[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favorite Rock Lead Singer

nuke'em ttg

:D +1, and overall i'd have to say i LIKE led zep...but plant can get a little tiresome.  plus, he spawned geddy lee, so there's that as well... :D

1447459[/snapback]

Agree on Geddy Lee. :D

1447693[/snapback]

I love Rush! Plus, you gotta love his work with Bob and Doug MacKenzie on the Great White North.

TAKE OFF! :D

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if we're getting technical, i think "lead singer" implies being part of a band...and dylan (and several others mentioned) don't really fit that description.

1449055[/snapback]

You - getting technical? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.

I think he does, most of the time.  It's a long time since Dylan did an unplugged solo tour, as far as I know, so he is fronting a band, even if not The Band.

1449108[/snapback]

i dunno, maybe i'm splitting hairs...but the question is favorite lead singer, not favorite vocalist. having a backup band and being the "lead singer" IN a band aren't the same thing. to me, "lead singer" implies your name isn't on the marquee.

i dunno, maybe i'm splitting hairs...but the question is favorite lead singer, not favorite vocalist.  having a backup band and being the "lead singer" IN a band aren't the same thing.  to me, "lead singer" implies your name isn't on the marquee.

1449386[/snapback]

All this could have been avoided if someone had answered my initial question in this thread.....

i dunno, maybe i'm splitting hairs...but the question is favorite lead singer, not favorite vocalist.  having a backup band and being the "lead singer" IN a band aren't the same thing.  to me, "lead singer" implies your name isn't on the marquee.

1449386[/snapback]

OK, fair enough. That would give the heave-ho to Billy Joel, Elton John, Rod Stewart and anyone else that tours / records under their own name, so the question is "Who's your favorite rock BAND lead singer who doesn't have (and never did have) his/her name on the Ticketmaster tix?".

So we're back to Robert Calvert, Ian Curtis and Robert Plant then. :D

Edited by Ursa Majoris

OK, fair enough.  That would give the heave-ho to Billy Joel, Elton John, Rod Stewart and anyone else that tours / records under their own name, so the question is "Who's your favorite rock BAND lead singer who doesn't have (and never did have) his/her name on the Ticketmaster tix?".

So we're back to Robert Calvert, Ian Curtis and Robert Plant then.  :D

1449550[/snapback]

Somebody already said it, but Bruce Dickenson deserves mention.

fist name that came to mind was Chris Cornell. Dude has an awesome voice. Eddie vetter has a strong voice as well and Pearl Jam sounds as good live as they do in the studio.

As far as women go, I have to say that Annie Lenox was the first one I thought of. I can see where one would like Natalie Merchant though. Also like Fiona Apple's voice. But a sleeper who is absolutleyfreakingamazing is Bonnie Rait.

1448620[/snapback]

Eddie had a great voice, still does, but the last few albums makes me think he has lost alot of the power in his voice as the music tends to overwhelm his vocals. Read on the Pearl Jam board others say the same thing and that it's related to too much smoking.

This thread says to me, "If you were starting a band, who would you want to be your frontman."

My top three choices would be:

Freddie Mercury

Sammy Hagar

Paul Stanley

All have incredible energy, charisma, and good voices. Freddie was just so darn good. And please note that I stuck to the original criteria of "Favorite ROCK lead singer."

Strange, nobody has mentioned Joey Ramone.

1449668[/snapback]

Thats a good catch but he doesn't really stand out in the "rock out with your manhood out sense (and it may not be coincedental that The Ramones are better than 90% of the bands on this thread)."

Anyone say Axl yet?

Sorry ... couldn't pick one.  But here are a few vocalists that I thoroughly enjoy that haven't been mentioned much yet, if at all (in alphabetical order):

Male:

Bono

Marc Cohn

Harry Connick Jr

Neil Diamond

Adam Duritz

Chris Isaacs

Dave Matthews

John Mayer

Chris Robinson

Eddie Vedder

Female:

Christine Dente

Norah Jones

Sade

1448651[/snapback]

:D Dave Matthews possibly and Eddie Vedder yeah...but Chris Isaacs?

:D  :D

Good stuff.  :D

1449120[/snapback]

Like that? I ruffled some ol' skooled feathers. :D

so the question is "Who's your favorite rock BAND lead singer who doesn't have (and never did have) his/her name on the Ticketmaster tix?".

1449550[/snapback]

"lead singer" seems pretty straightforward to me :D

That would give the heave-ho to Billy Joel, Elton John, Rod Stewart and anyone else that tours / records under their own name

look on the bright side...it also eliminates dave matthews and brentspastic.

(dagummit i just couldn't resist :D)

Wow, all the way to page five, and not a single mention for:

Greg Allman

Paul Rodgers

Bob Seger

or

Vanilli

1450727[/snapback]

Nice call on Bob Seger , I like listening to his singing - not refined by any means, but I like the raw energy (similar to Janis maybe?). I've always felt that Fire Down Below never got its due, great tune IMHO.

Nice call on Bob Seger , I like listening to his singing - not refined by any means, but I like the raw energy

1450738[/snapback]

the "raw energy" of bob seger's singing is about the same as the "raw energy" in my colon the morning after i eat at a chinese buffet. in my very humble opinion, of course. :D

the "raw energy" of bob seger's singing is about the same as the "raw energy" in my colon the morning after i eat at a chinese buffet.  in my very humble opinion, of course.  :D

1450745[/snapback]

Nice illustration. :D My raw energy sound after a chinese buffet sounds more like Axl Rose singing the National Anthem after a night of boozin and a pack of Marlboro Reds.

the ramones are like the denver offensive line.  if you single one out for illegal chop blocking, it's like you're doing them a disservice.

1450212[/snapback]

fixed

the "raw energy" of bob seger's singing is about the same as the "raw energy" in my colon the morning after i eat at a chinese buffet.  in my very humble opinion, of course.  :D

1450745[/snapback]

Isn't usually anything "humble" about your opinions.

I'd rather listen to myself dry heave than Bob Dylan.

1449124[/snapback]

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. No matter how warped it may be.

The question before the board wasn't who is TimC's or EnD's favorite male singer...

I happen to like Dylan very much. I am sure you like people that have voices that would grate on my nerves. Each to his/her own.

:D Sky is a legend around here and could probably whip yer arss like Chuck Norris gave to the Abonible Snowman. He gets to like who he likes.

1448990[/snapback]

LOL

EnD and I go way back.... he is well aware of who I am and I am well aware of who he is.....

Appreciate it..... but EnD is okay... and it wasn't like he jumped with both feet. :D