[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LT or P.Manning

aftershx

Hi All,

I have the #3 pick this year. I know for a fact that LJ and S.Alexander are going 1 and 2.

I had Manning last year [picked at one] and was obviously a bit dissappointed.

I have never been a big LT fan even though at the end of the season he ends up being one of the most productive backs.

Thoughts on both

Manning is playing without Edge. Granted he will more likely pass a bit more but as I see it defenses came up with a semi-effective way to slow his offense down dropping 8 into coverage. He STILL ended up with great numbers but not the numbers he had in 04'. Not sure he'll ever have that much success again but still the concensus number 1 at QB.

Our league gives nice bonus's at 300 yrds passing and 100 yrds rushing. The league tends to score a bit more heavy on the QB side so you can see why I lean towards rolling the dice on Manning again. LT for some reason doesn't excite me. He doesn't get allot of 100yrd games but does score. He'll have two or three monster games but then will get 87yrds and 1 td the next.

On top we now have P. Rivers at QB which tells me they are going to stack the line. If the defenses don't they are insane. Let Rivers beat you not LT.

You can see which way I am leaning but I wanted to get some opinions .... I am in a keeper league and will be keeping C. Taylor so I have my #2 back. I won't see much at the 22nd as far as RB is concerned but can pick up a great WR maybe 2.

Any advice / opinions appreciated in advance !!!

No, No, and Hell no. Manning at #3 is a hugh waste. LT. no doubt. I wouldn't even take Manning in the 1st. rd.

No, No, and Hell no. Manning at #3 is a hugh waste. LT. no doubt. I wouldn't even take Manning in the 1st. rd.

Thanks for the reply but can anyone tell me why ? Here's our unique scoring system...

PASSING

PaTD - Passing TD Plus 6 points for a PaTD of 0 to 9 Yds

Plus 9 points for a PaTD of 10 to 34 Yds

Plus 12 points for a PaTD of 35 to 49 Yds

Plus 15 points for a PaTD of 50 to 100 Yds

PaYd - Passing Yards 0 - 199 PaYds = 1 point for every 10 PaYds

200 - 299 PaYds = 1.5 points for every 10 PaYds

300 - 349 PaYds = 2 points for every 10 PaYds

350 - 399 PaYds = 3 points for every 10 PaYds

400 - 500 PaYds = 5 points for every 10 PaYds

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 300+ PaYd

RUSHING

RuTD - Rushing TD Plus 6 points for a RuTD of 0 to 9 Yds

Plus 9 points for a RuTD of 10 to 34 Yds

Plus 12 points for a RuTD of 35 to 49 Yds

Plus 15 points for a RuTD of 50 to 100 Yds

RuYd - Rushing Yards 0 - 99 RuYds = 1 point for every 10 RuYds

100 - 149 RuYds = 3 points for every 10 RuYds

150 - 199 RuYds = 4 points for every 10 RuYds

200 - 400 RuYds = 5 points for every 10 RuYds

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 100+ RuYd

Fantasy totals in my league last year...

Manning 604pts.

LT 504pts.

Your 1st pick in the draft should be the best available player yes ?

Just would like some reasons that's all :D

Not even a choice, go with LT and never look back.

But with that scoring system and Peyton with more points WITH the so called down year he had, how can you say not a choice? I am VERY against drafting a QB early, but to get Peyton(who scored 100 more points during the season than LT) would be a decent choice.....

Your 1st pick in the draft should be the best available player yes ?

No! You should pick the TEAM that is the best available. So unless your entire fantasy team is made up of that first round pick, then your view shouldn't be so myopic. Manning may carry a significant portion of your team's weight all by himself, but if a lesser QB (say Brady) + LT2 accumulates more points under your scoring system them Manning + a lesser RB (say Kevin Jones), then you pass on Manning.

You've got to step back and look at more than just the 1st round to determine who is the best 1st round pick.

Edited by yo mama

But with that scoring system and Peyton with more points WITH the so called down year he had, how can you say not a choice? I am VERY against drafting a QB early, but to get Peyton(who scored 100 more points during the season than LT) would be a decent choice.....

Three reasons not to take Peyton #3: :D

1) I think the times-are-a-changin for the Colts. Dominic Rhodes ain't no Edge. And next in line is new guy Joseph Addai (sp?). Either way, defenses will focus on the passing game this year and not have to be concerned with the diverse attack they used to have.

2) QBs get banged up. Peyton has been a horse but how long can this last? You take a QB that early and you could pay dearly.

3) L.T. gets it done even when the whole world is trying to stop him. If you don't take the strong RB here, then what will you be left with in the 2nd round?

No! You should pick the TEAM that is the best available. So unless your entire fantasy team is made up entirely of your first round pick, then your view shouldn't be so myopic. Manning carry a significant portion of your team's weight all by himself, but if a lesser QB (say Brady) + LT2 accumulates more points under your scoring system them Manning + a lesser RB (say Kevin Jones), then you pass on Manning.

You've got to step back and look at more than just the 1st round to determine who is the best 1st round pick.

Agreed....but I am looking at having C.Taylor [no stud of course] due to my keeper...

So far then I'd have ..

Manning

C.Taylor and probably a pick of either K.Jones,W.Parker or if i'm lucky D.Davis

Yuk I know but Manning can almost single handedly win a game. Then with the 3rd pick snatch a Fitz, bolden, wayne or harrison....

So I'd have

Manning

C.Taylor

Jones

Fitz

I also have the option of trading down for C.Palmer [someone else's keeper] and drafting a Portis or James but I am leary of Palmer...achiles is a nasty injury and I can see Palmer going down easily...

No! You should pick the TEAM that is the best available. So unless your entire fantasy team is made up of that first round pick, then your view shouldn't be so myopic. Manning may carry a significant portion of your team's weight all by himself, but if a lesser QB (say Brady) + LT2 accumulates more points under your scoring system them Manning + a lesser RB (say Kevin Jones), then you pass on Manning.

...I think you misquoted or misread yo mama's post:

Agreed....but I am looking at having C.Taylor [no stud of course] due to my keeper...

So far then I'd have ..

Manning

C.Taylor and probably a pick of either K.Jones,W.Parker or if i'm lucky D.Davis

Anyway, the clear answer here is:

With that messed up scoring system I would consider Manning but will manning score 100 more points than say the #2 or #3 QB? If LT has a larger gap between the RB you could get with your 2nd pick go with LM

LT's value relative to the #3 back should be MUCH larger than the gap between Manning and the QB below him; plus you can find productive QBs far later in the draft than productive RBs - Brady darn near matched Manning point for point last year and was the 14th QB drafted in one of my leagues.

Palmer will start by week two at the latest is what I have been hearing. If you have the ability to move down bring on Palmer and get a big time back, I would do that. You have a QB that in most scoring systems was #1 last year, and it was a knee and not the ankle. I think this gives you a stud QB, a solid RB1 and RB2 and leaves you open to move along your draft in a better position than just drafting Manning.

Palmer will start by week two at the latest is what I have been hearing. If you have the ability to move down bring on Palmer and get a big time back, I would do that. You have a QB that in most scoring systems was #1 last year, and it was a knee and not the ankle. I think this gives you a stud QB, a solid RB1 and RB2 and leaves you open to move along your draft in a better position than just drafting Manning.

Lynch, just out of curiosity, in looking at your roster are you in a 2 team league?

Lynch, just out of curiosity, in looking at your roster are you in a 2 team league?

Seriously. In a 12 team redraft league he'd have at least two 1st round and three 2nd round talents on his roster. But it looks like he's in a dynasty league, so it's possible to assemble a team like that if you drafted a few seasons back and got lucky.

Edited by yo mama

8 Team Local Dynasty. This is a league for a group of guys that I worked with. I drafted most of those players and then traded for Shaun Alexander and Steve Smith.

I drafted Steven Jackson, JJ Arringinton, and Kurt Warner and the traded JJ and Kurt for Portis and Roth then traded SJax, Portis, and Roth for Alexander, early last year.

I traded fro Steve Smith for several players to help a team that had injury issues.

Edited by lynch19

What he said. Oh, and uh LT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After posting this question and reading recently about Indi going towards more 3 WR sets....man that only spells pass, pass, pass......I wouldn't be surprised if they pass more than they ever have. I see them using Adai and the other 2 of the three headed monster to give Peyton's arm a rest.

Fantasy wise and especially in my league where we have bonuses for yardage TDs and going over 300yrds this is almost a no brainer added into that a favorable ease of schedule in the passing dept.

LT is great but again Peyton can almost win you a game on by himself and is more likely to do it on a consistant basis than LT...