[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Bush looks like he's in trouble

Swiss Cheezhead

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's obvious at all. What representation did he make? Was he periodically asked if he was in compliance with NCAA rules? I have no idea, but I don't see anything that amounts to a misrepresentation. Mere failure to comply with rules is not a misrepresentation unless/until the offender says "yes - I am in compliance and always have been." Unless there was such an affirmative representation, the NCAA had nothing to justifiably rely upon either.

I also don't see an intent to deceive. I see an intent to break a rule, which is entirely different.

If failure to comply with rules/laws was tantamount to fraud, why is the government not bringing fraud cases against everyone who violates laws?

Perhaps not every violation of a law injures another party whjo relied upon the first party being truthful?

Okay, since you obviously know law better than I do (no sarcasm intended or projected), would a university asking athletes to fill out a form periodically - say twice a year - stating that they are complying with NCAA guidelines meet the standard as far as: 1) Getting the university off the hook or at least reduced penalties, and 2) being able to recover against the offending athlete?

I think we are failing to remember that most of these athletes don't even get their degree. They either get injured, lose their scholarship, fail out themselves, or leave early. I remember JoePa a while back making a good point that most of the athletes come from poor backgrounds and that they "work" as many hours as any other work study program. I think the players should get some form of stipend because of what the university gets from them. It truly is like any other work study program; you are providng something to the university. Athletes provide more of a "service" than any other job on campus.

I think we are failing to remember that most of these athletes don't even get their degree. They either get injured, lose their scholarship, fail out themselves, or leave early. I remember JoePa a while back making a good point that most of the athletes come from poor backgrounds and that they "work" as many hours as any other work study program. I think the players should get some form of stipend because of what the university gets from them. It truly is like any other work study program; you are providng something to the university. Athletes provide more of a "service" than any other job on campus.

I have no problem with them getting stipends, but they still need to show up to class and EARN those degrees. And as far as I know, althetes are the only ones who get Rolexes and Escalades from their work-study programs.

Like people have said, I meant that athletes bring in more money for the school than any other job.

Are you serious? Please provide some facts that support your position. First off, athletics is not a "job". Secondly, funding generating from athletics is usually barely enough to self-sustain the athletic program, if it even does that. To suggest that athletics is the single biggest source of revenue for a university is preposterous.

Well graduation rates are a whole different beast to tame....

I wasn't really talking about graduation rates, but more of the unwillingness of the universities (coaches, professors, administrators) to enforce academic standards. It's nice to see schools like Notre Dame tell Johnny Bling-Bling to take a walk when he doesn't perform in the classroom, despite the fact that Bobby Bowden will be waiting with open arms.

Are you serious? Please provide some facts that support your position. First off, athletics is not a "job". Secondly, funding generating from athletics is usually barely enough to self-sustain the athletic program, if it even does that. To suggest that athletics is the single biggest source of revenue for a university is preposterous.

He didn't suggest that at all - he said they bring in more money then any other JOB, in other words individual. I would imagine tuition remains a Uni's biggest income, though the legalized robbery of dorms and books runs it close.

Perhaps not every violation of a law injures another party whjo relied upon the first party being truthful?

Okay, since you obviously know law better than I do (no sarcasm intended or projected), would a university asking athletes to fill out a form periodically - say twice a year - stating that they are complying with NCAA guidelines meet the standard as far as: 1) Getting the university off the hook or at least reduced penalties, and 2) being able to recover against the offending athlete?

I'd hope I know it fairly well - it's how I put food on the table, bro (although I'm in the real estate field).

Not every violation of law, but many would qualify. Anything crime causing damage to federally owned (or by any municipality for that matter) property or property that's federally insured would be an example.

Having them fill out a rep form would probably get you through the first prong of the fraud test (i.e. it would help them create a cause of action against the athletes), but there are still issues with the other prongs (showing avtual reliance and damage wouldn't be as easy as one would think). I don't see how it would get the universities off the hook at all, though - they're entirely responsible to police their own players. It would also be up the determination of the NCAA, which isn't a government body - they can do and/or rule pretty much whatever/however they like.

• 3 years later...
Given his character, I could see why you'd feel this way. Hell, he even got dumped by a trainwreck like Kardashian...

Is there any particular reason you are still on this crap other than to try to irritate me? Because otherwise you're just coming across as an ass. Where do you get your football info from, TMZ? Don't you have something better to do like maybe fill us in on the Bronco's RB situation this year? :wacko:

That's the last I'll say on this subject with you. You've obviously got an axe to grind here & I don't have the time or desire to be bothered with it.

ETA: I'm a bit short of patience this morning, so my apologies for that remark. No reason for name-calling, especially if you're just poking fun.

Edited by rajncajn

Is there any particular reason you are still on this crap other than to try to irritate me? Because otherwise you're just coming across as an ass. Where do you get your football info from, TMZ? Don't you have something better to do like maybe fill us in on the Bronco's RB situation this year? :wacko:

That's the last I'll say on this subject with you. You've obviously got an axe to grind here & I don't have the time or desire to be bothered with it.

ETA: I'm a bit short of patience this morning, so my apologies for that remark. No reason for name-calling, especially if you're just poking fun.

Sounds to me like you need a good Irish coffee...

:tup: