[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sleeper RB's..

Avernus

pick 5 RB's you think will be in the top 10 or near it by seasons end....but will put on a strong performance down the stretch due to a likely injury...

in no order

Chester Taylor

DeAngelo Williams

Laurence Maroney

Chris Perry

Reuben Droughns (edit: I like this guy alot heading into the season with the additions to the OL and defense that will allow him to get plenty of carries....)

other notables: Brian Calhoun, Vernand Morency(why is he 3rd string :???: ), Ryan Moats and Cedric Houston

Edited by Avernus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where you're going with these guys maybe coming on strong at the end of the year but I wouldn't say any of these (except for maybe Chester Taylor) being close to top 10.

I think he may have meant to say NOT in the top-10, but will finish strong with "top-10 like numbers". :D

I think he may have meant to say NOT in the top-10, but will finish strong with "top-10 like numbers". :D

I should have put Droughns.....

but there are plenty of injuries during the course of the season....and I don't mean all of these guys...but these guys have the best chance at coming in and looming around the top 10....

I should have put Droughns.....

but there are plenty of injuries during the course of the season....and I don't mean all of these guys...but these guys have the best chance at coming in and looming around the top 10....

I think Droughns could be a great value pick. I have seen him go all over the place lately though.

I think Droughns could be a great value pick. I have seen him go all over the place lately though.

nabbing him and CTaylor after taking a stud back in the 1st would solidify my backfield....

if I had LT2 or LJ....and then got both of them or one of them and a WR...this would be pure greatness..

nabbing him and CTaylor after taking a stud back in the 1st would solidify my backfield....

if I had LT2 or LJ....and then got both of them or one of them and a WR...this would be pure greatness..

I took Portis/Westy/RMoss with my first three picks and if Droughns somehow falls to 4.06, I would be pretty happy with that backfield :D

Truer words haven't been spoken in quite some time....

I LOVE Rueben Droughns. Have since Oregon. I also think he is VERY good and underrated as a talent. However, he still plays for the Browns. Because he doesn't catch the ball, and the Browns will still be not very good, he is going to have a couple games where he does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. He'll be awesome in the games in which the Browns have a chance to win. He's going to have a good year, but I need consistency just as much as upside in a #2 RB, so I would opt for someone else unless he somehow slid even further than the low point I would take him at.

Not sure they match your criteria exactly, but here are my sleepers

1. Reggie Bush--if he performs, he will play, and play alot! He will, and, he will. Don't forget: LT once caught 100 passes from Brees. I personally think the chances are high that we are about to see something truly "great".

2. Cedric Benson--every day that Thomas Jones stays away, Cedric's immediate future becomes brighter and brighter. If Cedric showed enough in the mini-camps to get the trust of the coaches and players, he may actually get a legitament shot being the man. I don't know that he's as talented as Brown and Cadillac, but there are a lot of carries to be had in Chicago, and with their stellar defense , Benson is going to put up good #'s once he becomes the man..

I like C.Taylor, even more in keeper leagues. 95% of starting RB's are startable in fantasy leagues. There's not many that are truly that man. He is one.

I also like Fred Taylor this year. His age and wear have never been questioned this intensely, and I think he'll respond well. The TD's have got to go up, just out of karma's sake.

Edited by Seahawks21

I LOVE Rueben Droughns. Have since Oregon. I also think he is VERY good and underrated as a talent. However, he still plays for the Browns. Because he doesn't catch the ball, and the Browns will still be not very good, he is going to have a couple games where he does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. He'll be awesome in the games in which the Browns have a chance to win. He's going to have a good year, but I need consistency just as much as upside in a #2 RB, so I would opt for someone else unless he somehow slid even further than the low point I would take him at.

Huh? He had 39 receptions last year (just under 2.5 rpg, good for 11th best RB in terms of receptions, 6th best in terms of receiving yards) and that was with Dilfer and then the rookie Frye throwing the ball. With a little more consistency at the QB position, those receptions/yards could conceivably rise in '06 and beyond.

Sorry, try again.

Huh? He had 39 receptions last year (just under 2.5 rpg, good for 11th best RB in terms of receptions, 6th best in terms of receiving yards) and that was with Dilfer and then the rookie Frye throwing the ball. With a little more consistency at the QB position, those receptions/yards could conceivably rise in '06 and beyond.

Sorry, try again.

yeah, he catches the ball much like a well-rounded FB....plus he can run you over....

Considering I was just able to get Dominick Rhodes at the end of the 8th round in the latest mock draft, I'd have to pronounce him a sleeper pick this year. He's no Edge, but he is the presumable starting RB on a high powered Colts offense.

...in addition to some of the players above (Houston, Rhodes, Barber, etc)...

Frank Gore? ...beats out Hicks and Barlow and gets most of the snaps...

Chris Brown? ...White stays out of shape and Henry is a resounding 2nd stringer...

Vernand Morency? ... Dom Davis's knee stays all out of whack...

Sam Gado? ... Ahman Green is not the same back and Davenport can't stay healthy...

Tatum Bell? ... Dayne? Seriously?

Sorry, try again.

Okay, don't mind if I do. Most of those numbers were with Dilfer leading the offense. Veteran QB's are typically much better at getting the ball to their backs, due to their ability to get through their progressions quickly, then dump to their check-off. Young QB's, especially those with + athletic ability like Frye tend to go for too many big plays and take too many sacks, rather than simply dumping the ball to a bull like Droughns. Any better??

That said, running backs on bad teams will bite you in the booty at some point. Droughns' ability to catch the ball isn't high enough to offset this. Dangit, if I was right, it really would've helped my argument.

This is a great topic Avernus.

I don't think some of the names that have been listed as sleepers really qualify.

I mean does the 1st string RB of the Browns or Vikings really rate sleeper status? 1st round drafted RB's?

Guys I think could come on, in order.

Samkon Gado (Green is supposedly still the #1 & then a coin flip thereafter).

Marion Barber.

Frank Gore.

Michael "The Burner" Turner.

Ladell Betts.

other notables: Brian Calhoun, Vernand Morency(why is he 3rd string :???: ), Ryan Moats and Cedric Houston

Forget about Morency until his contract is up and he switches teams. Lots of talent, but doesn't fit with what Houston is trying to run.

What is the definition of 'sleeper RB' in this case?

To me, a sleeper RB is one that can put up good RB2 and possibly RB1 numbers that can be had in the third round or later.

Sleepers at RB are so very different than sleepers at other positions, because RB gets so much attention. I prefer to call them 'value' RBs. Players like Jamal Lewis, Corey Dillon and Brian Westbrook, who will be available later but have the potential to put up big numbers.

Once you get past the starting RBs, then all people are doing is specualting about who might get injured, who might lose a job, and all that...which is fine for maybe rounds 8-whatever, but I hate doing that in the first several rounds.

I love DeAngelo Williams and think he can be a star in this league. He may not get his chance the first couple of weeks but when Foster gets hurt by week 6 or so, DeAngelo can step in and not look back.

Chester Taylor although it looks to be a good fit with him going to Minnesota and he has alway done well in the change of pace role, he has not really done anything as a feature back. I think alot of people have him ranked in and around the 15 spot which is probably right.

Rueben Droughns is a good solid back and with a lot of carries could work his way in or around the top 10.

I also really like Frank Gore, as long as he can stay healthy. He was terrifick in Miami when healthy and played very well last year. He is defiinitely the best 9er RB, although I know that isn't saying a whole lot.