[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

STL Run Defense

CardinalEmpire.com

Uhhhhh... he did? *skulks away to corner*

The reason I am asking is their matchup with San Fran next Sunday. I like Gore a lot after watching him bully the AZ D, but wasn't sure if that was a matter of the Cards run D being bad or Gore being that strong. He looked REALLY good. It's him, Chester Taylor v. CAR, or Dillon v. NYJ. Not trying to turn this into a WDIS, but jsut wondering how the respective D's looked.

Tatum Bell was able to put up consistent run numbers. That tells you what you are asking about the STL run D. The knock on T Bell, and one reason that he isn't the featured RB in DEN, is that he doesn't run through trash well and is easy to knock down with first contact. In fact, in his career, almost exactly half of T Bell's runs have been for 2 yds or less. Against STL, only 3 of T Bell's 15 runs were for 2 yds or less.

In short, STL doesn't get initial contact on RBs very close to the LoS, and if that is the case, the STL run D leaves a lot to be desired.

I must have saw a different game last night on TiVo. Defense looks to have improved greatly. Not saying they're a top tier DEF but they looked much better than years past.

+1 :D They managed to peel off a few long runs, which yielded the ypc number, but the fact that Denver didn't even enter STL territory until deep in the first half speaks volumes. That was BEFORE the picks.

HOMER ALERT-

I was at the game, and I agree that the D was MUCH improved, but that's not saying much because they were just gawd-awful the last few years.

It seemed like it was really feast or famine with them. They really shut down the running game almost entirely, but gave up several long runs over the course of the day. They either got the guy at the line of scrimmage or let him get 40 yards. Let's remember, though that Denver's running game is historically great.

Is this a great defense or just an aberration? We'll know soon. But they were impressive Sunday.

HOMER ALERT-

I was at the game, and I agree that the D was MUCH improved, but that's not saying much because they were just gawd-awful the last few years.

It seemed like it was really feast or famine with them. They really shut down the running game almost entirely, but gave up several long runs over the course of the day. They either got the guy at the line of scrimmage or let him get 40 yards. Let's remember, though that Denver's running game is historically great.

Is this a great defense or just an aberration? We'll know soon. But they were impressive Sunday.

Totally agree.

I would have been at the game but I was in Vegas drafting for the WCOFF and kickn' it with fellow Huddlers.

For those of you that don't frequent the tailgate, check out the thread "Vegas Arrival", a great time was had by all. And we got some free drinks out of DMD and WW. :D