[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiki ripping into critics

rajncajn

Do you think that the same things would be said if Brett Favre were to announce that this is his last year playing football? :D

True that. Guys like Favre and Roger Clemens keep stringing their teams along until the last possible moment each year, not even providing the team with the knowledge of whether they need to prepare for a replacement or not. If Tiki really does walk away, at least the Giants have notice and a solid backup already on their roster. Just because he isn't doing what someone else might do if they were in his position, I don't understand why anyone would criticize him for his decision. :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be nice to be able to quit a job paying millions. Would think his maker might prefer he play another season and donate his pay to the less fortunate. The closest thing I've seen like that from a professional athlete is when Phil Mickelson announced he would donate any winnings from this year's New Orleans PGA event to the Katrina Fund.

Get your point, and while more guys could and should give back - there's plenty that do. Not sure Mickelson is the best example - donating his "winnings" from one event?!? Big deal, the guy makes millions every year! How about Warrick Dunn helping about 35 single moms buy homes over the last few years? Derrick Brooks "Brooks Bunch"? I think David Robinson does a ton down in San Antonio, and I'm sure guys here can (hopefully) name a bunch of others...

Also - pretty sure Tiki will still be making money post-NFL and can still give back whatever he wants.

Must be nice to be able to quit a job paying millions. Would think his maker might prefer he play another season and donate his pay to the less fortunate. The closest thing I've seen like that from a professional athlete is when Phil Mickelson announced he would donate any winnings from this year's New Orleans PGA event to the Katrina Fund.

Sorry Rocker, but if you ask me that argument is pretty short-sighted. I'm sure if you wouldn't have to dig very far to find out that Tiki is VERY active in helping the less fortunate. I don't see what playing an extra season would help there. What's to say he won't find a more lucrative deal once he retires with a sports network and what's to say he doesn't continue to help the less fortunate? If he's the type of man EVERYBODY says he is then he will.

Ding Ding Ding! Any more questions? :D

Irvin lives off of being a dumbass because he sure doesn't live off of being a good, knowledgable media guy.

I'm hoping for a day when the sports networks realize that having some dumbass on that only says crap to stir the pot only alienates the fans who are actually interested in hearing/seeing some good quality sports discussion. Prime example is Jim Rhome, I listen to ESPN radio in the morning, but when his show comes on I turn it off. For some reason "AAAAAAAGGGGGNNNNNNTTTTTTT" 10-20 times a show doesn't quite give me the sports fix I need. :D

Prime example is Jim Rhome, I listen to ESPN radio in the morning, but when his show comes on I turn it off. For some reason "AAAAAAAGGGGGNNNNNNTTTTTTT" 10-20 times a show doesn't quite give me the sports fix I need. :D

I actually sort of like Jim Rome (especially when he rips on people), but agree that the "human buzzer" sound is annoying as hell and I turn off my radio as well when he does it.

Get your point, and while more guys could and should give back - there's plenty that do. Not sure Mickelson is the best example - donating his "winnings" from one event?!? Big deal, the guy makes millions every year! How about Warrick Dunn helping about 35 single moms buy homes over the last few years? Derrick Brooks "Brooks Bunch"? I think David Robinson does a ton down in San Antonio, and I'm sure guys here can (hopefully) name a bunch of others...

Also - pretty sure Tiki will still be making money post-NFL and can still give back whatever he wants.

Tiki does give his share to charitable causes as do many athletes in all sports. Some don't have this publicized as much as others though. Bottom line, it's none of my or anyone elses business what people do or do not donate to different charities. It doesn't matter that athletes make the money they make, they get it and they're paid for what they do just like everyone that works for a living. All the people that think he should be donating a portion of his salary back to some cause, follow suit. Put your money where your mouth is. :D

Sorry Rocker, but if you ask me that argument is pretty short-sighted. I'm sure if you wouldn't have to dig very far to find out that Tiki is VERY active in helping the less fortunate. I don't see what playing an extra season would help there. What's to say he won't find a more lucrative deal once he retires with a sports network and what's to say he doesn't continue to help the less fortunate? If he's the type of man EVERYBODY says he is then he will.

Don't misunderstand me, I see why Tiki might want to still be able to walk after he's done playing football. I was just wondering if someday we'll all be judged by what we could have accomplish for others based off the gifts/talents given to us. Obviously I hope so since my talents are on the low end.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Tiki may be judged as Jim Brown was, but has the right to retire when he wannts.

They just played his statement on NFL Live. "Michael Irvin, thwe ultimate character guy..." Good for you Tiki.

This can be a distraction but it can also unite the team. Michael Irvin's an idiot.

The media sensationalizes everything and strives to create controversy in order to keep themselves employed. They are far more concerned with ratings and entertaining than actually reporting news.

It absolutely astounds me that Irvin even has a job considering his past. He is so full of himself and clearly believes that WRs are God's gift to the football game and that he is only 2nd to Jerry Rice (or so he says publically, he probably believes he is better than Rice in his heart).

So it is no surprise that he is blasting Tiki ... Tiki is a RB. Now if Torry Holt was announcing his retirement next year I'm sure Irvin would fully support him.

Personally I think it is a class act to retire at the top instead of letting your career trickle out until you are barely a shade of what you once were. I think more athletes should learn when to check out.

Irvin is a loser. :D

Much of the focus here is on Irvin and for sure he is a talentless buffoon but by far the worst of that feeble rabble (Young excepted - he must wonder what the heck he's doing there, he's like a saint in a wh00rhouse) is Jackson. The man can't speak without bellowing, his stupid "jacked up" thing is risible because of his idiot attempts to be "cool" and he knows nothing.

Three out of the four of them should be taken out and shot out of hand. The Sunday night pre-game is to ESPNs as Harvard is to a school for igneous rocks.

TV 'IDIOTS' FIRE BACK AT BARBER

By ANDREW MARCHAND

October 27, 2006 -- In the heat of games, Irvin said he thinks Barber's teammates might not be compelled to listen to him anymore.

"It kills his ability to lead," Irvin told The Post. "He is the leader of that football team. If I am a young guy and we are in a battle and we are banging heads and we are fighting. I'm out there getting hit and being hit and we are in a tough spot in a football game.

"If I am in the line of battle and Tiki comes to me and says, 'Come on, give me what you have!' I'm going to look at him and say, 'Aww, shut up. What are you talking about? You are quitting on us.' This stuff will come out on the sideline."

Yesterday, led by Eli Manning, Barber's teammates disagreed with Irvin's assessment, saying Barber's retirement plans becoming public have no impact.

"For us, it didn't change anything," Manning said. "We can't worry about next season. It is worrying about this week and this game. Now, we know we can really wear him out this season. We don't have to save anything for next season."

The issue of Barber as a possible distraction likely would have been silenced for the time being had Barber not resorted to name-calling on his Sirius Satellite Radio show Tuesday night.

On the "Barber Shop" - which Tiki is host of with his brother and Sunday opponent, Ronde of the Bucs - Barber called out some media members, including Irvin and ESPN's Tom Jackson, whom he labeled "idiots." Barber said the two offered opinions without speaking to him or anyone with the Giants.

Barber drew further attention to the situation by belittling Irvin, adding that Irvin is the "ultimate character guy, facetiously speaking, of course."

"Please get a clue about how to be a journalist," Barber concluded.

Irvin did not appreciate the personal attacks, but said it comes with the territory.

"I know people talk about Tiki as a class guy, but it is what it is," Irvin said. "The thing that struck me as odd is I try not to listen to idiots. I try not to let their opinions sway me in any way or control my feelings in any way. If you really thought that we were idiots, why would our opinion get to you so much?"

Jackson was listening to the "Barber Shop" when Tiki went on the offensive. Jackson said he was a bit surprised by Barber's harsh language, but stood by his belief that the situation is a "distraction" for the Giants.

"I thought that the name-calling seemed a bit unnecessary," Jackson told The Post yesterday.

Jackson is a huge Barber fan. He said he often watches Barber on Fox News' "Fox & Friends." On that show, Jackson said Barber opines on a variety of subjects.

"I was asked an opinion about a subject, just the way he is often asked an opinion about a myriad of topics, a plethora of things," Jackson said. "I'm assuming that often times that when he gives those opinions that he has not spoken directly to the people he is talking about because some of those opinions include the President of the United States, the Secretary of State, senators, governors, movies, books, I'm assuming he hasn't spoken to all those people before he gives those opinions. His opinion is no less valid. It is an opinion. That's all."

No matter how respected Jackson and Irvin were as players, no Giant was willing to side with them on the issue. In their public comments, the Giants all were squarely behind Barber.

"There is no quit in that guy," Antonio Pierce said. "He is still our leader on offense."

Plaxico Burress said, "I don't feel it has been a distraction at all. I'm sure everyone can see the way he is playing, the way he is running."

andrew.marchand@nypost.com