[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going to New York City....

Goopster24

So my best buddy and I have planned a trip to New York City to go see a Yankees-Braves game and go see the NBA Draft at The Garden. Those are the main things on the agenda and I'm looking for what is great to see or do in New York City. Thanks for all help.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my best buddy and I have planned a trip to New York City to go see a Yankees-Braves game and go see the NBA Draft at The Garden. Those are the main things on the agenda and I'm looking for what is great to see or do in New York City. Thanks for all help.

what are you interested in doing? touristy stuff like the empire state building, or cultural stuff like broadway and museums? what's your budget? you looking for pricy restaurants or cheap (but still good) food?

Edited by montster

what are you interested in doing? touristy stuff like the empire state building, or cultural stuff like broadway and museums? what's your budget? you looking for pricy restaurants or cheap (but still good) food?

I mean anything is cool man. We are two guys about to go to college and just looking for anything fun to do. Price range is whatever for now; I just want to see what is out there. I have been to New York City a couple of times but that was with family.

One place to eat that you guys(football fans) might think is cool is Shula's. It is a steakhouse in the Westin near Times Square. Inside, the theme of the decor is the Dolphins perfect season. There are big pics and murals on the wall of some of the players and Shula of course. The a la carte menu is printed on a football that the server brings out and sets on a kicking tee on your table. My wife and I ate there when we were in NY two summers ago. We both thought it was pretty cool and the food was good, too. Bill was well over $100 for the two of us, so it aint cheap but nothing in NY really is. Our server told us it is a popular spot with the pro athletes when they are in town, too, so you may bump into some big shots if you go there. Might be something worth checking out. Have a good time.

One place to eat that you guys(football fans) might think is cool is Shula's. It is a steakhouse in the Westin near Times Square. Inside, the theme of the decor is the Dolphins perfect season. There are big pics and murals on the wall of some of the players and Shula of course. The a la carte menu is printed on a football that the server brings out and sets on a kicking tee on your table. My wife and I ate there when we were in NY two summers ago. We both thought it was pretty cool and the food was good, too. Bill was well over $100 for the two of us, so it aint cheap but nothing in NY really is. Our server told us it is a popular spot with the pro athletes when they are in town, too, so you may bump into some big shots if you go there. Might be something worth checking out. Have a good time.

We will try and check this out, thanks for the info.

I mean anything is cool man. We are two guys about to go to college and just looking for anything fun to do. Price range is whatever for now; I just want to see what is out there. I have been to New York City a couple of times but that was with family.

for pizza, try john's pizzeria. wood-fired pizza, not expensive and really good. it's in the west village, easy to get to by subway, tons of other places to eat in the area. not too touristy and a cool area.

you can hang out in central park. be sure to get a dirty-water dog from the hot dog cart. good for hot-chick watching, especially this time of year. :D and it's cheap!

you could also try pommes frites. they make belgian fries and put them in this huge cone, and they've got a ton of dipping sauces. the fries are really good. plus next door is this collectibles shop with all these cool old toys.

if you've got some money to spend, you guys would probably like "avenue q" (kind of like a raunchy "sesame street," and really funny) or "spamalot" (which i haven't seen, but friends have said it's hilarious). you can maybe score some same-day cheap tickets at the TKTS booth, but those are popular shows, so not sure.

hope that helps.

for pizza, try john's pizzeria. wood-fired pizza, not expensive and really good. it's in the west village, easy to get to by subway, tons of other places to eat in the area. not too touristy and a cool area.

you can hang out in central park. be sure to get a dirty-water dog from the hot dog cart. good for hot-chick watching, especially this time of year. :D and it's cheap!

you could also try pommes frites. they make belgian fries and put them in this huge cone, and they've got a ton of dipping sauces. the fries are really good. plus next door is this collectibles shop with all these cool old toys.

if you've got some money to spend, you guys would probably like "avenue q" (kind of like a raunchy "sesame street," and really funny) or "spamalot" (which i haven't seen, but friends have said it's hilarious). you can maybe score some same-day cheap tickets at the TKTS booth, but those are popular shows, so not sure.

hope that helps.

Thank you very much man, I really appreciate the info.

I've been to New York many times. The Broadway shows are a must-see if you like that sort of thing, but most of the time you have to get your tickets in advance to get the best prices. Otherwise, there is a place in Times Square (? name, maybe ArtsTix) where you can buy same-day tickets, but you have to get there early because they sell out fast!

If theater is not your thing, there are SO many places to see....The New York Stock Exchange, Wall Street, Soho, Greenwich Village, The UN Building, Radio City Music Hall, Lincoln Center, Rockefeller Center, The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the Staten Island Ferry...to name a few.

There's obviously the Mets and Yankees to see too.

If you like deli dining, there is no finer place in the world for it. My wife and I hit the Stage Deli in Times Square every time we go to NYC, but there are too many other good delis to name. Take your pick.

You cannot be bored visiting NYC. It's impossible.

Edited by Chargerz

I've been to New York many times. The Broadway shows are a must-see if you like that sort of thing, but most of the time you have to get your tickets in advance to get the best prices. Otherwise, there is a place in Times Square (? name, maybe ArtsTix) where you can buy same-day tickets, but you have to get there early because they sell out fast!

If theater is not your thing, there are SO many places to see....The New York Stock Exchange, Wall Street, Soho, Greenwich Village, The UN Building, Radio City Music Hall, Lincoln Center, Rockefeller Center, The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the Staten Island Ferry...to name a few.

There's obviously the Mets and Yankees to see too.

If you like deli dining, there is no finer place in the world for it. My wife and I hit the Stage Deli in Times Square every time we go to NYC, but there are too many other good delis to name. Take your pick.

You cannot be bored visiting NYC. It's impossible.

Hey man, thanks for the advice. Yeah, we don't expect to be bored. We are staying right next to MSG so it should be fun. And we already got tix to the Braves-Yankees game. It should be a lot of fun.

Hey man, thanks for the advice. Yeah, we don't expect to be bored. We are staying right next to MSG so it should be fun. And we already got tix to the Braves-Yankees game. It should be a lot of fun.

you plan on taking the subway? best and cheapest way to get around.

also, a block from the garden is soul fixins, this soul-food place. great bbq and fried chicken, corn bread, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, peach cobbler and home-made lemonade. pretty inexpensive, too.

I would recommend things that you can not see anywhere else:

1) The Met. Fantastic museum. Pay what you can afford (though it's really hard to just give them a few bucks) Since it can be so cheap, you don't need to spend a huge amount of time there.

2) central park. There are parks everywhere. There are few parks like this. Good people watching (remember fine line between people watchin and stalking)

3) china town. Of course many other cities have china towns. Not sure where you are comng from. The Vietnamese restaurants are fantastic and very very cheap. on a sunday you can have dim sum brunch, with all those carts going by

4) In my mind a must see is ellis Island where most immigrants came to the US from. Very moving, cool little boat ride. Get a great view of the city.

Let me know where you are staying so that I can recommend some eats in your neighborhood

I would recommend things that you can not see anywhere else:

1) The Met. Fantastic museum. Pay what you can afford (though it's really hard to just give them a few bucks) Since it can be so cheap, you don't need to spend a huge amount of time there.

2) central park. There are parks everywhere. There are few parks like this. Good people watching (remember fine line between people watchin and stalking)

3) china town. Of course many other cities have china towns. Not sure where you are comng from. The Vietnamese restaurants are fantastic and very very cheap. on a sunday you can have dim sum brunch, with all those carts going by

4) In my mind a must see is ellis Island where most immigrants came to the US from. Very moving, cool little boat ride. Get a great view of the city.

Let me know where you are staying so that I can recommend some eats in your neighborhood

We are staying right next to MSG, in the city. The Ramada New Yorker I think it is called.

you plan on taking the subway? best and cheapest way to get around.

also, a block from the garden is soul fixins, this soul-food place. great bbq and fried chicken, corn bread, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, peach cobbler and home-made lemonade. pretty inexpensive, too.

Yeah, the subway is a definite must. I was just checking this "soul fixins" place; it looks pretty good man, thanks for the info.