[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have Gout

justin

I've been getting gout for 15 years. Sometimes I can go 6 months w/ no attack and then it happens every week. Some meds cause mine. When the doc put me on a BP med, I couldn't get rid of it. He took me off and I haven't had a bad attack since then, April. Food & drink can cause it, but I have never been able to draw a paralell 'tween what I eat/ drink and attacks. I take Indocin when I feel it coming on. If I catch it early usually one dose is enough. But if I wait too long I'll need the meds for several days! My doc had a 27yo female w/ it. She was in great shape and used to get it frequently, which is very rare. There is a drug called Aluprinol that my cuz takes. He swears by it. But you have to be attack free for several weeks before going on it, as it initially raises the uric acid. Good Luck! I know your pain. Ask your doc for some Indocin for the flareups. It works for me fairly well even after 15 years.

I feel for you Justin, I have had it a few times...although it has been about 10 years or so since the last time I had it.

I have a feeling that all the uric acid is just building up somewhere in my body and one day the dam will burst and my big toe will just explode. :D

• 3 years later...

I have it as well, but my only attacks have come from drinking beer and eating hotdogs/brats...I drink wine, whiskey and tequila on occasion and have never had a problem with any of those. Food/alcohol high in purines (like shellfish, trout, spinach and beer) will cause your uric acid levels to go up and people with gout have trouble processing all of it.

And yep, feels like having hundreds of tiny needles in your joint...when it's in your big toe with all those nerves it's beyond painful...

I used to get it all the time and it is terribly painful. Doc put me on Allopurinol and I haven't had a flare up in years. Pretty cheap drug, too.

About $18.00 for a 2 months supply. I'd ask your doc about it.

Over the past few years, I've been able to manage the condition. I'll still get an attack (or "goutbreak") every now and then, but they are less severe due to my awareness. My doc has prescribed me with Colchicine, which I take when I feel an attack coming on. I completely altered my diet and basically gave up beer and red meat. I'll still have a steak once in a blue moon, because it's just to darn good, but I've really limited the intake of those foods traditionally higher in uric acid. About a year or two ago, I was getting attacks in my elbow and that had caught me off-guard. Prior to that, I was only accustomed to getting them in my foot.

I'd be happy to discuss it in detail with anyone interested in learning how to deal with it.

I may go on Allipurinol at some point, but as a user of that drug, you are required to take it twice a day, every day. As someone in their mid-30's, I'm trying to hold-off on relying on that, but recognize down the road, that it will likely be best for me.