[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sleeper RB's..

Avernus

What is the definition of 'sleeper RB' in this case?

To me, a sleeper RB is one that can put up good RB2 and possibly RB1 numbers that can be had in the third round or later.

Sleepers at RB are so very different than sleepers at other positions, because RB gets so much attention. I prefer to call them 'value' RBs. Players like Jamal Lewis, Corey Dillon and Brian Westbrook, who will be available later but have the potential to put up big numbers.

Once you get past the starting RBs, then all people are doing is specualting about who might get injured, who might lose a job, and all that...which is fine for maybe rounds 8-whatever, but I hate doing that in the first several rounds.

Good post Caveman_Nick. :D

I guess the RB's I listed are the round 8 & later type RB's, while the majority of RB's being listed in this post are what you termed to be the 'value' RBs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, a sleeper RB is one that can put up good RB2 and possibly RB1 numbers that can be had in the third round or later.

Sleepers at RB are so very different than sleepers at other positions, because RB gets so much attention. I prefer to call them 'value' RBs. Players like Jamal Lewis, Corey Dillon and Brian Westbrook, who will be available later but have the potential to put up big numbers.

Once you get past the starting RBs, then all people are doing is specualting about who might get injured, who might lose a job, and all that...which is fine for maybe rounds 8-whatever, but I hate doing that in the first several rounds.

I completely agree. I see D. Rhodes being one of those players.

I am putting up the names of backups who would make the most out of a backup role if someone were to get injured...

the kind of RB you can grab late in a draft if you don't have a worthy handcuff...or if someone already drafted your handcuff...

I love DeAngelo Williams and think he can be a star in this league. He may not get his chance the first couple of weeks but when Foster gets hurt by week 6 or so, DeAngelo can step in and not look back.

Chester Taylor although it looks to be a good fit with him going to Minnesota and he has alway done well in the change of pace role, he has not really done anything as a feature back. I think alot of people have him ranked in and around the 15 spot which is probably right.

Rueben Droughns is a good solid back and with a lot of carries could work his way in or around the top 10.

I also really like Frank Gore, as long as he can stay healthy. He was terrifick in Miami when healthy and played very well last year. He is defiinitely the best 9er RB, although I know that isn't saying a whole lot.

with that OL and TRichardson...I think he'll crack top 10...

This is a great topic Avernus.

I don't think some of the names that have been listed as sleepers really qualify.

I mean does the 1st string RB of the Browns or Vikings really rate sleeper status? 1st round drafted RB's?

Guys I think could come on, in order.

Samkon Gado (Green is supposedly still the #1 & then a coin flip thereafter).

Marion Barber.

Frank Gore.

Michael "The Burner" Turner.

Ladell Betts.

to me and you they aren't sleepers....but to the average fantasy owner....they'll go around the 5th round...and can finish in the top 10 IMO....both Droughns and CTaylor...

Maybe a clearer post would have been to ask, "If every starting RB in the NFL got hurt in the same week, and all would be OUT for the rest of the season, which backup would stand to have the best season from that point forward?"

Maybe a clearer post would have been to ask, "If every starting RB in the NFL got hurt in the same week, and all would be OUT for the rest of the season, which backup would stand to have the best season from that point forward?"

it's a bit lengthy....

Thanks Avernus for making this it's own thread.

I think this is one of the underated methods to winning a championship. And more than ever, we see RBBCs popping up, which means finding stud value at RB can be more difficult. Very few RBs will start 16 games (according to recent history) and a good amount if second-half studs are found within the pool we know more commonly as "handcuffs."

Criteria I look for:

1. A team that already has a strong running game (o-line, tendancy to run)

2. Teams with old/small/injury prone starters

DeAngelo Williams - I actually really like Foster as a playmaker and passcatcher, but snagging Williams in the later rounds could prove valuable. Carolina has a great running game, great o line, and a deep threat (Smith) to keep the Ds busy. We all know Foster is small and fragile, and often used more a pass catcher. I see DeAngelo getting the ball occasionally right from the get go, and then potentially seeing some goal line carries and maybe 20-30 carries depending on Foster's health.

Marion Barber - I just don't see Julius playing anything close to 16 games - a hunch. Barber has shown his value near the goal line and taking by lots of reps. TO will be around to take some pressure off. The Cowboys are another team that generally can produce solid numbers for their RBs.

TJ Ducket - I feel as though this guy is always drafted late, but serves as nothing worse/better than a bye week fill in. He seems to always have a couple monster games, and the aging Dunn (31), could soon be done. Not something to bank on, but maybe worth consideration.

Ryan Moats - See a trend here? We saw a little bit of Moats last year and Westy is going to be shoudering even more load than in the past. The Eagles might be forced to turn more to the run game, both due to criticism and lack of talent at WR. Westy has skills, but I can imagine he might be wearing down fast this year.

Edited by Roo

I have heard more than one person locally talking about how out of shape Taylor looked when showing up for the workouts with the Vikes. I heard he was quite overweight...can't confirm that, but thought I'd mention it. For those getting jazzed about him, maybe you should do some digging on that...I plan to. Seems to me that Mewelde Moore is the kind of guy that would fit the Childress offensive scheme. I dunno. Should know more in July.

Here is my list of deep sleepers

1. Marion Barber....with Jones showing us so far that he is a health risk you have to look at Barber when the starters are gone. the Cowboys have IMO the 2nd easiest schedule for RB's this year and if Barber gets into the lineup his recieving yards alone should make him consistant, if he runs well too, the sky is the world for him.

2.Corey Dillon... I think many are considering him done. I think with his easy schedule and being on a excellent team like the Patriots the only thing that can stop him this year is injury.

3.Dominic Rhodes..although I think he will be taken(in most drafts) higher than I will take him, I think his chances of being the outright number 1 RB for the Colts is better than Addai's.

4.Greg Jones.. it is a crapshoot in Jville right now. but of what they got, I think Jones stays healthy enough and gets more playing time than any of their other backs and with a easy running schedule and excellent defensive team they should consistantly run the ball all year.

5.Deangelo Williams...It is hard to see Foster staying healthy..that leaves Williams by default. although I don't think he is the back many others do..I do think he is in a great situation. that and a chance to play is all you need in this league to put up some numbers.

I have heard more than one person locally talking about how out of shape Taylor looked when showing up for the workouts with the Vikes. I heard he was quite overweight...can't confirm that, but thought I'd mention it. For those getting jazzed about him, maybe you should do some digging on that...I plan to. Seems to me that Mewelde Moore is the kind of guy that would fit the Childress offensive scheme. I dunno. Should know more in July.

yeah...it's still June...

Mewelde Moore has to learn how to do 3 things

1. stay healthy

2. Pass block

3. pass block...

he is nothing more than a kick returner and a 3rd down back..

Here is my list of deep sleepers

1. Marion Barber....with Jones showing us so far that he is a health risk you have to look at Barber when the starters are gone. the Cowboys have IMO the 2nd easiest schedule for RB's this year and if Barber gets into the lineup his recieving yards alone should make him consistant, if he runs well too, the sky is the world for him.

2.Corey Dillon... I think many are considering him done. I think with his easy schedule and being on a excellent team like the Patriots the only thing that can stop him this year is injury.

3.Dominic Rhodes..although I think he will be taken(in most drafts) higher than I will take him, I think his chances of being the outright number 1 RB for the Colts is better than Addai's.

4.Greg Jones.. it is a crapshoot in Jville right now. but of what they got, I think Jones stays healthy enough and gets more playing time than any of their other backs and with a easy running schedule and excellent defensive team they should consistantly run the ball all year.

5.Deangelo Williams...It is hard to see Foster staying healthy..that leaves Williams by default. although I don't think he is the back many others do..I do think he is in a great situation. that and a chance to play is all you need in this league to put up some numbers.

Greg Jones can be real good IMO..

...in addition to some of the players above (Houston, Rhodes, Barber, etc)...

Frank Gore? ...beats out Hicks and Barlow and gets most of the snaps...

Chris Brown? ...White stays out of shape and Henry is a resounding 2nd stringer...

Vernand Morency? ... Dom Davis's knee stays all out of whack...

Sam Gado? ... Ahman Green is not the same back and Davenport can't stay healthy...

Tatum Bell? ... Dayne? Seriously?

Great call! :D I was just about to name 4 of your 5 (no Morency on my list). I think Gore has a fantastic chance, afterall he played at the U.

Chris Brown has been nothing but amazing in probably 90% of the games he is healthy. If being the big word, but still, this guy has proven to be very dominant. Like LJ dominant. In 2004, he would get 100 and a touch by half then sit because of his "nagging" injuries.

A Denver RB will produce (this is fact). Who will it be? My guess is Bell.

I agree that Chester Taylor could be a nice surprise this year with the addition of Steve Hutchinson and Matt Birk returning from injury last year. Taylor is a deceptively quick back with power and could post solid numbers as a feature back if given a solid amount of work each game.

But you also have to remember that they have a goal-line "vulture back" in Ciatrick Fason who could steal fantasy numbers away from Taylor in the TD department. I've read some reports that say that Coach Childress likes Fason alot around the goal line and that scares me enough to wait a few round more before I pick him up.

But that could be speculation from their staff. But if its true, it hurts Taylor's overall value somewhat.

I agree that Chester Taylor could be a nice surprise this year with the addition of Steve Hutchinson and Matt Birk returning from injury last year. Taylor is a deceptively quick back with power and could post solid numbers as a feature back if given a solid amount of work each game.

But you also have to remember that they have a goal-line "vulture back" in Ciatrick Fason who could steal fantasy numbers away from Taylor in the TD department. I've read some reports that say that Coach Childress likes Fason alot around the goal line and that scares me enough to wait a few round more before I pick him up.

But that could be speculation from their staff. But if its true, it hurts Taylor's overall value somewhat.

don't forget Tony Richardson at FB...he was a monster for LJ....

Najeh Davenport cause I don't have any faith in Green's hammy. But Davenport is a big powerful runner that can get you multiple TD games. When GB had a real stout OL a few years back, this guy was an absolute beast. I don't think the line is as good anymore which is a minus and he's always injured so you're not getting him every week. But when the tundra gets frozen, GB runs it at you. Could be a late season boost ala Gado last year. He's worthy of a late pick

I know Droughns is good and all... but... doesn't he play against PIT, CIN and BAL twice? That's 6 games he'll probably won't put up much points.

I like:

White

Gore

Barber III

G Jones

Parker

bengals cant exactly stop the run that great....ravens defense isn't getting better...it appears to be going backwards every year.....

I really think C. Taylor could have a nice season. I know he hasn't been "the guy before" but he really hasn't been given the chance. He's the kind of risk, high reward I'll go after this year.

Another RB to watch during preseason is C. Cobbs with Denver. For some reason they are very high on him. He's currently running #3, but if he moves up the ladder at all, he could be in for a nice season.

Brandon Jacobs, if Tiki falters, is another sleeper back that could really to well if given the chance. He's a bigger back that runs really hard and has shown some speed.