotine in it than the receptors want, they will cause you a world of hurt until they are supplied the nicotine they want. However, the beauty of Chantix is that it causes the receptors to be unable to absorb any nicotine. Even when you smoke a cigarette, all you are doing is feeding your physical desire (or social) to smoke a cigarette, but the nicotine never makes it to the 'feel-good' receptors. You eventually give up on cigarettes because you'll find they provide you with nothing, no longer giving your receptors the great feelings it use to do. So you quit! And I did! :D:wacko:

Funny you ask, I'm pretty sure I've kicked the habit! :wacko:

It took me A LONG time to finally stop. And actually, I asked my doctor for some advice and he prescribed me to a somewhat new drug call "Chantix". Chantix is what I'll call a miracle drug! Within two weeks it had completely halted any craving I had, and the best part is the first week taking Chantix you are allowed to continue smoking -- by the end of the week you not only don't want to smoke another cigarette, but you rarely even think about/crave the nicotine.

I think the magic of Chantix is in its ability to attach itself to the receptors in your brain that desire nicotine. Primarily because those receptors are essentially desiring the euphoric feeling of what nicotine will provide them, so once your body has less nicotine in it than the receptors want, they will cause you a world of hurt until they are supplied the nicotine they want. However, the beauty of Chantix is that it causes the receptors to be unable to absorb any nicotine. Even when you smoke a cigarette, all you are doing is feeding your physical desire (or social) to smoke a cigarette, but the nicotine never makes it to the 'feel-good' receptors. You eventually give up on cigarettes because you'll find they provide you with nothing, no longer giving your receptors the great feelings it use to do. So you quit! And I did! :D:D

:D congrats. Mr. Jones still tries to tell me to just have one, but it's been three days now and it's not as hard. Worked out today and I eat a lot, but I feel a lot better. Any of you guys gearing up for a New Year's resolution?

Funny you ask, I'm pretty sure I've kicked the habit! :D

I think the magic of Chantix is in its ability to attach itself to the receptors in your brain that desire nicotine. Primarily because those receptors are essentially desiring the euphoric feeling of what nicotine will provide them, so once your body has less nicotine in it than the receptors want, they will cause you a world of hurt until they are supplied the nicotine they want. However, the beauty of Chantix is that it causes the receptors to be unable to absorb any nicotine. Even when you smoke a cigarette, all you are doing is feeding your physical desire (or social) to smoke a cigarette, but the nicotine never makes it to the 'feel-good' receptors. You eventually give up on cigarettes because you'll find they provide you with nothing, no longer giving your receptors the great feelings it use to do. So you quit! And I did! :D:wacko:

Were the side effects of Chantix: Anal leakage, sexual disfunction, stinky ball sweats, and chronic nipple hardness... a problem for you?

Were the side effects of Chantix: Anal leakage, sexual disfunction, stinky ball sweats, and chronic nipple hardness... a problem for you?

:D

Actually, the only negative side effect to Chantix occurred when I took it on an empty stomach. If I didn't eat before taking it I'd feel nauseated for about 15-20 minutes, which only drove my desire to quit sooner rather than later. Other than the occasional nausea the drug had very few negative side effects. I'd say dealing with nausea for a month or two is a much safer option than continuing to smoke cigarettes. Heck, I'd even have dealt with anal leakage, sexual dysfunction, sticky ball sweats, or whatever, just so long as I quit smoking. And the reality is after quitting smoking you'll find a little more blood flows to certain organs that may not have done so when smoking the half-pack/pack a day. So in a way, Chantix improves sexual functions. :D

Glad to hear things worked out for you Grunt. I'll have to go see the doc and ask about Chantix. After 2 and a half years of not smoking, I have been back on them since the sh*t hit the fan with the ex-SO. Just a piss poor excuse to start smoking again and I could kick myself for starting back up. I'm full-fledged again, smoking 1-1.25 packs a day. If I drink, I smoke like a chimney. I need to get off this smoking thing and quit once and for all. I don't like the patch as it still puts nicotine in your system so you're not accomplishing anything IMO. Cold turkey's the way to go. I just won't be very sociable for at least a couple weeks an d I need to stay away from booze for at least 2 months because that's been my undoing more times than not. I need to make a Dr. appointment and ask the good doc about Chantix before I go the cold turkey route. So my New Year's resolution may not start immediately after the 1st, bvut it will eventually start one way or another.

Has anyone ever tried these things they advertise that clip onto your ear? Something about hitting a pressure point that curbs the cravings. If it's only $40, it sounds like BS to me.

:D

Actually, the only negative side effect to Chantix occurred when I took it on an empty stomach. If I didn't eat before taking it I'd feel nauseated for about 15-20 minutes, which only drove my desire to quit sooner rather than later. Other than the occasional nausea the drug had very few negative side effects. I'd say dealing with nausea for a month or two is a much safer option than continuing to smoke cigarettes. Heck, I'd even have dealt with anal leakage, sexual dysfunction, sticky ball sweats, or whatever, just so long as I quit smoking. And the reality is after quitting smoking you'll find a little more blood flows to certain organs that may not have done so when smoking the half-pack/pack a day. So in a way, Chantix improves sexual functions. :D

My wife said the same thing about Chantix. Take with food.

Careful though, in this thread someone linked to the FDA article about it having some other side effects.

My wife said the same thing about Chantix. Take with food.

Careful though, in this thread someone linked to the FDA article about it having some other side effects.

I read that, definitely interesting... but I suppose if it's a worry when considering taking it, you're more likely to get better information from a doctor than from some random website. Just a thought. Doesn't it take about 10 years of research and successful drug trials for the FDA to consider approving a drug?

Has anyone ever tried these things they advertise that clip onto your ear? Something about hitting a pressure point that curbs the cravings. If it's only $40, it sounds like BS to me.

:D I've seen those commercials and I have a feeling you'd be better off trying Chantix. But you never know... maybe one of these days a "seen on TV" product might turn out to be worth it!

I read that, definitely interesting... but I suppose if it's a worry when considering taking it, you're more likely to get better information from a doctor than from some random website. Just a thought. Doesn't it take about 10 years of research and successful drug trials for the FDA to consider approving a drug?

:D Turns out if I just clicked on the website before responding I'd have realized the website is the FDA. :D

I wanna add my two cents here, seeing as how smokes and lung cancer have been a part of my life for many years.

I smoked one and a half to two packs a day for 30 plus years and have tried to quit numerous times using numerous methods and never lasted past three weeks. That inner monkey is more powerful than you can ever imagine. My dad died of lung cancer at the young age of 65, he was one of those poor guys who barely get to retire then pass without getting to enjoy the good life. My aunt also died of lung cancer soon after her retirement, so you would think I would have plenty of motivation to quit. But only those who have been a smoker can understand the raging inner war with that damn monkey.

I have now been smoke free a whole 22 days, yeah I know it may not sound like much and it feels like 22 weeks but I am taking Chantix and it seems to be doing as advertized. The cravings are very managable and that damn monkey is still there but I can squelch his rantings so easily this time around unlike any time before wher he wouldwin and I would buy a pack only to smoke just 1 or two then feel guilty and throw the rest out only to do it all over again a day or two later.

I applaud ALL who have managed to quit and stay smoke free as it truly is one of the most difficult accomplishments a person can attain.

Get back on that soapbox Thews, that was some good stuff there. :D

I am not a good example, because quitting smoking was the easiest thing I ever did. January 8th of 2004. I had no intentions of quitting. I had stayed up till about 2:30AM reading a John Grisham novel called the Testament. I smoked my last Camel when I was done. I fully intended on getting some on the way to the office of the morning. About 300 feet from the gas station, I just decided I didn't want to buy them anymore....and never smoked another cigarette again.

So, my suggestion is read The Testament by John Grisham....then you will quit!!!!!

:D congrats. Mr. Jones still tries to tell me to just have one, but it's been three days now and it's not as hard. Worked out today and I eat a lot, but I feel a lot better. Any of you guys gearing up for a New Year's resolution?

I don't believe in New Years resolutions. They never last. When you make your mind up, you will do things...you don't need an arbitrary start date.