[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey wine barons

Big Country

I have a department dinner tomorrow night, and while we've been told we don't need to bring anything, I'd still like to. (Long story short, I won't be with the company much longer, new post soon in tailgate on that, so I won't to go out leaving a good impression should the need to return arise)

The dinner is going to be Thai food, I'm told something in the medium spiciness range. I don't particular care for wine, odd considering I grew up in Sonoma County, but, I thought bringing a decent bottle of wine that would pair with Thai Food would be nice. Unfortunately I do not know any of the particular dishes that will be served.

Any thoughts or recommendations out there?

Also, try to make it something I likely could get at a beverages and More or local grocery store.. I don;t have time ot be running around looking for a specialty shop that carries something.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd really need to know exactly what is being served but I can make some general suggestions. Assuming you'll be having some sort of sauce with noodles here are a few options:

Pinot Blanc

Pinot Gris (Italy or Oregon)

Riesling (Germany, California or Washington)

Chardonnay (Chile or South Africa)

Sancerre or Pouilly-Fume

Alsace (except Pinot Blanc)

These are all whites.

I'd really need to know exactly what is being served but I can make some general suggestions. Assuming you'll be having some sort of sauce with noodles here are a few options:

Pinot Blanc

Sancerre or Pouilly-Fume

These are all whites.

1431397[/snapback]

From Twileys list, I would go with a Riesling and pick up a bottle of Viognier; both can be found inexpensively and are great with Thai.

Pinot Blanc

Sancerre or Pouilly-Fume

These are all whites.

1431397[/snapback]

Yes, I was going to say it needs to be a white. Thai food centers around "cool" foods (as it is always 90+ degrees, 90%+ humidity), and while their food does have a "spicyness" to it, they include fresh veggies and other types of food meant to whet the pallate to cool you off.

That said, white's the way to go. Probably the more "crisp", the better.

Reisling may be too sweet, IMO. Chardonnay, too heavy (assuming noodles are a main portion of the meal).

I would suggest a Pinot. Light and crisp. :D

Riesling (Germany, California, washington, or alsacian)

Sancerre or Pouilly-Fume

and i'd add gamay rouge, beaujolais, and even  *cough* white zinfindel (only time i'd really ever think about it)

These are all whites.

1431397[/snapback]

lol

i meant to add gwerztraminer

i think a riesling is the way to go......

ps- i just got a bottle of the kessler 03. was good again... perfect for summer... a little pear and green apple, not too sweet.

lol

i meant to add gwerztraminer

i think a riesling is the way to go......

ps- i just got a bottle of the kessler 03.  was good again... perfect for summer... a little pear and green apple, not too sweet.

1431683[/snapback]

You will do well with either choice.

Or you could bring a few bottles of Asti Spumante :D

Do they offer a free jar of vaseline with every purchase??

1440662[/snapback]

This is the same store that raised their price on the Insignia by $40 because people started calling about it once it was released online as the #1 wine. The guy didn't even know why people were calling but he assumed there had to be some reason. :D

This is the same store that raised their price on the Insignia by $40 because people started calling about it once it was released online as the #1 wine. The guy didn't even know why people were calling but he assumed there had to be some reason.  :D

1440773[/snapback]

He probably bia tches about the COSCO's and large liqour stores taking away business from the mom and pop stores! If I could I would by all my wine on the internet or mailing lists... but we have Applejack's the Worlds largest wine and liqour store in our backyard!! :D They have some awesome prices! But so does COSCO, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.